Visual Age and AS/400
Author Message
 Visual Age and AS/400

Can anybody give me some idea of the relationship between VA and the
AS/400 ? I understand that there is an Envy Developer/400 product, does
this allow development of AS/400 Smalltalk or does this just use the
AS/400 as a library server with development occuring on attached PC's ?

I have an existing client with a large RPG legacy system who is looking
to move to a client/server system. What does VA offer ?

Will it be possible to call RPG legacy functions ?

Thanks in advance, Stephen

Mon, 28 Apr 1997 18:58:55 GMT
 Visual Age and AS/400
: Can anybody give me some idea of the relationship between VA and the
: AS/400 ? I understand that there is an Envy Developer/400 product, does
: this allow development of AS/400 smalltalk or does this just use the
: AS/400 as a library server with development occuring on attached PC's ?
I think neither, nor,
Envy/400, is a tool for the client (e.g. PC with WIN or OS/2), here
you develop the user interface, and additionaly you have access to the
data on the AS/400 transparently (as I have understood)
For example, you can browse through the DB localy, but which data-
manipulation here is possible I don't know. In the most cases
from Envy are systemcalls sent to the client, and the most real work
will be done under AS/400.

: I have an existing client with a large RPG legacy system who is looking
: to move to a client/server system. What does VA offer ?
One rumors here, IBM has planed a native port of VA to AS/400,
but what it will do in thruth, it knows only God. (or Gerstner only?)

BTW: we are exploring this item, for evtl. possibility of porting
  of our Smalltalk/X to AS/400. But the most problem, I thing here in
  Germany, is the very small amount of interested custommers... :-(

For furter discussion, please email me.
By

richard

        Richard von Lavante             Tomcat computer GmbH
        CEO                             Fruehlingstr. 4
        Tel: +49/(0)89-84 99 92         D-82110 Germering bei Muenchen
        Fax: +49-(0)89-84 95 44         Germany

        ******         Cogito ergo Smalltalk         ******

Wed, 30 Apr 1997 01:30:36 GMT
 Visual Age and AS/400

Quote:

>Can anybody give me some idea of the relationship between VA and the
>AS/400 ? I understand that there is an Envy Developer/400 product, does
>this allow development of AS/400 smalltalk or does this just use the
>AS/400 as a library server with development occuring on attached PC's ?
>I have an existing client with a large RPG legacy system who is looking
>to move to a client/server system. What does VA offer ?
>Will it be possible to call RPG legacy functions ?
>Thanks in advance, Stephen

There is an extension to VA which supplies the complete AS/400 class
library used in Envy/400 (basically). ENVY/400 is replaced by the
combination of VA and the class library. It does generate AS/400
Smalltalk, but provides client access into the AS/400. In addition
to providing both SQL and DDM access, it supports data queues,
CL commands, calling of native AS/400 programs, APPC/N.

Your client can swiftly develop nice client front-ends, and keep his
batch work on the AS/400, perhaps writing a little CL to enable him/her
to kick off the work via VA.

The class library includes a complete data access framework which can
be used to 'wrap' his AS/400 database records as objects.

Its a one stop-shop for client-server on the AS/400, although it is
not *completely* integrated with the AS/400. It is however, an enterprise
solution - if your client just wants to slap simple GUIs up, reading
data from the database, then they can play around with toys like
Visual Basic (stack problems), PowerBuilder (memory leaks) or
Gupta (try feeding the query optimiser a reasonably complicated query).
Be aware that the learning curve for the more complex stuff (ie the
Smalltalk) is steep, but the long term rewards are significant.

It is probably the fastest way to develop non-trivial CS systems
running into the AS/400.

Steve

Thu, 01 May 1997 13:23:34 GMT

1. Visual-age for Cobol talking to Visual-Age (C)

2. AS/400, RPG/400, COBOL, CL/400

3. Need Visual Age, Visual Works, and Visual Wave Smalltalk mentors and developers and C++ designers/developers

4. Visual Smalltalk and Visual Age crashes

5. Converting from Visual Smalltalk to Visual Age

6. Smalltalk Developer Visual Works-Visual Age Perm job in MN

7. Visual Age vs Visual Works with Gemstone

8. Rexx/400 & DB2/400

9. Old RM-COBOL UNIX programmer seeking info on move to COBOL/400 on AS/400

10. COBOL/400 on IBM AS/400

11. AS/400 / RPG/400

12. rpg/400 to cobol/400 conversion?