: Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988
Author Message
 : Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988

Dear Friends,

Does anyone know how to run Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988 under the
Command Shell [DOS-Box) of either WFW3.11 or NT or 95?

Waiting to hear from you soon.

Regards
Partha Roy

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 : Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988
You can't.  The memory management technique used by ST/V 286 is
incompatible with most protected mode operating systems.  I have heard of a
patch that someone wrote to use an acceptable extended memory manager (DPMI
I think), but I don't know where the patch can be had.

-Carl

Quote:
> Dear Friends,

> Does anyone know how to run Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988 under the
> Command Shell [DOS-Box) of either WFW3.11 or NT or 95?

> Waiting to hear from you soon.

> Regards
> Partha Roy

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 : Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988

Quote:

>Does anyone know how to run Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988 under the
>Command Shell [DOS-Box) of either WFW3.11 or NT or 95?

V/286 assumes it owns all memory above the 1 meg line. As I recall there
are ways to limit how much memory it uses and/or where it starts, but I'd
be surprised if it worked anymore except under an old version of DOS.

Dave

David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center, Hawthorne, NY

Home Page: http://www.dnsmith.com/
Any opinions or recommendations are those
of the author and not of his employer.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 : Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988

I still have some infos for customers using our DOS version of ATLAS.ti written in V/286.

Have a look at  http://www.atlasti.de/tipcontents2.html#Tips7

Same hints apply for the development environment as well.

- Thomas

: Dear Friends,

: Does anyone know how to run Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988 under the
: Command Shell [DOS-Box) of either WFW3.11 or NT or 95?

: Waiting to hear from you soon.

: Regards
: Partha Roy

Scientific Software Development  -  Internet: http://www.atlasti.de

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 : Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988
Forgot one thing: my solution will not let V/286 run in a DOS box. It will only let you run the system as a pure
DOS app. Because of the wicked DOS extender used by V/286 your wish is not to be fulfilled....
- Thomas

: Dear Friends,

: Does anyone know how to run Digitalk Smalltalk V/286 R1.1, 1988 under the
: Command Shell [DOS-Box) of either WFW3.11 or NT or 95?

: Waiting to hear from you soon.

: Regards
: Partha Roy

Scientific Software Development  -  Internet: http://www.atlasti.de

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Digitalk Smalltalk/V 286 on 386-486-PII?

2. Digitalk Smalltalk/V R1.1 for DOS info wanted

3. gnu smalltalk vs st/v vs digitalk

4. Smalltalk V/286 to Smalltalk 80

5. Translating Smalltalk V/286 to Smalltalk-80

6. Fortran development on 286/386/486 vs Pentium???

7. Wanted: Rdriver source code from 1988

8. Object Oriented Program Construction, 1988, by Bertrand Meyer?

9. 1988 Rochester Forth Conference

10. Abstracts for 1988 Rochester Forth Conference

11. LISP+FP Proceedings 1988 sought