VW and "foreign" characters
Author Message
 VW and "foreign" characters

Hi all,

  Is it possible to use, French (or German) characters in VisualWorks at
least for commenting the code ?

Alain

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 02:24:01 GMT
 VW and "foreign" characters

Quote:
> Is it possible to use, French (or German) characters in
> VisualWorks at least for commenting the code ?

Yes sure: comments, strings, class-, method-, variable-names with
foreign-characters are absolutely no problem.

Even tough I would not suggest to use these characters in class-, method- or
variable-names: Probably not everybody using your code is able to type these
characters on their keyboard.

Cheers
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://renggli.freezope.org

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 04:04:41 GMT
 VW and "foreign" characters
Lukas,

Lukas Renggli schrieb:
 > Yes sure: comments, strings, class-, method-, variable-names with
 > foreign-characters are absolutely no problem.

I agree on the strings and comments, but I am quite sure that using
special characters like "A Umlaut" as part of a method name or class
name. The compiler won't let you add a method named
"bersetzeInsHebr?ische". It won't accept a new class to be created
named "?nderungsbescheid"...

What dialect are you using? VisualAge and VisualWorks along with Dolphin
and Smalltalk/X don't accept special characters for source code...

Joachim

Haeslenweg 28                        http://www.objektfabrik.de
D-71642 Ludwigsburg
Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 06:47:01 GMT
 VW and "foreign" characters

Quote:
> Lukas,

> Lukas Renggli schrieb:
>  > Yes sure: comments, strings, class-, method-, variable-names with
>  > foreign-characters are absolutely no problem.

> I agree on the strings and comments, but I am quite sure that using
> special characters like "A Umlaut" as part of a method name or class
> name. The compiler won't let you add a method named
> "bersetzeInsHebr?ische".

I think the original would not work as well..... Can compiler read from
right to left?
I think too, selectors, class names etc... should use  first 127 characters
of ASCII set...
(with exception of characters that are not letters or digits:)

Quote:
> It won't accept a new class to be created
> named "?nderungsbescheid"...

Once I was working with algol-like programming language, where key words and
function
names were written in cyrilic.... Of course, if you tried to write
subroutine name using English letters
it complained about foreign characters.... :)
I have worked also in Swedish, German, French, Dutch, Czech software
environment
and I was so happy that all function names tried to be in English..... I
don't imagine to
be reusing software where function names would be written in local
languages....:)

 Vlastik

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 07:32:18 GMT
 VW and "foreign" characters

Quote:
>  > Yes sure: comments, strings, class-, method-, variable-names with
>  > foreign-characters are absolutely no problem.

> I agree on the strings and comments, but I am quite sure that using
> special characters like "A Umlaut" as part of a method name or class
> name. The compiler won't let you add a method named
> "bersetzeInsHebr?ische". It won't accept a new class to be created
> named "?nderungsbescheid"...

As I have written I would not suggest to do it, but such method and class
names work well with my VisualWorks 7 image.

Quote:
> What dialect are you using? VisualAge and VisualWorks along
> with Dolphin and Smalltalk/X don't accept special characters for
> source code...

Cheers
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://renggli.freezope.org

Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:43:41 GMT
 VW and "foreign" characters
It's been some 10 years, but I remember you could actually use Japanese
characters in VW.  I did some experiments with that, and if I remember
cortrectly, I did have some classes defined in Kanji.  The documentation
said that someone had actually written an all Japanese Smalltalk.  No, I
don't know what they called Object in it.  "Obujekuto" in katakana would be
the official term...

Now if you can still do that, German and French should be a breeze.

Quote:
> Lukas,

> Lukas Renggli schrieb:
>  > Yes sure: comments, strings, class-, method-, variable-names with
>  > foreign-characters are absolutely no problem.

> I agree on the strings and comments, but I am quite sure that using
> special characters like "A Umlaut" as part of a method name or class
> name. The compiler won't let you add a method named
> "bersetzeInsHebr?ische". It won't accept a new class to be created
> named "?nderungsbescheid"...

> What dialect are you using? VisualAge and VisualWorks along with Dolphin
> and Smalltalk/X don't accept special characters for source code...

> Joachim

> --

> Haeslenweg 28                        http://www.objektfabrik.de
> D-71642 Ludwigsburg
> Telefon: +49 7141 56 10 86 0         Fax: +49 7141 56 10 86 1

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:42:26 GMT
 VW and "foreign" characters

Quote:

>> Is it possible to use, French (or German) characters in VisualWorks at
>> least for commenting the code ?

> Yes sure: comments, strings, class-, method-, variable-names with
> foreign-characters are absolutely no problem.
> Even tough I would not suggest to use these characters in class-,
> method- or variable-names: Probably not everybody using your code is
> able to type these characters on their keyboard.

I did some tests and the problem lies with the keyboard.  I'm using a
German keyboard and the German letters are allright.  They are printed in
the comments, for instance.  But when I try to use French letters it's no
go.

The OS is Linux, Mandrake 8.2.

When I type the following, in any Linux application whatsoever, from
emacs to Star Office to this newsgroup reading software, they are right,
like this: a?.  But with VW they are like this:e`euc.  Looks like
VW does not following system-wide settings.  Is it possible to modify the
behaviour of the keyboard under VW ?

Cheers,

Alain

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 02:18:20 GMT
 VW and "foreign" characters
Works fine in VSE

DummyClass>>bersetzeInsHebr?ische
        "test"
   ^true

compiled fine and I was able to call it too.

-Charles-A.

Quote:

> >  > Yes sure: comments, strings, class-, method-, variable-names with
> >  > foreign-characters are absolutely no problem.

> > I agree on the strings and comments, but I am quite sure that using
> > special characters like "A Umlaut" as part of a method name or class
> > name. The compiler won't let you add a method named
> > "bersetzeInsHebr?ische". It won't accept a new class to be created
> > named "?nderungsbescheid"...

> As I have written I would not suggest to do it, but such method and class
> names work well with my VisualWorks 7 image.

> > What dialect are you using? VisualAge and VisualWorks along
> > with Dolphin and Smalltalk/X don't accept special characters for
> > source code...

> Cheers
> Lukas

Tue, 05 Jul 2005 05:54:50 GMT

1. '"""' and linefeed characters

2. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

3. Characters "?", "?", "ΓΌ" shown in wrong font

4. "Smalltalk-VisualAge-VW-Java - DC, CO"

5. "VW Contract/Free Training in DST"

6. VAST Manual Like VW "Cookbook".

7. How to call "system" using VW

8. "Smalltalk contracts-VA-VW-CO"