Backup of server in VA3.0 team
Author Message
 Backup of server in VA3.0 team

We have been using VA 3.0 for about a month in strictly
a research environment.  Now we are moving closer to the
development cycle and are faced with a few issues.  One
of the issues that we are faced with is backing up the
development server.  Does anyone have any suggestions on
what files we should be backing up and how to perform
the backups.  We have thought about backing up the manager
file on the server nightly.  To do this, we found out that
no one can be accessing the file (it is locked read and
write).  Are we going to need to make sure that all of the
developers have shut down their client side Smalltalk?
If so, this seems some-what restrictive.
Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated!
Thanks in advance.
Dustin Baxter
DST Systems Inc.
--
Dustin Baxter

Sun, 21 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Backup of server in VA3.0 team
Envy comes with a utility called emcopy.  It can be used to
create a copy of the manager file.  It aquires the locks it
needs to make the copy.  Clients don't have to get off, but
they will end up blocked for the time it takes to make the
copy.  The only thing you need to do is to backup the copy.
Although I wasn't the one to do it (so I'm not sure of all
the details), we had a relatively large manager file, and
the clients were only blocked for about 5 minutes while the
copy took place.

hope this helps.

Mon, 22 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Team Ada server change

2. Team Ada, Team OS/2, etc.

3. CFP: How Teams Shape Objects, How Objects Shape Teams - OOPLSA

4. Generic Server for Dolphin now has web server with ST servlets and ST server pages

5. VA3.0 - Populate the List from a Multi row Query results

6. Multi-line column label in tables (VA3.0)

7. Decimal Class in VA3.0

8. LookupTable in Va3.0

9. VA3.0a : Filing in Applications

10. VA3.0a: Displaying BMP files from a stream.

11. Questions about VA3.0

12. VA3.0b - NT-3.11 DLL choice problem