Whither rather than wither (was: Whither Smalltalk?
Author Message
 Whither rather than wither (was: Whither Smalltalk?

Quote:

>To extend that thread, I'd like to ask us all a
>question...  What features about Smalltalk, especially
>ParcPlace Smalltalk would you
>change/add? It might help to whither rather than
>wither...

>Here's a starter:

>1. Event-loop driven system
>2. Ability to send a message, and convert to
>performance-optimized,
>   compiled, executable
>3. Mach-style multi-threading in the image  4.
>bar-raising documentation
>5. Table-views whose cells you can edit  yours go
>here>>

What about a really nice packaging facility for making runtime
enviroments quickly and easily (A {*filter*} times 10)?  On
second thought, maybe that is a feature that OTI needs to add
to Envy for ParcPlace Smalltalk.

-Jeff
Jeff Cantwell, VP, R&D
Private Business, Inc.

Ph.  (615) 221-8230
Fax (615) 373-0996

Tue, 04 Mar 1997 23:50:39 GMT

Cantwell) writes:

> >To extend that thread, I'd like to ask us all a
> >question...  What features about Smalltalk, especially
> >ParcPlace Smalltalk would you
> >change/add? It might help to whither rather than
> >wither...

> >Here's a starter:

> >1. Event-loop driven system
> >2. Ability to send a message, and convert to
> >performance-optimized,
> >   compiled, executable
> >3. Mach-style multi-threading in the image  4.
> >bar-raising documentation
> >5. Table-views whose cells you can edit  yours go
> >here>>

> What about a really nice packaging facility for making runtime
> enviroments quickly and easily (A {*filter*} times 10)?  On
> second thought, maybe that is a feature that OTI needs to add
> to Envy for ParcPlace Smalltalk.

I've talked directly with them (OTI/Envy) about this.
They said that at this time, they have no intention of
doing this.
--
personal opinions

Fri, 07 Mar 1997 22:38:14 GMT

1. Whither APL or wither APL ??

2. Whither APL or wither APL ??

3. Smalltalk in the database (was: Whither Smalltalk?

4. Whither Smalltalk?

5. Whither smalltalk?

6. Whither stdwin for Mac (for Little Smalltalk)?

7. Whither APL users?

8. Whither APL News?

9. Whither Quote-Quad (and SIGAPL)

10. Toronto APL SIG Meeting - March 24 - Whither Windows?

11. whither style

12. Whither Software Publishers?