Image to Image Communication?
Author Message
 Image to Image Communication?

Hi

I wonder what possibilities are available to have to VisualWork 2.5 images on the
same Unix machine talk to each other in a flexible way.
I am aware of the product HP Distributed Smalltalk and another product called
RemoteObjects. I could use the sockets.st File and build some communication
mechanism, but I would like to reuse any publicly available classes already
handling this kind of communication.
I would be glad to get some information concerning this matter.
Thanks for you help in this matter

------------------------------+----------------------------------

OE EDSZ/EZIU/EPPD BIH VC419   | Tel:   +41-1-236-39-80
Performance Management        | Place: Flurstrasse 65, Geb. VF
Decentral Systems             |        CH-8048 Zuerich

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Image to Image Communication?

Quote:

> Hi

> I wonder what possibilities are available to have to VisualWork 2.5 images on the
> same Unix machine talk to each other in a flexible way.
> I am aware of the product HP Distributed Smalltalk and another product called
> RemoteObjects. I could use the sockets.st File and build some communication
> mechanism, but I would like to reuse any publicly available classes already
> handling this kind of communication.
> I would be glad to get some information concerning this matter.
> Thanks for you help in this matter

Jonathen Pletzke's "Advanced Smalltalk" book includes a CDROM that has
source for WEB Server and Client that communicate via TCP/IP sockets.
You get a great book to boot as well.

--
Travis or Kerrin Griggs
Key Technology   (509) 529-2161

.

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Image to Image Communication?

Quote:
> I wonder what possibilities are available to have to VisualWork 2.5
images on the
> same Unix machine talk to each other in a flexible way.

The October 1994 edition of the Smalltalk Report had an article "Object
Transfer between Smalltalk VMs" with some code that showed how to do this.
It used BOSS as the marshalling scheme, but this could easily be changed to
whatever was required.

The CORBA implementations are much better to use, as the low level grunge
of sockets is hidden and a lot of other issues (marshalling, exceptions
etc) are addressed without the developer having to worry about the details.

Sherman

Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Image to Image Communication?

Quote:

>Subject: [VW] Image to Image Communication?
>Date: 5 Mar 1997 07:40:19 GMT
>Hi
>I wonder what possibilities are available to have to VisualWork 2.5 images on
>the
>same Unix machine talk to each other in a flexible way.
>I am aware of the product HP Distributed Smalltalk and another product called
>RemoteObjects. I could use the sockets.st File and build some communication
>mechanism, but I would like to reuse any publicly available classes already
>handling this kind of communication.
>I would be glad to get some information concerning this matter.
>Thanks for you help in this matter

>------------------------------+----------------------------------

>OE EDSZ/EZIU/EPPD BIH VC419   | Tel:   +41-1-236-39-80
>Performance Management        | Place: Flurstrasse 65, Geb. VF
>Decentral Systems             |        CH-8048 Zuerich

Try Orbix, it provides smart way to communicate with other objects.
You will find more information about Orbix at www.iona.com.
Hope it will helps

Regards
Hassnain
you.

Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

Andreas) writes:

> >Subject: [VW] Image to Image Communication?
> >Date: 5 Mar 1997 07:40:19 GMT

> Try Orbix, it provides smart way to communicate with other objects.
> You will find more information about Orbix at www.iona.com.
> Hope it will helps

Orbix Smalltalk is based on DNS's SmalltalkBroker, which Iona was reselling
last year.
Iona have been working on making SmalltalkBroker fit into the Orbix world,
for instance, allowing it to use
the OrbixTalk Event service.

Sherman

Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Image to Image Communication?

> I wonder what possibilities are available to have to VisualWork 2.5 images on the
> same Unix machine talk to each other in a flexible way.
> I am aware of the product HP Distributed Smalltalk and another product called
> RemoteObjects. I could use the sockets.st File and build some communication
> mechanism, but I would like to reuse any publicly available classes already
> handling this kind of communication.

is the UBS so desperately out of money that commercial solutions for
the inter-Smalltalk communication problem are not an option? :-)

Both PPD DST (nee HP DST) and RemoteObjects include not just the
basics of getting some information from A to B, but have more
advanced features such as transparent message passing.
I don't know much about DST, but RemoteObjects has transparent
remote debugging and exception handling as well.

I'm all in favor of publicly available classes if they solve the
problem well. If, however, you need a lot of work to get them
doing the right things in your environment, they might actually
be the less economical alternative...

Hans-Martin

(Disclaimer: I work for the company that makes RemoteObjects...)

Tue, 24 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VisualWorks 2.5.1: Image to Image Communication

2. import Image vs from PIL import Image vs import PIL.Image

3. Multiple Image Communication

4. Communication between Squeak images

5. Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM)

6. Communication Between Images in a Network

7. image file name changed on image save

8. Need help with LeadTools API and displaying image in image control

9. Moving Apps from image to image

10. Image Searcher: searching images without textual keywords.

11. New Imaging SDK - Image-XChange demo

12. How retrieve original Image size from Image control.