ANN: Totally Objects News Server is moving
Author Message
 ANN: Totally Objects News Server is moving

Firstly, to those who do not use our public news server, I would like
to apologise for this post as it will not concern you.

To those who do use news.totallyobjects.com:

We are in the process of moving premises and the complications of
moving 60 miles and dropping one ADSL line to replace it with another
along with all the DNS changes has decided us to do the move in two
stages. The first stage is to move our current news server from the
in- house machine over to a server we rent in Maryland USA. Once we
have physically moved and proved out the new lines, we shall move the
news server back to the new location.

We are just about to make the move to Maryland. This should be
seamless (famous last words) as we have had a mirror news server
running for the last week and it seems to be functioning correctly.
Once the DNS changes have propogated, you should not see any
difference - fingers crossed. However, the DNews software we use is
very complex to set up and an awful lot of it happens under the hood
so it always seems to end up in chicken entrail mode :-)

Assuming you are using news.totallyobjects.com as the address then you
should move over without break - if you are using the IP address then
you get what you deserve - grin.

If you do find any problems then please e-mail me at

Thanks for your indulgence

P.S. we are moving www.totallyobjects.com as well but that should be
easy.

GO Smalltalk

http://www.*-*-*.com/ - THE Smalltalk resource

Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:21:23 GMT
 ANN: Totally Objects News Server is moving

Quote:

> Firstly, to those who do not use our public news server, I would like
> to apologise for this post as it will not concern you.

No dice! These posts give me nice warm 'n fuzzy feeling seeing how
people invest in the community (even though I don't make use of their
work in this particular case).

Quote:
> If you do find any problems then please e-mail me at

No mention of fingers crossed over the email server, so I not so humbly
suggest:
'If the mail doesn't work then please email me at

Good luck!

Reinout
-------

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 00:51:35 GMT
 ANN: Totally Objects News Server is moving
Fortunately, our e-mail servers are commercially hosted so we can't
mess them up :-)

Quote:

>> Firstly, to those who do not use our public news server, I would like
>> to apologise for this post as it will not concern you.

>No dice! These posts give me nice warm 'n fuzzy feeling seeing how
>people invest in the community (even though I don't make use of their
>work in this particular case).

>> If you do find any problems then please e-mail me at

>No mention of fingers crossed over the email server, so I not so humbly
>suggest:
>'If the mail doesn't work then please email me at

>Good luck!

>Reinout
>-------

GO SMALLTALK

http://www.totallyobjects.com - THE Smalltalk resource

Totally Objects is an IBM Object Connection member

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 15:13:57 GMT

1. ANN: Totally Objects News Server expected downtime.

2. ANN: New newsgroup on Totally Objects news server

3. Totally Objects news server off line for a few hours

4. Totally Objects News Server downtime

5. Totally Objects News Server Update

6. Totally Objects News Server update

7. Totally Objects News Server seems to be visible

8. Problem with Totally Objects News Server

9. ANN: Totally Objects New Server - we are back

10. ANN: Totally Objects New Server - we are back

11. Ann: Totally Objects downtime

12. Ann: Totally Object Newsserver upgrade