Ctrl/Y stopped working???
Author Message
 Ctrl/Y stopped working???

We just started seeing Ctrl/Y (user interrupt) stop working in our
images.  Although I have seen this once in a while before, now
it seems to be happening all the time, sometimes within a few
minutes of working in a new image.

Saving and restarting the image does not affect the problem,
rebuilding the image from scratch corrects it, but the it stops
again in a while.

Any suggestions?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ctrl/Y stopped working???
What have you loaded in ?  have you looked at InputState to see what the
interruptKey thinks it is ?

Quote:

--
James A. Robertson
Senior Sales Engineer

Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ctrl/Y stopped working???
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:53:58 GMT, "James A. Robertson"

Quote:

>What have you loaded in ?  have you looked at InputState to see what the
>interruptKey thinks it is ?

In the one case I checked that far, the interruptKey was correct
        16r00019
which is ctrl/y.

It just seems to ignore it.

Quote:

>> We just started seeing Ctrl/Y (user interrupt) stop working in our
>> images.  Although I have seen this once in a while before, now
>> it seems to be happening all the time, sometimes within a few
>> minutes of working in a new image.

>> Saving and restarting the image does not affect the problem,
>> rebuilding the image from scratch corrects it, but the it stops
>> again in a while.

>> Any suggestions?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ctrl/Y stopped working???

Quote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:53:58 GMT, "James A. Robertson"

> >What have you loaded in ?  have you looked at InputState to see what the
> >interruptKey thinks it is ?
> In the one case I checked that far, the interruptKey was correct
>         16r00019
> which is ctrl/y.

> It just seems to ignore it.

Ok - what parcels have you loaded into the image ?

--
James A. Robertson
Senior Sales Engineer
ParcPlace Division of CinCom

Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ctrl/Y stopped working???

Quote:

> In the one case I checked that far, the interruptKey was correct
>         16r00019
> which is ctrl/y.

> It just seems to ignore it.

Inspect ScheduledControllers, and see if the interruptLock iVar
is true.  If it is set it to false and see if that helps.

Regards,
- Bob

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ctrl/Y stopped working???
Dennis

Quote:
> We just started seeing Ctrl/Y (user interrupt) stop working in our
> images.  Although I have seen this once in a while before, now
> it seems to be happening all the time, sometimes within a few
> minutes of working in a new image.

> Saving and restarting the image does not affect the problem,
> rebuilding the image from scratch corrects it, but the it stops
> again in a while.

> Any suggestions?

Most likely it is the interrupt lock in ControlManager.  This usually
occurs after a lot of debugging.  If you are using PDP you can
do a 'ScheduledControllers recover' to reset the lock.

Terry Raymond       Smalltalk Professional Debug Package
Crafted Smalltalk   *Breakpoints* and *Watchpoints* for
19 Tilley Ave.                  VW and ENVY/Developer
Newport, RI  02840

http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ctrl/Y stopped working???
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:17:20 GMT, "James A. Robertson"

Quote:

>> On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 14:53:58 GMT, "James A. Robertson"

>> >What have you loaded in ?  have you looked at InputState to see what the
>> >interruptKey thinks it is ?
>> In the one case I checked that far, the interruptKey was correct
>>         16r00019
>> which is ctrl/y.

>> It just seems to ignore it.

>Ok - what parcels have you loaded into the image ?

UIPainter, DLL/C (not used much), vwave -- just for some
of its classes, not used normally, the ui-perform patch,
color-editing, AT, BOSS

non-VW stuff

PDP
Gemstone

However -- two others identified the immediate problem,
its the interrupt-lock in ScheduledControllers.  I almost
had it myself, but not quite :-(

Yes it occurred during heavy debugging as noted
by Terry in another post -- and in my case during
gemstone debugging which is even worse.

Thanks to all.

Dennis Smith, MaSc  --  Cherniak Software Development Corporation
400-10 Commerce Valley Dr E, Thornhill ON Canada  L3T 7N7
Phone: 905.771.7011      FAX: 905.771.6288

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ctrl/Y stopped working???
On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:50:58 -0400, "Terry Raymond"

Quote:

>Dennis

>> We just started seeing Ctrl/Y (user interrupt) stop working in our
>> images.  Although I have seen this once in a while before, now
>> it seems to be happening all the time, sometimes within a few
>> minutes of working in a new image.

>> Saving and restarting the image does not affect the problem,
>> rebuilding the image from scratch corrects it, but the it stops
>> again in a while.

>> Any suggestions?

>Most likely it is the interrupt lock in ControlManager.  This usually
>occurs after a lot of debugging.  If you are using PDP you can
>do a 'ScheduledControllers recover' to reset the lock.

Yup, thats it -- I will probably set up a menu item on my
own launcher to deal with it -- thanks to all.

>Terry Raymond       Smalltalk Professional Debug Package
>Crafted Smalltalk   *Breakpoints* and *Watchpoints* for
>19 Tilley Ave.                  VW and ENVY/Developer
>Newport, RI  02840

>http://www.craftedsmalltalk.com

Dennis Smith, MaSc  --  Cherniak Software Development Corporation
400-10 Commerce Valley Dr E, Thornhill ON Canada  L3T 7N7
Phone: 905.771.7011      FAX: 905.771.6288

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. TSR to stop CTRL-C and CTRL-Break

2. TSR to stop CTRL-C and CTRL-Break

3. Closing files if program stopped via CTRL C

4. Ctrl-C to stop C++ code in python

5. Working app stops working on new hardware

6. Disable(Ctrl+Alt+Del) not work in win95

7. Ctrl+. doesn't work with win2000

8. Ctrl-C and Ctrl-break

9. Ctrl-J and Ctrl-M with Microfocus under Unix

10. sending ctrl-break signal or ctrl-c

11. Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-C in the plugin

12. Ys not equivalent