virtual reality type app, help!
Author Message
 virtual reality type app, help!

  I am building a 'virtual space' type of application.
I need to be able to layer several images over one another and have
control over how much the underlying images show through.
  My graphics designer partner (non-programmer) helping with the project
tells me I need to be able to apply an 8 bit transparency mask (alpha mask)
to a 24 bit image to control how much the underlying images show through.
  Does anyone know of an class library for VisualWorks 2.0 that offers
this transparency mask support, i.e. 32bit graphics support (24bit image
plus 8 bit transparency masks)? Has someone already built a class for this
purpose that they will be willing to give away or sell?
  Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
   Thanks,

   Object Solutions Inc.
   101 Northcliffe Boulevard, Suite 8
   Toronto, ON CANADA M6E 3K3
   (416) 652-6480 FAX: (416) 652-7567

Thu, 22 May 1997 07:11:18 GMT
 virtual reality type app, help!

Quote:

>   I am building a 'virtual space' type of application.
> I need to be able to layer several images over one another and have
> control over how much the underlying images show through.

You might want to take a look at the latest UIST proceedings (User
Interface Systems and Technologies) 1994, Marina del Ray, ACM.  I have a
paper in there titled: Translucent Patches-Dissolving Windows.  It is
about using irregular shaped, translucent patches as a structuring
concept, unifying selection, subviews, and windows...

Anyway, the system is implemented in Smalltalk, and the code snippets
in the paper are Smalltalk.  Even though I was not dealing with
images, but with graphical objects like polygons and text, it might
give you some food for thought...

Enjoy!
        axel

Sat, 24 May 1997 23:07:30 GMT

1. virtual REALITY - more REALITY

2. Virtual Schooling a Virtual Reality?

3. Virtual Schooling a Virtual Reality?

4. SmallTalk, Self, etc. used in Virtual Reality

5. Virtual Reality Programming

6. Virtual Reality

7. My Virtual Reality system

8. CD-ROM - VRML lion - a Virtual Reality programmers resource

9. Virtual Reality Assistantship

10. TUTORIALS: automated graphics, virtual reality, visual languages

11. Virtual Reality Toolbox for MATLAB - Interactive Demo