Rules Based Systems
Author Message
 Rules Based Systems

A while back someone posted a message about preferring Smalltalk
because they wrote rules based systems, and found it best for that
task.  I now find myself contemplating the best way to design my
system, and I keep coming back to different parts being rules based.
Unfortunately, I don't have that old post, and I would like to have a
converstation about the best way to design and eventually code a rules
based system such taht my performance doesn't slow to a crawl.

Does anyone out there have any insights?

Clayton Neff
Software Project Leader
The Personal Marketing Company, Inc.
11843 West 83rd Terrace
Lenexa, KS  66214
(913)492-0322

Sun, 19 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Rules Based Systems

Quote:

> A while back someone posted a message about preferring Smalltalk
> because they wrote rules based systems, and found it best for that
> task.  I now find myself contemplating the best way to design my
> system, and I keep coming back to different parts being rules based.
> Unfortunately, I don't have that old post, and I would like to have a

Hello Clayton,

        I am using NeOpus and could give you all the info you need. You can
email me and then we'll talk.

        Everardo

Mon, 20 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Rules Based Systems

I used Xerox's HUMBLE to form the basis of an expert system for animal
movement simulation.  It worked very well.   Unfortunately Xerox no longer
sells HUMBLE, and do not intend to upgrade it for VisualWorks 3.0.   I
have tried running my old code with the new VisualWorks engine and have
had no problems thusfar, but I have not yet started a new project.  Let me
know if you find other Rule Based expert systems that work with current
versions of Smalltalk.  I am now contemplating moving all future projects
to the C language where there is greater support for doing expert system
projects.
Jacoby Carter.

Quote:

--
Jacoby Carter
Southern Science Center

Sat, 02 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Rules Based Systems

Have you looked at ILog's rules engine?  It's a C++ class library and
has now been moved to Java.  I've seen it used very successfully on one
project that had a very tough scheduling problem to solve.

Quote:

> I used Xerox's HUMBLE to form the basis of an expert system for animal
> movement simulation.  It worked very well.   Unfortunately Xerox no longer
> sells HUMBLE, and do not intend to upgrade it for VisualWorks 3.0.   I
> have tried running my old code with the new VisualWorks engine and have
> had no problems thusfar, but I have not yet started a new project.  Let me
> know if you find other Rule Based expert systems that work with current
> versions of Smalltalk.  I am now contemplating moving all future projects
> to the C language where there is greater support for doing expert system
> projects.
> Jacoby Carter.

> > > A while back someone posted a message about preferring Smalltalk
> > > because they wrote rules based systems, and found it best for that
> > > task.  I now find myself contemplating the best way to design my
> > > system, and I keep coming back to different parts being rules based.
> > > Unfortunately, I don't have that old post, and I would like to have a
> > > converstation about the best way to design and eventually code a rules
> > > based system such taht my performance doesn't slow to a crawl.

> > > Does anyone out there have any insights?

> > > Clayton Neff
> > > Software Project Leader
> > > The Personal Marketing Company, Inc.
> > > 11843 West 83rd Terrace
> > > Lenexa, KS  66214
> > > (913)492-0322

> --
> Jacoby Carter
> Southern Science Center
> Lafayette, Louisiana, USA
> 70506
> phone: 318-266-8620/fax: 318-266-8586

Sun, 03 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Rules Based Systems

Hello Jacoby,

        I am using NeOpus, a forward-chaining rule base system written in
smalltalk(vw). I have been using for about a year and it is quite
good.

        If you need more info, check:

http://www-laforia.ibp.fr/~fdp/NeOpus.html

        Everardo

Sun, 03 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Rules Based Systems

Everardo -

I just wanted to say thanks for the email.  I haven't had a chance to
look over all the information you sent me yet, but I certainly will.
Thanks again.

-- Clayton --

Sun, 03 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Web tools for rules-based systems?

2. rule based systems

3. Forward chaining rule-based system

4. LOOKING for AI/Rule based system in TCL...

5. C++ Classes to implement rule-based system

6. OPS5 or other rule based system in CL?

7. rule-based system on CLOS

8. ]VW] fuzzy/rule-based system anywhere?

9. Rule-based systems

10. Rule-based system shellin ParcPlace Smalltalk

11. OO Rule-based system?

12. estimating performance of rule based / knowledge based system