Smalltalk vs. Texas Instruments Composer
Author Message
 Smalltalk vs. Texas Instruments Composer

I'm a 3rd year Smalltalk developer.  Smalltalk is not an approved development
tool in my shop (despite my efforts at persuasion).  The CIO has charged the
head of IS R&D to select a client/server development environment.

One of the tools that Smalltalk will be compared to is Composer by Texas
Instruments(because we've had it in-house for a couple years).  I don't know
much about Composer.  Therefore, I would ask the news group readers  familiar
with both Smalltalk and Composer to please forward their comparisons between
Smalltalk and Composer to me.

IMHO, Composer can't hold a candle to Smalltalk, but the CIO won't take my
word on that (he's not a technical guy, and not very familiar with OO
technology, and hasn't taken the time to learn about OO yet).  So I would like
to be able to present factual comparisons and real life experiences to carry
the day.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan Habeck

Wed, 14 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk vs. Texas Instruments Composer

Quote:

> I'm a 3rd year Smalltalk developer.  Smalltalk is not an approved development
> tool in my shop (despite my efforts at persuasion).  The CIO has charged the
> head of IS R&D to select a client/server development environment.

> One of the tools that Smalltalk will be compared to is Composer by Texas
> Instruments(because we've had it in-house for a couple years).  I don't know
> much about Composer.  Therefore, I would ask the news group readers  familiar
> with both Smalltalk and Composer to please forward their comparisons between
> Smalltalk and Composer to me.

> IMHO, Composer can't hold a candle to Smalltalk, but the CIO won't take my
> word on that (he's not a technical guy, and not very familiar with OO
> technology, and hasn't taken the time to learn about OO yet).  So I would like
> to be able to present factual comparisons and real life experiences to carry
> the day.

TI uses Smalltalk to run their chip fabs.  TI is where the original version of
PPD's VW GUI builder was developed.

--
Alan L. Lovejoy         |==============================================|
Smalltalk Consultant    |       Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs!          |

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk vs. Texas Instruments Composer

Quote:

> > I'm a 3rd year Smalltalk developer.  Smalltalk is not an approved development
> > tool in my shop (despite my efforts at persuasion).  The CIO has charged the
> > head of IS R&D to select a client/server development environment.

> > One of the tools that Smalltalk will be compared to is Composer by Texas
> > Instruments(because we've had it in-house for a couple years).  I don't know
> > much about Composer.  Therefore, I would ask the news group readers  familiar
> > with both Smalltalk and Composer to please forward their comparisons between
> > Smalltalk and Composer to me.

> > IMHO, Composer can't hold a candle to Smalltalk, but the CIO won't take my
> > word on that (he's not a technical guy, and not very familiar with OO
> > technology, and hasn't taken the time to learn about OO yet).  So I would like
> > to be able to present factual comparisons and real life experiences to carry
> > the day.

> TI uses Smalltalk to run their chip fabs.  TI is where the original version of
> PPD's VW GUI builder was developed.

TI is still developing a computer integrated manufacturing system in
Smalltalk for their chip fabs.  The main manufacturing system is
Cobol/Mainframe based.  I think a better comparison would be Smalltalk
vs. Performer (the new component-based, model-driven development
environment).

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk vs. Texas Instruments Composer

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:30:55 -0800, Alan Lovejoy

Quote:

>> I'm a 3rd year Smalltalk developer.  Smalltalk is not an approved development
>> tool in my shop (despite my efforts at persuasion).  The CIO has charged the
>> head of IS R&D to select a client/server development environment.

>> One of the tools that Smalltalk will be compared to is Composer by Texas
>> Instruments(because we've had it in-house for a couple years).  I don't know
>> much about Composer.  Therefore, I would ask the news group readers  familiar
>> with both Smalltalk and Composer to please forward their comparisons between
>> Smalltalk and Composer to me.

>> IMHO, Composer can't hold a candle to Smalltalk, but the CIO won't take my
>> word on that (he's not a technical guy, and not very familiar with OO
>> technology, and hasn't taken the time to learn about OO yet).  So I would like
>> to be able to present factual comparisons and real life experiences to carry
>> the day.

>TI uses Smalltalk to run their chip fabs.  TI is where the original version of
>PPD's VW GUI builder was developed.

>--
>Alan L. Lovejoy             |==============================================|
>Smalltalk Consultant        |       Beware of Geeks bearing GIFs!          |

We had some discussions some days ago with a customer, that has done
some projects with IEF and wanted to compare it to VA/Smalltalk:
Here is only some hints of what should be looked at in greater detail:
- in general
        Smalltalk is a development environment and a language.
        IEF/Composer is case tool that doesn't want you do do any
        coding, instead generates code.
- object-orientation
        To my knowledge IEF/Composer is one of the few tool that
        doesn't proclaim to be object-oriented. It really does
        classical data and process modelling.Smalltalk is purely
        object-oriented.
- language/development environment vs. case tool
        With IEF/Composer you can really manage a project from
        requirement analysis to deployment. I don't know of any
        Smalltalk environment that would be able to handle this at
        that time. You still need to add some kind of analysis/design
        tool in the beginning of the oo-lifecycle and some
        test/deployment aids at the end.
- development constraints
        if you start an oo-development with an oo-design tool you are
        open to implement it with any kind of oo-tool or language. if
        you use a tool like IEF/Composer you are really locked into

        it.
This is only a few comments about it, hope it helps ?
Frank Stuetzel, IBM Global Services

Mon, 16 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Clipper & Texas Instruments Pro 600 Laser Printer

2. Forth for the Texas Instrument TMS320 DSP processor

3. Oberon and Texas Instruments DSPs

4. texas instrument

5. Problems with PC Scheme (Texas Instruments)

6. FTP address of Texas Instruments Scheme Software

7. Texas Instruments PC Scheme

8. Texas Instruments appoints DDC-I Exclusive Distributor for Three Ada Products

9. Internal Staffing at Texas Instruments - FPGA w/VHDL

10. Protected mode bug in Texas Instruments 486DLC-40BGA CPUs

11. Texas Instruments TMS320C3201

12. Problems with PC Scheme (Texas Instruments)