Looking for pity...
Author Message
 Looking for pity...

Any words of wisdom for a Smalltalk programmer who has just been sentenced to
the Visual C++ gulag for the next few months. :<

Our client will not accept a Smalltalk solution (I don't know why not, we met
all of their requirements including performance). I plan to keep a journal of
my experiences making this most difficult transition.  Wish me luck...

Bill Hyman

Sat, 15 Feb 1997 21:47:59 GMT
 Looking for pity...

Quote:
Hyman) writes:
> Any words of wisdom for a Smalltalk programmer who has just been
sentenced to
> the Visual C++ gulag for the next few months. :<

> Our client will not accept a Smalltalk solution (I don't know why not,
we met
> all of their requirements including performance). I plan to keep a
journal of
> my experiences making this most difficult transition.  Wish me luck...

I don't know if this is wisdom or not but...

1. Take the opportunity to learn about C++.  Walking in the other guy's
mocassins
don't you know.  It won't hurt your resume and there are things to learn
there.  Be careful that you haven't estimated with ST in mind and are now
being called upon to deliver in C++ though.

2. Lose the journal.

3. The client (customer) is always (ultimately) right.

Charles M. Durrett
Emergentcies Co.

Sun, 16 Feb 1997 05:08:13 GMT
 Looking for pity...

Quote:
>Any words of wisdom for a Smalltalk programmer who has just been sentenced to
>the Visual C++ gulag for the next few months. :<

>Our client will not accept a Smalltalk solution (I don't know why not, we met
>all of their requirements including performance). I plan to keep a journal of
>my experiences making this most difficult transition.  Wish me luck...

>Bill Hyman

You have my sympathies, as I too had to make the same transition.
Since Windows isn't really an operating system, learn the 3 finger PC
salute (ctrl-alt-del) and identify the hard reset button -- you'll be
using these frequently.

Having used Smalltalk on a Sparc, I spent the first 2 months cursing
the PC and Windows.  I felt claustrophobic without the virtual window
manager and restrained by not really being able to run applications
simultaneously.  And then there is that damn GDI memory that keeps
running low.

As for C++, I'm interested in how your mind reacts to the trauma.  The
MS Foundation classes are okay, but they aren't as elegant or complete
as the Smalltalk class library.  Let us know how you feel about header
files, function prototypes, and other mundane details.

Good luck, best wishes for a swift exit from the gulag.

---

    ->|<-

Tue, 18 Feb 1997 04:50:25 GMT
 Looking for pity...

Quote:

>Any words of wisdom for a Smalltalk programmer who has just been sentenced to
>the Visual C++ gulag for the next few months. :<

>Our client will not accept a Smalltalk solution (I don't know why not, we met
>all of their requirements including performance). I plan to keep a journal of
>my experiences making this most difficult transition.  Wish me luck...

>Bill Hyman

Bill,

All I can say is you must have been a very bad boy! I think there should be a
provision in Clinton's crime bill outlawing this kind of treatment of valuable
Smalltalk programmers.

Papa

Wed, 19 Feb 1997 00:40:01 GMT
 Looking for pity...
Get a good application framework library (object library), such as Zapp.
Don't waste any time with MS foundation classes, at least not for user
interface purposes. If you get something like Zapp, you won't have to
learn any Windows programming, just C++.

Buy the Stroustrup books.  They're essential to understanding C++,
because to understand C++ and to use it well, you have to understand the
bits and bytes, function calls, virtual function pointers, memory
organization, stacks, etc.  Believe it or not, you might accidently learn
something about Smalltalk by studying C++.

Revise your cost estimate upwards.

Use the OO part of C++ extensively.  Just because it seems like a feeble
imitation of ST doesn't mean it's not useful.  Under no circumstance
reject the OO parts of C++ because it's not "pure".

In *your* opinion, why did the customer specify C++?  I'm curious.

Be grateful that they didn't tell you to write it in Visual Basic.

Mon, 03 Mar 1997 08:51:38 GMT
 Looking for pity...

writes:

[...]

-------------message separator--------------------------

Oh my....I'm just learning this stuff, coming into this with very little
technical background...I can see that I have a lot to learn...

:)

Kaliana Kellye of West Michigan
(Van Buren County on the Lake Michigan shoreline)

It's autumn here!

Tue, 04 Mar 1997 01:04:09 GMT

1. Argggg! Pity me. Pity me...

2. I must be an idiot, please pity me!

3. I must be an idiot, please pity me!

4. Pity for a FORTRAN programmer?

5. Using QvLib as Inventor look-alike? or free Inventor look-alike?

6. LOOKING FOR A JOB? Look here!

7. Are you looking for a job or know of someone who's looking?

8. Looking for SmallTalk programmers

9. Looking For: ToolTips on ActionButtons

10. Looking for Bill Cole from JumpStart !

11. Looking for contract position

12. Looking for UML course/instructor