Newbie wants to write a small program...
Author Message
 Newbie wants to write a small program...

I've not written any Smalltalk, but I'm learning it in order to
understand the MVC paradigm better...

I want to write a first program that does the following and I'm not sure
what should go where...

It should have a window it displays in. In the lower right hand corner,
it should have a view that displays the word 'EXIT', if the user clicks
on that, the window should close (thus ending the program.) Also on the
window, I want a view that displays the text 'Hello World' which moves
left and right, bouncing off the edges of the window. Clicking anywhere
on the window, other than the 'EXIT' view should cause the 'Hello World'
text to jump to that position, and then continue to move back and forth,
bouncing off the edges of the Window...

I'm pretty sure that the Window's controller has to check for mouse
downs to know when to move the 'Hello World' text, but is the current
(x, y) of the text supposed to be kept in the model? The text is
supposed to change position at certain times, is it the controller that
tells the model with the time is up? How does it do that? I'm assuming
that the 'Hello World' text's controller would be a NoController since
it doesn't respond when clicked on or moused over, or should the 'Hello
World' controller keep track of mouse downs instead of the Window's
controller?

Thanks in Advance...

Tue, 01 Jun 2004 06:54:05 GMT

1. Reading and then Writing to a file - small newbie question - please

2. Small Programs written in SmallTalk or Eiffel

3. Small Programs written in SmallTalk or Eiffel

4. Help needed writing small program -- possible?

5. Small object-oriented programming system for Lisp wanted

6. Wanted: Cobol program to write calendar

7. Extremely Newbie wants to program and pleads to be pointed in the right direction

8. Help wanted on reading/writing disk and writing your own OS

9. Help wanted on reading/writing disk and writing your own OS

10. Was: Programming in the large vs programming in the small

11. large programs, small programs, and the single-language dogma

12. Newbie wants newbie friend