ST/V 286 ( or Win ) and Multi-Media ?
Author Message
 ST/V 286 ( or Win ) and Multi-Media ?

I am beginning work on an interactive multi-media airfoil design
program which is to be used by the students in our laboratory classes.
I would like to use ST/V 286 ( which I am familiar with ) or ST/V Win
for this project.  The environment must be able to exchange data with
a stand-alone numerical wind-tunnel program, either through data files
or (preferably) from within Smalltalk.  Also, on the multi-media side,
there will be an interactive tutorial within which we wish to incorporate
sound and animation for discussing and demonstrating various points of
airfoil design.

I am reasonably sure that I will at least be able to have Smalltalk handle
the interactive side of things, and if neccessary recquire the user to
shut down Smalltalk in order to run the numerical wind-tunnell.  However,
I do not have experience with multi-media equipment so I do not know
what problems to expect in making ST/V 286 work with a Soundblaster.

Our target ( and development ) platform will be a 486/DX machine with a
Soundblaster installed.  Depending on funding, we may also have a CD-ROM.

Any information you may have in getting ST/V to co-exist gracefully with
this sort of hardware would be deeply appreciated.  I've checked our
library about a previously mentioned reference to an article in JOOP
which covered hooking ST/V to DLL's, but unfortunately it appears that
someone here thinks they are the only OOP folks in town. Still, there is
Interlibrary Loan, I guess.

Thanks !

Les Tyrrell, Grad Student
304 Town Engineering Bldg.
Dept. Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics
Iowa State University, Ames IA 50010

Sun, 04 Feb 1996 06:08:53 GMT
 ST/V 286 ( or Win ) and Multi-Media ?

  > I am reasonably sure that I will at least be able to have Smalltalk handle
  > the interactive side of things, and if neccessary recquire the user to
  > shut down Smalltalk in order to run the numerical wind-tunnell.  However,
  > I do not have experience with multi-media equipment so I do not know
  > what problems to expect in making ST/V 286 work with a Soundblaster.

  > Our target ( and development ) platform will be a 486/DX machine with a
  > Soundblaster installed.  Depending on funding, we may also have a CD-ROM.

No great problem.  I'm working for a company developing an
interactive, multimedia recognition training product.  We are
currently using ST V/Win 1.1, and interfacing with SoundBlaster,
CDRom, LaserDisc players, Matrox/VideoLogic boards (video clips played
in an St window).  I, of course, can't go into details, but you just
have to load in the DLL (sndblst.dll (I think) from the soundblaster
distribution) via a subclass of DynamicLinkLibrary.  This class has
the appropriate instance method for the various functions which do the
corresponding api call.  Check subclasses of DynamicLinkLibrary for
examples.

I hope this helps.

--
Dave

348 Ranchview Ct. NW     | Comp. Sci. University of Calgary
Calgary, Alberta, Canada | "Why are we here?... Because we're here"
T3G 1A6                  |       - RUSH: Roll the Bones
--
Dave

348 Ranchview Ct. NW     | Comp. Sci. University of Calgary

Tue, 06 Feb 1996 22:58:17 GMT

1. Diff between st/V and st/V 286

2. The MswLogo 5.1 16-bit 286 only kit is corrupted on cher.media.mit.edu

3. ST vs Java vs ST vs ....

4. ST/V 286 primitive assist code available...

5. File size limit in ST/V 286 ?

6. ST V/286 dpmi

7. ST/V 286: Printing to LPT2?

8. adding instance variables in ST/V 286 or DOS

9. A window problem in ST V/286

10. Help - A simple Problem on ST V/286

11. ST/V 286 primitives in C?

12. Which st for 286 with 8MB ?