rule-based tool in Smalltalk
Author Message
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

Humble by Xerox Special Information Systems, 818 351-4413, is a
Smalltalk-based expert system development tool, including an
inference engine, knowledge-base editor, rule browser, and more.

It costs around $800.00 and works with VisualWorks by ParcPlace.

Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Illinois  Phone:  (217) 333-5821
1304 W. Springfield Ave., 2320 dcl, MC 258, Urbana, IL  61801-2987  USA

Sat, 23 Aug 1997 01:51:45 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

Quote:

> Does anyone know of a rule-based tool/package which integrates with
> PP Visual Works ?

> Thanks in advance,

> Roy

> --------------------------
> Roy Lauer
> Applied Materials (Israel)

> --------------------------

Well, I wrote it on Digitalk Smalltalk but the non window classes
should all be portable and the engine need no window to work.

I wrote an Expert System Shell completely in Smalltalk that support backward chaining
and forward chaining too.

It is a tool you can integrate in your Smalltalk projects.

It also offer a set of extra features like:
Explanation of any rasoning or of any produced fact.
Traceability of both inference engines.
Sure factor associated to any fact.
Ability to include in the data (facts) any Smalltalk object.
No need of functors
..

If you are interested you can address me at:
Nik, Zordan Nicola
via Tegnan 11
I-36078 Valdagno (VI) Italy
Tel: +39 445 402484

(Please contact me on CompuServe, I can better manage it)

I am delivering this project trough Doug Shaker at the Smalltalk store.

Bye, Nik.

Sat, 23 Aug 1997 01:05:07 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk
Does anyone know of a rule-based tool/package which integrates with
PP Visual Works ?

Thanks in advance,

Roy

--------------------------
Roy Lauer
Applied Materials (Israel)

--------------------------

Fri, 22 Aug 1997 02:21:27 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

Quote:
>Does anyone know of a rule-based tool/package which
integrates with
>PP Visual Works ?

>Thanks in advance,

>Roy

>--------------------------
>Roy Lauer
>Applied Materials (Israel)

>--------------------------

About three months ago, I ported Humble to VW 2.0. It has a
much improved user interface. If you call (818) 351-2351 and
ask for Craig Smith (sales weenie), he can send you

include your phone or fax number. Craig will get in contact
with you.

  Len Gaska           "Drag me, drop me, treat me like an object"

  http://www.primenet.com/~gaska/index.html

Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:09:29 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk
I have a full featured rule based tool completely written in
Smalltalk/V.
Only the window interface is V/Dependent I think.
It allow backward and forwaed rasoning with explanation and
trace, ...
Any Smalltalk object can be inserted on rules and facts and can
work as rasoning server for standard ST application.

Bye, Nik

--
Nik, Zordan Nicola A. G.                    ---/\    /

via Tegnan 11, I-36078Valdagno (VI) Italy    /--- \/ ik
Tel: +39 445 402484

Fri, 19 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

Quote:

>Does anyone know of a rule-based tool/package which integrates with
>PP Visual Works ?

I've been working on a rule-based system (similiar to OPS-5) for
VisualWorks in my "spare" time. I had worked with several AI systems
in Lisp before upgrading to Smalltalk 5 years ago, (and I would rather
fight than switch!) I'm considering offerint it as a product, but I
don't have any idea what the market is. Tell me, would anyone be interested
in a well-designed expert system shell in VisualWorks? (How about
a neural network system?) What should I charge for it? The current
products in this area are all C based (and not state-of-the-art, in
any case.) I think most users don't expect decent performance for
these technologies in Smalltalk, but it may be that they're just
different communities and don't grok the benifits of the technologies.
What do you think?

Mon, 06 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

:
[...]

***********************
****   Steven Ng   ****
****   Singapore   ****
***********************

Fri, 10 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

Quote:

>Does anyone know of a rule-based tool/package which integrates with
>PP Visual Works ?

I ran across one called NeOpus that was developed at the Universite
Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris.  See
http://www-laforia.ibp.fr:80/~fdp/NeOpus.html for more information.  The
source is available at ftp://ftp.ibp.fr/ibp/softs/laforia/NeOpus
(anonymous login).

I don't really know much about it besides that -- out of curiosity I downloaded
some of the papers, but I haven't had time to read them yet :-)

--
Bill Foote                | Adde parvum parvo magnus acervus ecrit.

Alameda, CA USA           |    -- Ovid, via Frederick P. Brooks, Jr.

Sun, 12 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

: I, for one, believe that rule-based programming has its place

I agree, and had done a fair bit of it a few years ago when AI was "hot".

I have been thinking a bit about the relationship of rules and queries
to objects lately.

My main concern is that queries in OODBs and rules in expert systems
integrated with OOPLs are typically depending on the *structure* of
objects rather than the *behavior* of objects.

Is that perception correct?

Is that considered a problem? I do. The interesting thing about object-
oriented designs is the use of abstract behavior without regard for
implementation structure.

Shouldn't the rules and queries we write subscribe to the contract
implied by the abstractions?

Tue, 14 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

Quote:

> I have been thinking a bit about the relationship of rules and queries
> to objects lately.
> My main concern is that queries in OODBs and rules in expert systems
> integrated with OOPLs are typically depending on the *structure* of
> objects rather than the *behavior* of objects.
> Is that perception correct?

Not entirely. Queries in GemStone can be structural, behavioral,
associative (using indexes), or a combination of the three. It is a choice
of the query formulator.

    Marc San Soucie
    Servio Corporation
    Beaverton, Oregon

Tue, 14 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk
I, for one, believe that rule-based programming has its place in the collection
of techniques we use as modern software engineers, and have used several
"expert system shells" in Smalltalk in the past. I'd be interested in hearing
more about yours (or in your posting the code to the net archives).

___Stephen Travis Pope, Smalltalk Consultant--The Nomad Group
___Editor--Computer Music Journal; Research Associate--CNMAT/UCB

___WWW: http://www.cnmat.berkeley.edu/~stp/

Tue, 14 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

 > :
 > : >Does anyone know of a rule-based tool/package which integrates with
 > : >PP Visual Works ?
 > :
 > :
 > : I've been working on a rule-based system (similiar to OPS-5) for
 > : VisualWorks in my "spare" time. I had worked with several AI systems
 > : in Lisp before upgrading to Smalltalk 5 years ago, (and I would rather
 > : fight than switch!) I'm considering offerint it as a product, but I
 > : don't have any idea what the market is. Tell me, would anyone be interested
 > : in a well-designed expert system shell in VisualWorks? (How about
 > : a neural network system?) What should I charge for it? The current
 > : products in this area are all C based (and not state-of-the-art, in
 > : any case.) I think most users don't expect decent performance for
 > : these technologies in Smalltalk, but it may be that they're just
 > : different communities and don't grok the benifits of the technologies.
 > : What do you think?
 > :
 > :
 >
 > --

 > ***********************
 > ****   Steven Ng   ****
 > ****   Singapore   ****
 > ***********************

Ni How Ma,

1) Nice to meat a colleague from Singapore working with
VisualWorks. What do you do with it?

2) I happen to be well acquainted with a Singaporian software
engineer. Her name is Ng Peck Leng and she used to work for DCL co. I
realize that your family name is quite popular but still the computer
industry is usually small....so wonder if you know of her?

Tsi Tsien,

-- Shay

------------------------------------
Shay Bushinsky

Applied Materials (Israel)
Atidim Industrial Park, Building 2
P.O.Box 58152, Tel Aviv 61581,Israel

Phone:  +972-3-6450277
Fax:    +972-3-6450280
------------------------------------

Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 rule-based tool in Smalltalk

Quote:

>>Does anyone know of a rule-based tool/package which integrates with
>>PP Visual Works ?

>Tell me, would anyone be interested
>in a well-designed expert system shell in VisualWorks?

I am currently looking a rule based system to work with Digitalk Smalltalk.
I think the education sector would go for such a system in quite a
large way because of the upswing in use of Smalltalk and the lack of modern AI tools

Phil McLaughlin
Senior Lecturer
School of Computing
Staffordshire University
Stoke-On-Trent
England

Sun, 19 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. ASIS based the Ada rule checking tool gch for GNAT is available

2. Web tools for rules-based systems?

3. CFP: RULE'02 - PLI-Workshop on Rule-Based Programming

4. CFP: RULE 2001 (2nd Int'l Workshop on Rule-based Programming)

5. CFP: RULE'02 - PLI-Workshop on Rule-Based Programming

6. CFP: RULE 2001 (2nd Int'l Workshop on Rule-based Programming)

7. Rule Based/Expert Systems in Smalltalk

8. Rules Based Engines in Smalltalk

9. Rules Based Engines in Smalltalk

10. Rule-based system shellin ParcPlace Smalltalk

11. estimating performance of rule based / knowledge based system

12. Wanted To Buy: Smalltalk Based Products or Tools