Squeak & Pocket Smalltalk
Author Message
 Squeak & Pocket Smalltalk

I used Smalltalk in the mid-80s to develop a commercial product. At that
time, we used Digitalk and ParcPlace VisualWorks. After being away from the
language for many years, I want to dabble again.
I've done a quick look around the Web and found Pocket Smalltalk
fo the Pilot and Squeak.

Anyone have any opinions about the usefulness of these two
packages?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak & Pocket Smalltalk
Squeak is a full implementation of ST-80 with some very interesting and
promising functionality -- there is a vm port already available for Windows
CE, as well as Linux , NT , Acorn and a few more . Pocket Smalltalk from my
understanding is specific to the Palm Pilot and though interesting in its
own right it still needs work , for one debugging is still somewhat
difficult.

Charles
OCIT

Quote:

>I used Smalltalk in the mid-80s to develop a commercial product. At that
>time, we used Digitalk and ParcPlace VisualWorks. After being away from the
>language for many years, I want to dabble again.
>I've done a quick look around the Web and found Pocket Smalltalk
>fo the Pilot and Squeak.

>Anyone have any opinions about the usefulness of these two
>packages?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak & Pocket Smalltalk
I downloaded Squeak for Windows CE, loaded it on my palmtop and was
impressed that it worked as well it did...

Unfortunately, it uses a totally non-CE look-and-feel so I haven't done
anything with it.  Someone at the European Smalltalk User Group told me that
a group in Brazil (?) had a native look-and-feel implementation but I
haven't been able to find it.  Any ideas?

BTW: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Regards,

andy berry

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak & Pocket Smalltalk

Quote:

> Someone at the European Smalltalk User Group told me that
> a group in Brazil (?) had a native look-and-feel implementation but I
> haven't been able to find it.  Any ideas?

Check out SUGAR - Smalltalk User Group of Argentina at:
http://sugarweb.com/index.html

They also have an English version at:
http://sugarweb.com/indexe.html

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Dolphin Smalltalk & Pocket Smalltalk Forums

2. Squeak FTP site established: ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak

3. APL&J on Handy or pocket PCs

4. Smalltalk on a pocket PC

5. Is Pocket Smalltalk dead?

6. IRC channel for pocket smalltalk?

7. Pocket Smalltalk

8. Pocket Smalltalk List Server

9. Pocket Smalltalk Development Project Growing

10. Pocket Smalltalk in RTP?

11. NC RTP 5/24 - INTRO. TO POCKET SMALLTALK

12. Color & Pocket Forth