Availability ads a sign of weakness or strength?
Author Message
 Availability ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:

> Anybody care to comment on how IBM's WebObjects (I *think* that's what they're
> calling it) for VisualAge compares to VisualWave?

> Also, is WebObjects a real product yet?  Anybody know?

> Nevin

IBM's WebObjects?
I haven't ever heard of WebObjects being from IBM yet. The only
WebObjects I know are those from NeXT. I recently downloaded the free
WebObjects for NT from www.next.com. That product addresses quite the
same purposes as VisualWave does. They base on NeXT's FoundationKit and
PDO's (Portable Distributed Object, CORBA compatible).
Currently there are three different versions provided by NeXT:

        *WebObjects*, where programming is only in possible in
        an Objective-C-like script language.

        *WebObjects Pro*, containing PDO's, Distributed OLE, and a
        full Objective-C development environment.

        *WebObjects Enterprise*, including EOF (Enterprise Objects
        Framework), an interface framework to relational databases,
        quite similar to the Object Lens in VisualWorks.

Daniel

Tue, 17 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Availability ads a sign of weakness or strength?

Quote:

> > Anybody care to comment on how IBM's WebObjects (I *think* that's what they're
> > calling it) for VisualAge compares to VisualWave?

> > Also, is WebObjects a real product yet?  Anybody know?

> > Nevin

> IBM's WebObjects?
> I haven't ever heard of WebObjects being from IBM yet. The only
> WebObjects I know are those from NeXT.

Yes, NeXT's product is "WebObjects".

I believe IBM's is something like "WebParts", or something like that.
I got a letter from IBM about a month ago concerning it.  I wish
I could find the letter.

Never-the-less, IBM *does* have a Web-building add-in for VA.  However,
it might only be in beta right now.  I don't really know.  That's
why I'm posting.

Anybody know?

Nevin

Tue, 17 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Availability ads a sign of weakness or strength?

: I believe IBM's is something like "WebParts", or something like that.
: I got a letter from IBM about a month ago concerning it.  I wish
: I could find the letter.

: Never-the-less, IBM *does* have a Web-building add-in for VA.  However,
: it might only be in beta right now.  I don't really know.  That's
: why I'm posting.

: Anybody know?

Currently called IBM VisualAge for Smalltalk Web Connection.  In beta,
due to be out soon.  Watch next week or so for an official announce
letter ...

--
Patrick Mueller  | IBM Software Solutions, RTP NC; 919-254-4307, tie 444

                 | home page (for IBMers): http://pmuellr.raleigh.ibm.com

Tue, 24 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

2. Availabilty ads sign of health or strength?

3. Re?2?: Availablity ads a sign of weakness or strength?

4. Ada95 Strengths/Weaknesses.

5. Syntax alterability, strength or weakness? (was: What good is it?)

6. ANSI CLISP: strengths vs. weaknesses?

7. Announcing DOS port availability (fwd) (Was: Announcing DOS port availability (fwd))

8. Converting ADS/Netware to ADS/NT

9. Good Sign or Bad Sign?

10. EventMessageSend weakness

11. Constness in languages (Re: java weaknesses and peculiararities)

12. A great weakness inherent in WEL --the WEL_MENU class (and others)