libs for stand alone programs
Author Message
 libs for stand alone programs

hello everyone!

well, finished a Smalltalk project and built a stand alone application.
(VSE 3.11)

well, it works pretty well, but there is something there which was
surprising in a way.

now, if i understood correctly, you have to include several .dll files
and .sll files. the files contain all the methods and objects you need
for the program to run.

now the thing is, that AFAIK, there is a library included which contains
about *all* graphical elements available in smalltalk, even those which
are not necessary for the application.

now my question is whether there is a way to create those libraries
dynamically, that they only contain the elements you need (like it is
with java programs)?

--
claus kick
sigless

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:14:52 GMT
 libs for stand alone programs
<snip>
: now the thing is, that AFAIK, there is a library included which contains
: about *all* graphical elements available in smalltalk, even those which
: are not necessary for the application.

: now my question is whether there is a way to create those libraries
: dynamically, that they only contain the elements you need (like it is
: with java programs)?

I need to know the answer to the very same question.  I'm sure my
application could be a third smaller if I could just build my own
libraries.

-Carl

 author of Liberty BASIC, twice a PC Magazine Awards Finalist!
 http://www.libertybasic.com

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 05:21:56 GMT
 libs for stand alone programs

Quote:

> <snip>
> : now the thing is, that AFAIK, there is a library included which contains
> : about *all* graphical elements available in smalltalk, even those which
> : are not necessary for the application.

> : now my question is whether there is a way to create those libraries
> : dynamically, that they only contain the elements you need (like it is
> : with java programs)?

> I need to know the answer to the very same question.  I'm sure my
> application could be a third smaller if I could just build my own
> libraries.

what version are you using?

my programming teacher told me that with the vse2000 version, you could
at least get
rid of the patches.

and you can get rid of certain libraries, if you do not need the
application to run
under win98 (or win95? not sure anymore), but i think this is nothing i
would want to
do, as i hate OS-dependencies...

--
claus kick

Sat, 21 Aug 2004 23:28:42 GMT

1. To stand-alone or not to stand-alone

2. LabVIEW 6.1 Stand alone data acquisition program

3. VISA necessary for stand-alone program?

4. Making stand-alone programs with Net Express to use on other PCs

5. Stand-alone COBOL programs?

6. running a stand-alone executable from within a python program

7. clisp: compile Lisp program to stand alone binary?

8. Stand Alone Programs

9. Q: Stand alone excutable program (.exe) without VM

10. Can any Smalltalk dialects produce stand-alone DLLs?

11. Newbie: Producing small stand-alone exes for Windows

12. ENVY in stand-alone mode