STV/286 and QEMM7 (Help!) 
Author Message
 STV/286 and QEMM7 (Help!)

Hi all,

I'm getting a message similar to "** System is in Protected mode **"
when I try to run STV/286 in a DeqView Window with QEMM on my system.

Is there any way to get STV/286 to load an run in protected mode?
Is this possible?

- David Sidlo -



Mon, 12 Feb 1996 03:53:17 GMT  
 STV/286 and QEMM7 (Help!)

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I'm getting a message similar to "** System is in Protected mode **"
> when I try to run STV/286 in a DeqView Window with QEMM on my system.

> Is there any way to get STV/286 to load an run in protected mode?
> Is this possible?

> - David Sidlo -


STV/286 sets up its own protected mode tables ( GDT and LDT ) and effectively
takes over the machine, and since it was written before QEMM and HIMEM and the
like ( which really became mature after the 386 ) it was not designed to play
well with other protected mode memory managers.  It does use the old style
int15 memory allocation scheme and it may be possible (via its command line
switches) to get it to co-exists with HIMEM -- I don't know about the A20
handling conflicts though.  Bottom line, no there isn't a way to get it to
run under a manager like QEMM. Sorry -- if you know more about HIMEM running
with it I'd appreciate any info as I'd like to do this. The A20 handling
conflicts scare me though....

Bill Ives
HP Network Test Division



Mon, 12 Feb 1996 23:57:58 GMT  
 STV/286 and QEMM7 (Help!)

Quote:

>STV/286 sets up its own protected mode tables ( GDT and LDT ) and effectively
>takes over the machine, and since it was written before QEMM and HIMEM and the
>like ( which really became mature after the 386 ) it was not designed to play
>well with other protected mode memory managers.  It does use the old style
>int15 memory allocation scheme and it may be possible (via its command line
>switches) to get it to co-exists with HIMEM -- I don't know about the A20
>handling conflicts though.  Bottom line, no there isn't a way to get it to
>run under a manager like QEMM. Sorry -- if you know more about HIMEM running
>with it I'd appreciate any info as I'd like to do this. The A20 handling
>conflicts scare me though....

There is no problem running himem.sys and stv/286 concurrently. By
using a mark and release utility you may even run Windows end then run
V/286 without rebooting the system in between. The problem is not
himem.sys, but comes when a program using extended memory by this
standard and  does not retore the original state (memory and
interrupts). I have written a small utility that checks for V/286
compliant memory and sets the ERRORLEVEL accordingly stopping v.exe to
"hang" the system, when calling it from a batch file.
But all that is no help for the original poster who wanted to run
V/286 in a desqview window (if I recall correctly).
WHO is going to recompile v.exe with a modern dos extender? Digitalk will
not.... (and others may not). This is a real pity!
- Thomas

--
Thomas Muhr - Public Health (A4) - Technical University of Berlin
ATLAS/ti - Computer Supported Text Interpretation



Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:59:10 GMT  
 STV/286 and QEMM7 (Help!)

Quote:

> There is no problem running himem.sys and stv/286 concurrently. By
> using a mark and release utility you may even run Windows end then run
> V/286 without rebooting the system in between. The problem is not
> himem.sys, but comes when a program using extended memory by this
> standard and  does not retore the original state (memory and
> interrupts). I have written a small utility that checks for V/286
> compliant memory and sets the ERRORLEVEL accordingly stopping v.exe to
> "hang" the system, when calling it from a batch file.
> But all that is no help for the original poster who wanted to run
> V/286 in a desqview window (if I recall correctly).
> WHO is going to recompile v.exe with a modern dos extender? Digitalk will
> not.... (and others may not). This is a real pity!
> - Thomas

> --
> Thomas Muhr - Public Health (A4) - Technical University of Berlin
> ATLAS/ti - Computer Supported Text Interpretation


Thanks Thomas,
  I agree, it is a pity -- we've been hobbled with the v/286 implementation
and can't justify the man years to port to windows ( i wish we could ) due
to the amount of code we have in st. Could I please get that utility you
mention via ftp or the like... thanks

Bill Ives
HP Network Test Division



Tue, 20 Feb 1996 03:48:23 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. A longshot, but I'll ask anyway (STV/286)

2. How to capture a screen in STV/286

3. Mutitasking on STV/286 ?

4. STV/286 - non-modal windows staying on top?

5. STV/286 error handling?

6. Experiences with porting from STV/286 to ST80/4.0

7. problems with STV/286 and hercules

8. .286-->.386+ coding help

9. HELP: Any trouble using 286+ code in P386 ???

10. SmallTalk V/286 Under Windows - Help!

11. Help - A simple Problem on ST V/286

12. Help: config mgmt for ST V/286.

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software