porting squeak to NetBSD on mac68k
Author Message
 porting squeak to NetBSD on mac68k

Hi!

Help! Could someone tell me how port squeak-2.2 to my unix box running NetBSD-1.3.2?
A couple year ago I checked out Squeak on a 68k macintosh. I was really impressed and recently saw that a port was done for NetBSD for Intel cpu boxes. I took the suggestion that GregOster did, iirc, and made the necessary changes to GNUmakefile.conf and sqConfig.h, but here's where gcc stops:

gcc -02 -g -I/usr/X11R6/include -I../src/ -c sqFilePrims.c
In file included from sq.h:7,
                 from sqFilePrims.c:1:
sqConfig.h:310: #error test for, and describe, your architecture here.
gmake: ***[sqFilePrims.o] Error 1

So it looks like the changes that GregOster mentions, don't seem to work on this mac hardware computer running NetBSD. Ian mentioned to test run gcc on an empty file to get the preproceesor stuff or whatever gcc needs to know about the operating system. I forgot what that was since I lost our original conversation.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian Wildasinn

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 porting squeak to NetBSD on mac68k

Quote:

> Help! Could someone tell me how port squeak-2.2 to my unix box running NetBSD-1.3.2?
> I took the suggestion that GregOster did, iirc, and made the necessary changes to GNUmakefile.conf and sqConfig.h, but here's where gcc stops:

> gcc -02 -g -I/usr/X11R6/include -I../src/ -c sqFilePrims.c
> In file included from sq.h:7,
>                  from sqFilePrims.c:1:
> sqConfig.h:310: #error test for, and describe, your architecture here.
> gmake: ***[sqFilePrims.o] Error 1

Brian -

I ran into the same problem when I did a headless VxWorks port.

The header file "sqConfig.h" expects symbols to be defined for processor
type and OS type which it uses to set flags controlling things like word
order, word alignment, support for timezones, etc. For example, for CPU
someone on a SGI might define "mips" and "_SYSTYPE_SVR4".

What is happening here is that the "sqConfig.h" header file is falling
through to the default case of warning you that either you have not
specified the proper #defines on the command line when you ran the
makefile (or hardcoded them in your version), or you have defined them
and that configuration is not supported.

Take a look at "sqConfig.h" and see if a case for you cpu/OS
architecture is there. If not, you may be able to use a similar one, or
else create one specific to your system by modifying an existing one.

I don't know many more specifics about the UNIX ports, so for more
detailed help, try the very active Squeak list which is accessible
through:
http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/

Best of luck. Squeak is really cool.

-Paul Fernhout
Kurtz-Fernhout Software
Creators of the GPL Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. g77 for netBSD/mac68k?

2. Porting GNAT to NetBSD/68k

3. NetBSD 1.4.2/sparc won't compile Python w/thread support from ports collection

4. SBCL port to NetBSD

5. Tcl/TK ported on Amiga-NetBSD

6. Squeak on HPUX porting

7. An updated Squeak GLORP port

8. Squeak: port to Psion5

9. Squeak Glorp port and documentation

10. Porting Squeak->VW

11. SQUEAK Port to EPOC

12. SIF To Port Code (Squeak Dolphin) Available