Opening read-only files in ST/V 286?
Author Message
 Opening read-only files in ST/V 286?

I have probably asked this question a dozen times before and I know it
is hard stuff:
How can I open read-only files in ST/V 286? Any attempt to do so will
result in an error. A trick I use does work on non write-protected
disks:
Check the attribute before accessing, change it to read-write, open
the file, change it to read-only again. But, step 2 does not work on
write-protected media.
Any better solution?
While experimenting I found a serious bug in V 286. Try to delete a
file from a write protected diskette, say A:. It will show an error message as
expected. But try to open a disk browser on another disk after this
event!
It will try to access the diskette again, claiming that it is
write-protected! Only the second try will open another disk browser as
expected. A high probability of general protection error is also
given.
- Thomas

--
Thomas Muhr - Public Health (A4) - Technical University of Berlin
ATLAS/ti - Computer Supported Text Interpretation

Thu, 01 Feb 1996 15:46:58 GMT
 Opening read-only files in ST/V 286?

Quote:
(Thomas Muhr) writes:
>How can I open read-only files in ST/V 286?

In ST/V Windows, one can do this:

    | aFileStream |
    aFileStream := File pathNameReadOnly: 'myfile.txt'

Hopefully this also applies to ST/V 286.

Chris
--

PO Box 655012  M/S 3635        TI MSG:  CLW
Dallas, TX 75265               Voice:   (214) 917-0332

Fri, 02 Feb 1996 23:47:48 GMT
 Opening read-only files in ST/V 286?

Quote:

>(Thomas Muhr) writes:
>>How can I open read-only files in ST/V 286?
>In ST/V Windows, one can do this:
>    | aFileStream |
>    aFileStream := File pathNameReadOnly: 'myfile.txt'
>Hopefully this also applies to ST/V 286.

You are not making jokes? I am working 4 years with V/286. If such a
routine would be included in File's message set, I should have
stumbled over it a few years ago. On the other hand, once in a while
one makes real discoveries......
Thanks anyway, I bet there is no easy solution and will mots probably
require a new virtual machine interpreter.

- Thomas
--
Thomas Muhr - Public Health (A4) - Technical University of Berlin
ATLAS/ti - Computer Supported Text Interpretation

Sat, 03 Feb 1996 05:38:05 GMT

1. File size limit in ST/V 286 ?

2. Testing path/file existence ST/V 286 (long)

3. Diff between st/V and st/V 286

4. ST vs Java vs ST vs ....

5. ST/V 286 primitive assist code available...

6. ST V/286 dpmi

7. ST/V 286: Printing to LPT2?

8. adding instance variables in ST/V 286 or DOS

9. A window problem in ST V/286

10. Help - A simple Problem on ST V/286

11. ST/V 286 primitives in C?

12. Which st for 286 with 8MB ?