Drop Down Combo Box Issue?
Author Message
 Drop Down Combo Box Issue?

A further clue - I went in to View Composer, and:

1) Used Save As... to mat another copy of the resource - SUnit Runner 3.0
Combo Box Test - and saved it on the class TestRunner.
2) Ctrl-T - drop down problem persisted.
3) Changed the size of the Container View to see if that constrained it.
Save, Ctrl-T, same problem
4) Changed the attribute droppedHeight on the ComboBox (scriptModel) to from
200 to 400, Save, Ctrl-T.  Combo dropped down properly!
5) Changed the attribute droppedHeight on the ComboBox (scriptModel) back
from 400 to 200, Save, Ctrl-T.  Combo dropped down properly again!

Also, the Combo Box on the bottom was now working also!  I never changed the
droppedHeight on that one.

Somehow, resaving the resource corrected the problem, at least in the case
of TestRunner.

One other potential clue, in case this doesn't reproduce, is that I'm
running on a machine with the DPI of the screen set up from 96.

jlo

Quote:
> On my Windows XP box, all the latest updates, Combo Boxes sometimes fail
> drop.  This occurs in the TestRunner, as well as some of the RB prompts -
> haven't recorded each instance but I will if it helps.

> In the TestRunner example, I can hit down arrow to move through a list of
> failed tests, but if I click the arrow to drop the box, it "opens"
downward
> only a few pixels and I see nothing.  I attached a picture - you can see
on
> the top combo box what I mean.  The same thing happens on the bottom combo
> box too.

> Is this an XP thing, or something everyone is seeing?

> jlo

Sat, 07 May 2005 21:14:34 GMT
 Drop Down Combo Box Issue?

Quote:
> A further clue - I went in to View Composer, and:

> 1) Used Save As... to mat another copy of the resource - SUnit Runner 3.0
> Combo Box Test - and saved it on the class TestRunner.
> 2) Ctrl-T - drop down problem persisted.
> 3) Changed the size of the Container View to see if that constrained it.
> Save, Ctrl-T, same problem
> 4) Changed the attribute droppedHeight on the ComboBox (scriptModel) to
from
> 200 to 400, Save, Ctrl-T.  Combo dropped down properly!
> 5) Changed the attribute droppedHeight on the ComboBox (scriptModel) back
> from 400 to 200, Save, Ctrl-T.  Combo dropped down properly again!

> Also, the Combo Box on the bottom was now working also!  I never changed
the
> droppedHeight on that one.

> Somehow, resaving the resource corrected the problem, at least in the case
> of TestRunner.

> One other potential clue, in case this doesn't reproduce, is that I'm
> running on a machine with the DPI of the screen set up from 96.

Ah, well there is a known issue of the combo-box drop-down failing to drop
down when using large fonts. We don't yet know the cause. Its a bit of an
old timer, number 68 in fact, and I'm ashamed to admit we haven't exactly
been busting a gut to find out why it is failing.

Regards

Blair

------------------------

Tue, 10 May 2005 06:32:02 GMT
 Drop Down Combo Box Issue?
Anything I might do to help get to the bottom of it?  I really like using
higher DPIs - easy on my eyes.

If you point me in the right direction, I'd invest a little time to see if I
can get to the bottom of it -

jlo

Quote:

> > A further clue - I went in to View Composer, and:

> > 1) Used Save As... to mat another copy of the resource - SUnit Runner
3.0
> > Combo Box Test - and saved it on the class TestRunner.
> > 2) Ctrl-T - drop down problem persisted.
> > 3) Changed the size of the Container View to see if that constrained it.
> > Save, Ctrl-T, same problem
> > 4) Changed the attribute droppedHeight on the ComboBox (scriptModel) to
> from
> > 200 to 400, Save, Ctrl-T.  Combo dropped down properly!
> > 5) Changed the attribute droppedHeight on the ComboBox (scriptModel)
back
> > from 400 to 200, Save, Ctrl-T.  Combo dropped down properly again!

> > Also, the Combo Box on the bottom was now working also!  I never changed
> the
> > droppedHeight on that one.

> > Somehow, resaving the resource corrected the problem, at least in the
case
> > of TestRunner.

> > One other potential clue, in case this doesn't reproduce, is that I'm
> > running on a machine with the DPI of the screen set up from 96.

> Ah, well there is a known issue of the combo-box drop-down failing to drop
> down when using large fonts. We don't yet know the cause. Its a bit of an
> old timer, number 68 in fact, and I'm ashamed to admit we haven't exactly
> been busting a gut to find out why it is failing.

> Regards

> Blair

> ------------------------

Tue, 10 May 2005 07:04:12 GMT
 Drop Down Combo Box Issue?

Quote:
> Anything I might do to help get to the bottom of it?  I really like using
> higher DPIs - easy on my eyes.

> If you point me in the right direction, I'd invest a little time to see if
> can get to the bottom of it -

Thanks for the offer. We've located the problem, and I've attached a patch.
This fixes the oldest outstanding bug in our bug system, recorded on 15th
Feb 2001 but known about long before we had the bug system! The patch also
fixes another long standing (though not quite so venerable), bug #267
"Drop-down list in a proportional layout manager gets sized even when
dropped", reported by Bill Schwab in June 2001.

Regards

Blair

----------------------
!ComboBox methodsFor!

actualHeight
 "Private - Answer the actual height of the receiver when dropped down
 (not applicable to simple mode). This includes the fixed height edit field
 and the (configurable) maximum dropped height."

 ^self height + self droppedHeight!

rectangle: aRectangle
 "Set the boundary of the receiver to the <Rectangle> argument,
 which is in the coordinate system of the receiver's parent."

 "Implementation Note: Override because the height of a combo-box cannot be
 changed (unless in simple mode) - it is fixed as the height of the edit box
plus the
 droppedHeight."

 super rectangle: (self mode == #simple
    ifTrue: [aRectangle]
    ifFalse:
     [(aRectangle copy)
      height: self actualHeight;
      yourself])!

extent: aPoint
 "Set the dimensions of the receiver's outer window to the <Point>
 argument."

 "Implementation Note: Override because the height of a combo-box cannot be
 changed (unless in simple mode) - it is fixed as the height of the edit box
plus the
 droppedHeight."

 super

actualHeight])! !
!ComboBox categoriesFor: #actualHeight!accessing!geometry!private! !
!ComboBox categoriesFor: #rectangle:!geometry!public! !
!ComboBox categoriesFor: #extent:!geometry!public! !

Mon, 23 May 2005 21:05:17 GMT
 Drop Down Combo Box Issue?
Wow!  Is there an oldest bug report award (notice I did not say "oldest bug
*reporter*" award" ;>)?

I filed it in and it seems to fix the locations where I observed the
problem - thanks -

jlo

Quote:

> > Anything I might do to help get to the bottom of it?  I really like
using
> > higher DPIs - easy on my eyes.

> > If you point me in the right direction, I'd invest a little time to see
if
> > can get to the bottom of it -

> Thanks for the offer. We've located the problem, and I've attached a
patch.
> This fixes the oldest outstanding bug in our bug system, recorded on 15th
> Feb 2001 but known about long before we had the bug system! The patch also
> fixes another long standing (though not quite so venerable), bug #267
> "Drop-down list in a proportional layout manager gets sized even when
> dropped", reported by Bill Schwab in June 2001.

> Regards

> Blair

> ----------------------
> !ComboBox methodsFor!

> actualHeight
>  "Private - Answer the actual height of the receiver when dropped down
>  (not applicable to simple mode). This includes the fixed height edit
field
>  and the (configurable) maximum dropped height."

>  ^self height + self droppedHeight!

> rectangle: aRectangle
>  "Set the boundary of the receiver to the <Rectangle> argument,
>  which is in the coordinate system of the receiver's parent."

>  "Implementation Note: Override because the height of a combo-box cannot
be
>  changed (unless in simple mode) - it is fixed as the height of the edit
box
> plus the
>  droppedHeight."

>  super rectangle: (self mode == #simple
>     ifTrue: [aRectangle]
>     ifFalse:
>      [(aRectangle copy)
>       height: self actualHeight;
>       yourself])!

> extent: aPoint
>  "Set the dimensions of the receiver's outer window to the <Point>
>  argument."

>  "Implementation Note: Override because the height of a combo-box cannot
be
>  changed (unless in simple mode) - it is fixed as the height of the edit
box
> plus the
>  droppedHeight."

>  super

> actualHeight])! !
> !ComboBox categoriesFor: #actualHeight!accessing!geometry!private! !
> !ComboBox categoriesFor: #rectangle:!geometry!public! !
> !ComboBox categoriesFor: #extent:!geometry!public! !

Mon, 23 May 2005 22:28:05 GMT
 Drop Down Combo Box Issue?
Blair,

Quote:
> Thanks for the offer. We've located the problem, and I've attached a
patch.
> This fixes the oldest outstanding bug in our bug system, recorded on 15th
> Feb 2001 but known about long before we had the bug system! The patch also
> fixes another long standing (though not quite so venerable), bug #267
> "Drop-down list in a proportional layout manager gets sized even when
> dropped", reported by Bill Schwab in June 2001.

Preliminary evidence suggests that #267 is in fact squashed - Thanks!!

It was easy (enter ViewGenerator) to change back to drop downs and
ChoicePresenter vs. my hacked alternative.  The hard part is to know whether
I've removed "all" of the other hot fixes that I inserted trying to fix the
problem.  I removed the one tweak that was marked, but there could be more
that I'm not seeing or didn't mark properly.  Beyond that, it's also
possible that the bug was less obvious than I remember it, but IIRC, it
wasn't shy, so I would have seen it by now.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Tue, 24 May 2005 21:53:24 GMT

1. How to refresh filter in drop down combo box

2. Drop Down Combo boxes cause crashes

3. Drop Down Combo Box Removing Duplicate Entries

4. Inserting new value from file drop-down combo box

5. Drop Down Combo Box - Urgent

6. File Drop Down Combo Box

7. Drop down combo boxes in ver4

8. Help With Problem On Drop Down Combo Box

9. Drop Down Combo Box

10. Drop Down Combo Boxes

11. Drop Down Combo Boxes

12. power browse drop down combo box