Beginner's woes
Author Message
 Beginner's woes

Hello experts!

Through my interest in alife (artificial life) I have been shanghaied
into a project that requires that I do some OOP.

We have chosen Smalltalk Express to get going.

Two questions:

1) Is that a sensible choice?

2) I must learn this language from scratch; I haven't programmed for
at least 20 years; the tutorials that are available STExpress seem
very unsystematic to me: they probably presuppose some previous
experience.

What book should I get in order to get going?

Thank you,                 tiha

Tue, 07 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner's woes

Quote:
> We have chosen Smalltalk Express to get going.
> 1) Is that a sensible choice?

You should look at Dolphin too: http://www.intuitive.co.uk
It is a product in development, but much more modern and thought through
then STE.
The class libraries of STE are plain bad, anyway.

Ceveats about Dolphin.
        The current beta expires every 2 months or so.
        The GUI builders isn't quite integrated with the objects yet.

Richard

Wed, 08 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner's woes

Tiha,

When I first encountered Smalltalk/V (Smalltalk Express, for what I know,
is exactly the same with WindowBuilder Pro/V included) 3 years ago I read
Wilf Lalonde's _Discovering Smalltalk_.  The book's examples are all based
on Smalltalk/V.  I found it a very effective introductory text, and used
it successfully last year to teach a group of colleagues the elements of
Smalltalk.

You ought to have some idea as well of what object-oriented programming is
all about.  Lalonde covers this too, though perhaps first reading a
light-weight book like Peter Coad's _Object Oriented Analysis_ would help.

Artificial life?  I thought that's what most programmers have.

David Jenkins
US Airways IS, Pittsburgh

Wed, 08 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginner's woes

Quote:

>Tiha,

>When I first encountered Smalltalk/V (Smalltalk Express, for what I know,
>is exactly the same with WindowBuilder Pro/V included) 3 years ago I read
>Wilf Lalonde's _Discovering Smalltalk_.  The book's examples are all based
>on Smalltalk/V.  I found it a very effective introductory text, and used
>it successfully last year to teach a group of colleagues the elements of
>Smalltalk.

I'll second that on Discovering Smalltalk.
It was a good way for me to start thinking in terms of Smalltalk,
but I wouldn't want to use it for a production system.

Quote:
>Artificial life?  I thought that's what most programmers have.

No, that would be Artificial Deadlines (or the Study of Chaotic Systems).

        John Greve

Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Beginner's Haskell Woes

2. 'vwait forever' woes (on Linux)

3. Beginner's 'enum' question

4. beginner: the 'out' instruction

5. New Jersey's Woes - An Apology, Corrected Example

6. New Jersey's Woes - An Example

7. TkTable Woes: Return to the Good 'Ole Days

8. Sorry it's beginner's question..

9. TK beginners question - how to 'beep'

10. Beginner's Language?

11. Beginner's J question #12 - locales

12. Beginner's J question