Auto Testing GUI
Author Message
 Auto Testing GUI

We are currently developing an application for the Mac platform with ParkPlace
Smalltalk.  We want to automate the testing of the GUI and have heard of two
applications that may apply: MS Test and Apple's Virtual User.  Here is
a list of my main concerns:

1)  MS Test costs about $600 while VU costs about $150.  This difference in
price has me concerned about the quality of Apple's application.

2) ParkPlace Smalltalk does not use native widgets therefore the testing
software should respect this.  I think this caveat implies that the
testing software should not be one that sends messages to widgets.

3) The application will run on the Mac platform.  Does this imply that
testing needs to be done on the Mac platform?

Could anyone share their experiences with MS Test, VU, or any other
automated GUI test tool in conjunction with Parkplace Smalltalk apps.

Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:25:13 GMT
 Auto Testing GUI
Quote:

> We are currently developing an application for the Mac platform with ParkPlace
> Smalltalk.  We want to automate the testing of the GUI and have heard of two
> applications that may apply: MS Test and Apple's Virtual User.  Here is
> a list of my main concerns:

> 1)  MS Test costs about $600 while VU costs about $150.  This difference in
> price has me concerned about the quality of Apple's application.

> 2) ParkPlace Smalltalk does not use native widgets therefore the testing
> software should respect this.  I think this caveat implies that the
> testing software should not be one that sends messages to widgets.

> 3) The application will run on the Mac platform.  Does this imply that
> testing needs to be done on the Mac platform?

> Could anyone share their experiences with MS Test, VU, or any other
> automated GUI test tool in conjunction with Parkplace Smalltalk apps.

I am interested also in experience with these two software packages or any
others and how they relate to VisualWorks as well.

Travis Griggs
Siemens Power Corp.

Mon, 23 Jun 1997 23:01:49 GMT

1. The auto-test feature under MAX

2. auto generation of make files, best location for tests

3. Auto-testing for memory leaks.

4. auto black box testing of tk app

5. ** APS (GUI) opportunity ** APS (GUI) ** APS (GUI) Experience required

6. Smalltalk and GUI Testing

7. Automatic GUI testing of Envy/VW apps???

8. X11 Automatic Smalltalk GUI Testing System

9. Test of the GUI of a Windows program

10. OS/2 GUI testing with REXX

11. Test::Unit GUI

12. Unit testing in GUI environment