Problem with Small Fonts Big Fonts
Author Message
 Problem with Small Fonts Big Fonts

Hello,

we get problems with the font settings in windows. We develope
in Smallfaonts and some of the users have big fonts. SO the
output at some Pcs is really bad, labels are to long, to less
space for lists....

Please help with tricks.

Thanks Armin

Tue, 29 Jul 1997 20:56:44 GMT
 Problem with Small Fonts Big Fonts

Quote:
> we get problems with the font settings in windows. We develope
> in Smallfaonts and some of the users have big fonts. SO the
> output at some Pc4s is really bad, labels are to long, to less
> space for lists....

> Please help with tricks.

Try developing with large fonts? :)

Travis Griggs
Siemens Power Corporation

Tue, 29 Jul 1997 17:12:36 GMT
 Problem with Small Fonts Big Fonts

Quote:
>Hello,
>we get problems with the font settings in windows. We develope
>in Smallfaonts and some of the users have big fonts. SO the
>output at some Pcs is really bad, labels are to long, to less
>space for lists....
>Please help with tricks.
>Thanks Armin

Shay,

  The question you raise is very old and very controversial. I've seen a
company's development guideline that said: "Always use accessors, never refer
instance variables directly". I've also seen a guideline in some other company,
that said: "Accsseors are bad since they violate encapsulation. Avoid them".
Personally I hate looking at it as another religious issue. I use instance
variables freely, there is nothing wrong with that. However I find accessors
to have their own advantages and in most cases I prefer using them.

Accessors make the code safer when structural changes are expected, since changes in structure only affect them. Also accessors can be nicely used for lazy initialization. The VW aspects generated by the builder are a nice example.
When having objects with heavy initialization, lazy initialization can be
used for load balance (perceived performance) and also to avoid initialization
of instances that are not accessed (those things that take long time to
initialize, but are only used in very special scenarios).
Setting accessors can also be used for triggering other activities that
must be coupled with the state change.

It is rightly said that accessors violate encapsulation. This is true since
Smalltalk does not have private methods. This isn't specific to accessors
and has to do with methods in general. To document their privacy, private
methods can be placed in private protocols or one can use some naming convention. For example, a recent article in the Smalltalk Report, suggested prefixing private accessors with "my". This helps discovering when accessors
are being used inappropriately.

Regards,

---------------------------------
  Uri Eshkar    Boole & Babbage
  Voice:        (408)526-3418
  Fax:          (408)526-3055

Wed, 30 Jul 1997 06:01:38 GMT

1. Tk and big (BIG) fonts

2. BIG fonts problem

3. Workspace font is neglecting dolphin font option

4. Fonts and Font Menu

5. Font Editor for Oberon fonts

6. ROM font question... 8x8 font

7. RFC: Accessing special font characters in 8-bit fonts

8. Deperately seeking Tk font expertise (was Re: TIP #64: Improvements to Windows Font Handling)

9. Tk system fonts don't match actual system fonts

10. font size taken wrong from X font

11. Default font for wish and/or Font tool availability

12. tk: substitute default font if font request fails?