VisualWave WOW! *(Followup to ParcPlace announcement thread)
Author Message
 VisualWave WOW! *(Followup to ParcPlace announcement thread)

Quote:
>> Pricing starts at US$4,995 for the development environment and US$9,995 for the server.
> IMHO, at the time when Java is being given away free, VisualWave may have a up hill battle ahead
>with this type of the marketing strategy.  I hope there is no per browser/per connection/per server
>runtime fees.

>Regards,
>Jerzy

(Sorry about my 1st message with nothing in it...)

I saw it myself and am impressed too.  On pricing, there are NO browser and runtime fees!
The reason the server is so expensive is because it is designed for tens of thousands
of concurrent users, you need to think of it like a Sybase server.
Also the $4995 price applies to those who do not have VisualWorks.  The add-on
price to an existing VW 2.5 customer is $1,999.   Sure, I would like it even cheaper too,
but nothing is even close to it.  In fact, Java is just another protocol/look policy to
it.

Joe Hughes
BAC
Atlanta, GA

Sat, 23 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VisualWave WOW! *(Followup to ParcPlace announcement thread)

Quote:

> On pricing, there are NO browser and runtime fees!

Yes, I knew that, my comment was just a cynical plug out of the frustration.

Quote:
> Sure, I would like it even cheaper too, but nothing is even close to it.

        In my prior posting I tried to express the frustration felt by a few of us, local
Smalltalkers, after reading the announcement.  We also felt that there is nothing out there of the
similarly great functionality, however in the current Day and Age it will not be long before the
competition will recognize the potential.  Here, we thought, is a great opportunity not only to
capture some of the Web market, but also to further expose the application development community to
Smalltalk.  I think there are lessons to be learnt from the past successes (i.e. Borland's $99
pricing policies and Netscape's beta give always).  They all captured a significant market share,
but their main advantage was just it, nothing else came close at the time.  Free software give
always don't work very well if there is an already established standard (i.e. MS Money, etc...).
The developers are even harder to convert because the subjective language preferences play a
significant role in their tool's choices.
        I don't think that following the trend ($99->free->..) PPD should pay customers to use
their product, but IMHO they should make it way more attractive if they want them to try it.  The
last thing I would want to see is this great opportunity wasted because of the slow market
acceptance (I wish I am wrong on this one).

Regards,
Jerzy

Sat, 23 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VisualWave WOW! *(Followup to ParcPlace announcement thread)
I think everyone is being a bit unfair to PPD for their VisualWave pricing
strategy. I mean, they have a superior product, right? So why shouldn't
they get more for it?

For example, the Apple Macintosh of 1987 was way ahead of even the Windows
of today, so they were able to charge a premium for it, and the market
reacted by adopting the Mac as the standard for computing, er, ah, perhaps
I should re-think this one a bit...

Personally, I'm disgusted, but I've got a sinking feeling that we have not
seen the depths of PPD idiocy yet -- let's see who they{*filter*}and how much
when the "unified" VW/VST comes out. Perhaps it will simply have a label
on the package: "you really should be using Java instead!"

Jan

2002 Parkside Ct., West Linn, OR 97068, USA +1 503 657 7703

Mon, 25 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VisualWave WOW! *(Followup to ParcPlace announcement thread)
Quote:
>  Personally, I'm disgusted, but I've got a sinking feeling that we have not
>  seen the depths of PPD idiocy yet -- let's see who they{*filter*}and how much
>  when the "unified" VW/VST comes out. Perhaps it will simply have a label
>  on the package: "you really should be using Java instead!"

Today there are too many choices for PPD to get high ($$$) and mighty.  No matter how good
Smalltalk is it will die if the price keeps the small developers out.  Let's face it, Microsoft is going
to give developers all kinds of reasons to use VC++ or VB and Borland is still reasonably cheap.
IBM and PPD might as well trash Smalltalk as keep the prices up.

Tue, 26 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 VisualWave WOW! *(Followup to ParcPlace announcement thread)
Now more clearly stated, I agree with your pricing fears.
Since the server does so much for you, I don't mind the server
price so much, but I do mind the development price.
I think that ParcPlace should price the server at $5,000 and give
the classes away to existing VW customers.  Instead of the
current $2000 price.
They should make the money on Smalltalk not its extensions.
I did hear somebody say that their boss prefered to redo
their app in HTML plus extensions, even though they would have
two copies of the source code and not be doing it the OO way.
Why, because its the HTML editors are free.

Sat, 30 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. ParcPlace-Digitalk Browser on the Web (VisualWave)

2. Has anybody tried out Parcplace VisualWave?

3. Followup to tkhylafax 3.0 announcement

4. Announcement: ParcPlace International Users Conference

5. ParcPlace-Digitalk "Monza" announcement

6. parcplace-digitalk --> parcplace-corpse

7. Announcement: release of Qu-Prolog 6.0 (multi-threaded)

8. ANNOUNCEMENT: Jinni - a new multi-threaded, Internet ready Java inference engine

9. Threads creating threads creating threads...

10. thread, threading, mutex modules and non-threading interpreters

11. WOW

12. smalltalk and Macintosh..Wow!