DOES A WINDOW EXIST?
Author Message
 DOES A WINDOW EXIST?

/I need a guarenteed way to know whether a window does not exist (closed, not
/visible, etc.) I've come across many ways to test for this but all of them
/crash at one point or another, they are far from flawless. Can anybody help?
We keep the windows for eachtransaction in a dictionary with each window
's class name as the key and thus we can always test to see if it exists
 in the dictionary. If not, when it's needed, we add it and open it.
 This is the best way we've found to manage our app's windows.//Jade LIn

hitecture for other projects.

Sat, 02 Mar 1996 18:07:10 GMT
 DOES A WINDOW EXIST?

Quote:
>/I need a guarenteed way to know whether a window does not exist (closed, not
>/visible, etc.) I've come across many ways to test for this but all of them
>/crash at one point or another, they are far from flawless. Can anybody help?
>We keep the windows for eachtransaction in a dictionary with each window
>'s class name as the key and thus we can always test to see if it exists
> in the dictionary. If not, when it's needed, we add it and open it.
> This is the best way we've found to manage our app's windows.//Jade LIn

>hitecture for other projects.

Could you give a little more detail on this question?
What machine are you on, what operating system, which Smalltalk?
---

Any opinions, express or implied are strictly the output of a deranged mind
and do not reflect the position of my employers.

Sun, 03 Mar 1996 07:17:49 GMT
 DOES A WINDOW EXIST?
Well I posted the original article and asked the question, so I'm assuming you
are asking me for more information.

Well I'm running Smalltalk/V on a Mac.

I've gotten one responce to my question, it was that I should keep track of all
windows that I open while in my application. Well, I've done that already in
one of my applications and it worked well. What I really need for my current
problem is to tell if the window System Transcript is visible, ie. when
starting up is is not visible yet, or when you scheduler reinitialize the
window disappears. I need a way to test if the window is open (visible) or to
put it in smalltalk terms "active".

Thanks in advance,
        Russ

Design/CS Project
UMass Dartmouth

Sun, 03 Mar 1996 21:12:35 GMT
 DOES A WINDOW EXIST?
Quote:

>>/I need a guarenteed way to know whether a window does not exist (closed, not
>>/visible, etc.) I've come across many ways to test for this but all of them
>>/crash at one point or another, they are far from flawless. Can anybody help?
>>We keep the windows for eachtransaction in a dictionary with each window
>>'s class name as the key and thus we can always test to see if it exists
>> in the dictionary. If not, when it's needed, we add it and open it.
>> This is the best way we've found to manage our app's windows.//Jade LIn

>>hitecture for other projects.

> Could you give a little more detail on this question?
> What machine are you on, what operating system, which Smalltalk?
> ---

> Any opinions, express or implied are strictly the output of a deranged mind
> and do not reflect the position of my employers.

Also, are you testing for a specific window, or do you want to know if _any_
windows are open (ie a blank screen).
--
***********************************
* Alun ap Rhisiart                *    | When I wrote this, only God |

***********************************

Mon, 04 Mar 1996 01:48:36 GMT
 DOES A WINDOW EXIST?

writes:

Quote:
>/I need a guarenteed way to know whether a window does not exist (closed, not
>/visible, etc.) I've come across many ways to test for this but all of them
>/crash at one point or another, they are far from flawless. Can anybody help?
>We keep the windows for eachtransaction in a dictionary with each window
>'s class name as the key and thus we can always test to see if it exists
> in the dictionary. If not, when it's needed, we add it and open it.
> This is the best way we've found to manage our app's windows.//Jade LIn

>hitecture for other projects.

Could you give a little more detail on this question?
What machine are you on, what operating system, which Smalltalk?
---

Any opinions, express or implied are strictly the output of a deranged mind
and do not reflect the position of my employers.

THIS IS A REPLY TO THE ABOVE MESSAGE
SUBJECT OF THE REPLY: REPLY TO WINDOWS CONTROL
          We're using Smalltalk V for OS\2 and the classic MVC architecture
          plus  add  ons  for dealing with  a  session and handling a  user
          session's transactions. I have a 'long paper' (about 6 pages that
          will  go  with  our  poster  session  at  OOPSLA)  that  shows  a
          simplified view  of  our application's architecture by displaying
          the code for just one example transaction if you'd like me to fax
          you a copy of it? Jade Lindquist

Mon, 04 Mar 1996 15:16:07 GMT
 DOES A WINDOW EXIST?
I really just want to test to see if the System Transcript window is active/
displayed/open ie. at the point when the system is starting up and when you
have initaited a scheduler reinitialize.

- Russ

Tue, 05 Mar 1996 00:52:18 GMT

1. Stop main window from closing app when child windows exist

2. Doing assembly and really doing assembly

3. Doing assembly and really doing assembly

4. Adding a number to an existing file without affecting existing data

5. Done my first window...

6. J and K doing GUI / Ferrari and Porsche displayed through windows

7. Has anyone done any Windows CE programming?

8. nmake for windows doesn't have DONE or FAILED

9. Anyone doing Windows 95 / NT development in Ada?

10. MicroFocus running on Windows NT - Anyone doing this?

11. Doing it with Python, Windows SEND-TO and *.cpl-files

12. ANNC: Tcl/Tk 8.4.1 done for threads for windows (binaries)