PL2 issues??
Author Message
 PL2 issues??

Hi Blair,

These could be absolutely nothing, but I'll mention them just in case:

(1) I've been noticing that CHB method panes have been growing horizontal
scroll bars; it seems to be new???  At worst, it seems harmless, and might
even be by design :)

(2) I started playing around with CreateService() etc., and had reason to
try #getLastError:.  I kept getting 6, and finally tried #setLastError: with
zero as argument, and still got 6.  I have no feel for whether this is new
to the patch.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:49:24 GMT
 PL2 issues??

Quote:
> Hi Blair,

> These could be absolutely nothing, but I'll mention them just in case:

> (1) I've been noticing that CHB method panes have been growing horizontal
> scroll bars; it seems to be new???  At worst, it seems harmless, and might
> even be by design :)

I haven't observed that. Are you perhaps using the browser(s) with word-wrap
disabled and at a fairly low resolution (or small window size)? The maximum
line length used by the formatter is probably longer than we used to use
(irregularly) when formatting methods by hand, in order to take advantage of
the higher resolution displays we have today.

Quote:

> (2) I started playing around with CreateService() etc., and had reason to
> try #getLastError:.  I kept getting 6, and finally tried #setLastError:
with
> zero as argument, and still got 6.  I have no feel for whether this is new
> to the patch.

The effect of SetLastError() is only transient. Every call to a Win32 API
may potentially modify its value, and consequently one needs to call it
immediately after the failing API call in order to get the correct error
code, e.g.:

    KernelLibrary default setLastError: 0; getLastError        ==> 0

Since Dolphin has to make Win32 API calls pretty continuously just to
service the message loop (and those APIs may internally call further Win32
functions), you shouldn't expect the results of SetLastError() to persist
from one evaluation to the next.

Regards

Blair

Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:13:31 GMT
 PL2 issues??
Blair,

Quote:
> > (1) I've been noticing that CHB method panes have been growing
horizontal
> > scroll bars; it seems to be new???  At worst, it seems harmless, and
might
> > even be by design :)

> I haven't observed that. Are you perhaps using the browser(s) with
word-wrap
> disabled and at a fairly low resolution (or small window size)? The
maximum
> line length used by the formatter is probably longer than we used to use
> (irregularly) when formatting methods by hand, in order to take advantage
of
> the higher resolution displays we have today.

This sounds like the code editing pane - I'm talking about the list view
(top right) of method names.

Quote:
>     KernelLibrary default setLastError: 0; getLastError        ==> 0

That wraps that one up :)  Thanks.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:47:34 GMT
 PL2 issues??

Quote:
> Blair,

> > > (1) I've been noticing that CHB method panes have been growing
> horizontal
> > > scroll bars; it seems to be new???  At worst, it seems harmless, and
> might
> > > even be by design :)

> > I haven't observed that. Are you perhaps using the browser(s) with
> word-wrap
> > disabled and at a fairly low resolution (or small window size)? The
> maximum
> > line length used by the formatter is probably longer than we used to use
> > (irregularly) when formatting methods by hand, in order to take
advantage
> of
> > the higher resolution displays we have today.

> This sounds like the code editing pane - I'm talking about the list view
> (top right) of method names.

I haven't observed that either, and it shouldn't be happening. Can you be
more specific, especially with regard to operating system details, version
of IE/common controls, etc?

Regards

Blair

Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:08:29 GMT
 PL2 issues??
Blair,

Quote:
> > This sounds like the code editing pane - I'm talking about the list view
> > (top right) of method names.

> I haven't observed that either, and it shouldn't be happening. Can you be
> more specific, especially with regard to operating system details, version
> of IE/common controls, etc?

I noticed it mostly on my win2k machine at home, so I'll gather that info
from it.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Tue, 26 Jul 2005 03:02:13 GMT

1. PL2 "Features"

2. Minor PL2 problem

3. Version info on the PL2 problem machine

4. CFP: The AI Pride Issue (IEEE intelligent systems special issue)

5. Smalltalk article in the current InformationWeek issue.

6. Squeak News Dec-Jan, Feb and future issues, and season's greetings

7. SqueakNews e-zine August issue is out

8. VisualWorks Call For Issues [GUI]

9. Some issues

10. Compatibility issues

11. Issues porting app from D4 to D5