Recently I tried to run GNU Smalltalk on my 386, but alas, it requires a
387. Oh, how disappointed I was. Anybody know anything about this?
Alternatives? Thanx.

Tue, 24 Jun 1997 03:40:40 GMT
 GNU smalltalk problems
: Recently I tried to run GNU smalltalk on my 386, but alas, it requires a
: 387. Oh, how disappointed I was. Anybody know anything about this?
: Alternatives? Thanx.

Below is a posting from gnu.smalltalk.bug that explains how to handle
some of the problems with the DOS port.

-j|g
----8<----

Date: Sat, 5 Mar 1994 17:09:55 GMT

There are two ports of GCC that work with DOS: djgpp and emx.

Both user dos extenders to get the 32-bit flat memory model features
that it needs.

djgpp uses a dos extender called go32.exe.  This is the environment
that ST was ported with.

emx uses a dos extender called emx.exe (I think, i'm not really sure,
and may be wrong on this point).  There is an alternate extender that
works with emx called rsx.  emx is primarily an os/2 development
environment, support for dos is minimal at best and just happens to be
there.  The rsx extender was an attempt to get emx programs to work
with dpmi which is the dos-extender protocol available in dos boxes
under ms-windows, win nt, and os/2.

In short: you cannot use rsx with djgpp developed products, such as
gnu st.

Solution: ftp to oak.oakland.edu and check out the directory
pub/msdos/djgpp.  In one of the zip files there (i'm not sure which, I
think there is a manifest around) there is a file called emu387.  This
is the 387 emulator for djgpp.  Put the file emu387 somewhere on your
home system then do the following:

set go32=emu c:\path1\path2\etc\emu387

This will then let the extender work with the emulator.  If it's also
on oak, you may want to get the wmemu387.  This is an alternate
emulator, a bit faster supposedly.  I'm not sure, I have a coprocessor
so hard for me to tell.

Btw, omnigate.clarkson.edu is the official distrubution point of
djgpp, but it has a 56k link and so tends to be slow.  oakland is a
mirror and a bit faster.

mrc
--
Mike Castle .-=NEXUS=-.  Life is like a clock:  You can work constantly

    We are all of us living in the shadow of Manhattan.  -- Watchmen

--

 Raabestr. 2   | before I hear what I think? | +49 511 698684
30177 Hannover +-----------------------------+ S: Pelikanstr.

Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:42:08 GMT

1. GNU-Smalltalk problems

2. Problems building GNU Smalltalk 2.1 with Cygwin

3. GNU Smalltalk for DOS Problem

4. GNU Smalltalk for DOS Problem

5. GNU Smalltalk Install problem

6. Problems with GNU Smalltalk on HPUX

7. GNU Smalltalk-MSDOS problem

8. All solutions of eight-queen problem in GNU Smalltalk(wanted advice)

9. gnu smalltalk 1.2/HP-C problem with stix

10. GNU Smalltalk-1.1 problems

11. GNU Smalltalk/Emacs Interactor Problem (and STIX)

12. Smalltalk/V286 and gnu Smalltalk