A "Universal Virtual Machine"
Author Message
 A "Universal Virtual Machine"

Quote from article at
< http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;:

"IBM, in conjunction with Taligent, has begun a research effort
intended to create a single virtual machine capable of running
applications written in C++, Smalltalk, or Java, said John Slitz,
vice president of application development marketing for IBM's
Software Solutions Division, in Armonk, N.Y."

--
Alan L. Lovejoy         | Why Smalltalk?
Smalltalk Consultant    | Because I don't want to follow the crowd,

Tue, 21 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A "Universal Virtual Machine"

Quote:

>Quote from article at
><http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?97044.wuvm.htm>:

>"IBM, in conjunction with Taligent, has begun a research effort
>intended to create a single virtual machine capable of running
>applications written in C++, Smalltalk, or Java, said John Slitz,
>vice president of application development marketing for IBM's
>Software Solutions Division, in Armonk, N.Y."

>--
>Alan L. Lovejoy             | Why Smalltalk?
>Smalltalk Consultant    | Because I don't want to follow the crowd,

Hmm.   There's someone that might have a chip that supports this pretty well - International Meta Systems at www.imes.com.

Chuck Durrett
The WebBook Company
810.644.2725
Birmingham, Michigan, USA

"Thanks for listening."

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A "Universal Virtual Machine"

I would much rather read about a smalltalk-based operating system with
interface layers that make it look like Windows '95, NT, AmigaDOS,
OS/2, TRS-80, MacOS, Unix,...

If you preferred, you could just write to its native smalltalk.
Otherwise, you could run the software from any existing OS.
--
Isect
http://www.isect.com

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A "Universal Virtual Machine"

Alan,

I know you've been following Animorophic developments there. But have
you attended any of the IBM Visual Age conferences going on around the
nation? They took pains to point out they already have java and
smalltalk VMs, and hinted there would be a unification of the two this
summer.

-Alan Wostenberg
Antalys Baan

Wed, 22 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 A "Universal Virtual Machine"

Quote:

> Quote from article at
> <http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayStory.pl?97044.wuvm.htm>:

> "IBM, in conjunction with Taligent, has begun a research effort
> intended to create a single virtual machine capable of running
> applications written in C++, Smalltalk, or Java, said John Slitz,
> vice president of application development marketing for IBM's
> Software Solutions Division, in Armonk, N.Y."

> --
> Alan L. Lovejoy         | Why Smalltalk?
> Smalltalk Consultant    | Because I don't want to follow the crowd,

Oh, they dropped the final sentence: "It's code-named 386." ;-)

Hasko
| Hasko Heinecke, Georg Heeg - Object-Oriented Systems |

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. "universal" virtual machine???

2. Universal Virtual Machine

3. Universal Virtual Machine

4. Universal Virtual Machine

5. IBM Universal Virtual Machine progress?

6. Universal Virtual Machine

7. WANTED: Logo for "Universal Media"

8. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

9. ANN:Virtual Friends "club"

10. Proposal: "Virtual References"

11. Creating "virtual" module-namespace

12. whatever happened to "Lilith" machine