Break points active and enabled but not working
Author Message
 Break points active and enabled but not working

I am running a VisualAge Smalltalk 5.5.2 image.

I have one break point set, and it's value is just true (or even
Transcript cr; show: 'Hello'. true).  The break point is enabled, and
breakpoints in general are enabled in the image.
Code browsers even show a nice red spot were I have set the break point.

If I invoke the method, the break point does nothing, no de{*filter*}, no
Hello in the transcript.
If I look at the classes methodsArray, I can find the method, and it is
a DbgBreakpointedMethod.
If I step into the method via the de{*filter*} (and self halt method), I
still see the red spot, but nothing happens with the breakpoint.

Does anyone know what cases this, or even where I should look?
I can fix the problem by re-loading the image from config maps, but I
would prefer to know why.

Thank you,
Warren.

--

Warren Stanley
Technical Consultant

Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:05:02 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working
Are you sure that the break point is within the code being executed, not
just in the method?
It's not too hard to accidentally position the break point lower in the
method, or *within* a line of code, so that execution bypasses it.
DAMHIK ;-)
--
Bob Nemec
Northwater Objects

Quote:
> I am running a VisualAge Smalltalk 5.5.2 image.

> I have one break point set, and it's value is just true (or even
> Transcript cr; show: 'Hello'. true).  The break point is enabled, and
> breakpoints in general are enabled in the image.
> Code browsers even show a nice red spot were I have set the break point.

> If I invoke the method, the break point does nothing, no de{*filter*}, no
> Hello in the transcript.
> If I look at the classes methodsArray, I can find the method, and it is
> a DbgBreakpointedMethod.
> If I step into the method via the de{*filter*} (and self halt method), I
> still see the red spot, but nothing happens with the breakpoint.

> Does anyone know what cases this, or even where I should look?
> I can fix the problem by re-loading the image from config maps, but I
> would prefer to know why.

> Thank you,
> Warren.

> --

> Warren Stanley
> Technical Consultant
> R&D team
> Application Solutions

Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:29:13 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working
On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 14:05:02 +1100, Warren Stanley

Quote:

>I am running a VisualAge Smalltalk 5.5.2 image.

>I have one break point set, and it's value is just true (or even
>Transcript cr; show: 'Hello'. true).  The break point is enabled, and
>breakpoints in general are enabled in the image.
>Code browsers even show a nice red spot were I have set the break point.

>If I invoke the method, the break point does nothing, no de{*filter*}, no
>Hello in the transcript.
>If I look at the classes methodsArray, I can find the method, and it is
>a DbgBreakpointedMethod.
>If I step into the method via the de{*filter*} (and self halt method), I
>still see the red spot, but nothing happens with the breakpoint.

>Does anyone know what cases this, or even where I should look?
>I can fix the problem by re-loading the image from config maps, but I
>would prefer to know why.

I have a vague recollection that this can sometimes happen when the
method has been optimized in the underlying VM. The VM does not
actually keep the execution model (Contexts, BlockContexts, etc) in
the image during "normal" execution -- it instead creates it when
needed, such as during a breakpoint. While the VM is generally pretty
good at doing this transparently, it does occasionally get confused.

I don't think you need to rebuild the image. Have you tried clearing
the breakpoint, making an innocuous change to the method, saving, and
then reinserting the breakpoint? Failing that, I'd certainly try
saving, exiting, and restarting the image before giving up on it
altogether.

Thanks,
Tom

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:39:46 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working
Tom,

I have tried different code for the break point, I have tried unsetting the
break point, and then resetting it, still the same behavior.
I have also just tried making a null change to the method (changed a
comment), saved the method (unsetting the break point), and set the break
point again, and it still does not work!!
I had also already tried saving the image, exiting and restarting, still with
no luck :-(

Any more idea's to throw at the problem?

Thanks,
Warren.

Quote:

--

Warren Stanley
Technical Consultant

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:44:13 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working
Bob,

the behavior is the same for all methods in the image, be they simple getter's
or setter's (with no branches at all), or more complex methods.  And the break
point is usually being set at the method entry point (in the code browser it
is on the method signature).

I have tried checking for my own stupidity may times, but I don't think I am
that stupid. :-)

Any other idea's?

Thank's,
Warren.

Quote:

--

Warren Stanley
Technical Consultant

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:51:56 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working
Warren,
have you set the "Stop in process" or "Stop at iteration" fields of the
breakpoint
to something other than "<all>"?
Cheers
Wolfgang

Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:31:50 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working
Wolfgang,

the process and iteration fields are both set to <all>.

Any other ideas?

Thankyou,
Warren.

Quote:

--

Warren Stanley
Technical Consultant

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 06:30:15 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working

Quote:

> on the method signature

Simple setter or getter AND on the method signature...

Trying to "lower"itbefore the "^" or the assignment ?

Just 2 cents, but I've astrong  "deja vu"...

    Davide Grandi
--
Ing. Davide Grandi

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 07:30:03 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working
Davide,

the main method I am concerned about is not just a simple getter or
setter, but changing the location of the breakpoint to around the return
or the assignment doesn't make any difference.

Thanks,
Warren.

Quote:

--

Warren Stanley
Technical Consultant

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:24:30 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working
Ok,

Is it just this method which won't breakpoint? If breakpoints in other
classes/methods aren't working either, then I suspect you must have
breakpoints disabled globally.

I had a similar problem once which had me scratching my head for a
while. I managed to get two images up without noticing. I set the
breakpoint in one image and executed the code in the other and then
wondered why I never hit it! I guess though that if you can see your
red breakpoint when you step throught the code then you haven't done
this......

Cheers,

Lee

Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:06:21 GMT
 Break points active and enabled but not working
I have moved on from this problem before the original post, but I am
curious.  I still have an image that is giving me the described behavior,
and I run it by it's self.  It is for any method the I create a breakpoint
in, and everything I look at tells me that it should work.

Thanks,
Warren.

Quote:

--

Warren Stanley
Technical Consultant

Sat, 27 Aug 2005 07:28:18 GMT

1. oMEN:enabled not working?

2. This code does not work if cookies are enabled

3. Expect5.31 configured with --enable-threads does not work on Solaris2.5.1

4. BREAK(oError) Not Working

5. Windows regsitry BROKEN - DOES NOT WORK AT ALL

6. Menu bars and widgets will not activate when window is not active

7. Answers, Chapter 2: to point or not to point

8. Answers, Chapter 2: to point or not to point

9. I am having problems setting the page break through Active X

10. ActiveState Active Awards voting is broken

11. Setting active font to bold breaks highlighting

12. Enabling floating point traps in g77