Is anyone keeping "The Analyst" alive?
Author Message
 Is anyone keeping "The Analyst" alive?

Xerox Special Information Systems (XSIS) released a product several years
ago called "The Analyst".  It was an all-in-one environment that they'd
created for the CIA.  It supported document preparation, spreadsheets,
maps, (small) databases, and several other tools, all running out of
the same Smalltalk image, and all susceptible to being linked one to
the other according to keywords.  A rule-based link generator and a
general-purpose expert system shell ("Humble") were optional extras.

As far as I can tell, XSIS doesn't exist any more, and The Analyst is
no longer a supported product of Xerox.

My question is: is anyone still using and/or supporting this system?
I've kept a copy, and now I have an application for which it would be
perfect, but our copy is dependent upon a VM from (then) ParcPlace which
runs only under SunOS.  I'm looking for someone who's kept it current
with ObjectShare's current VM.

Thanks for any info!
--
Mike O'Brien

There is no 'x' in my real email address.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Is anyone keeping "The Analyst" alive?

Quote:

> Xerox Special Information Systems (XSIS) released a product several years
> ago called "The Analyst".  It was an all-in-one environment that they'd
> created for the CIA.  It supported document preparation, spreadsheets,
> maps, (small) databases, and several other tools, all running out of
> the same Smalltalk image, and all susceptible to being linked one to
> the other according to keywords.  A rule-based link generator and a
> general-purpose expert system shell ("Humble") were optional extras.

> As far as I can tell, XSIS doesn't exist any more, and The Analyst is
> no longer a supported product of Xerox.

> My question is: is anyone still using and/or supporting this system?
> I've kept a copy, and now I have an application for which it would be
> perfect, but our copy is dependent upon a VM from (then) ParcPlace which
> runs only under SunOS.  I'm looking for someone who's kept it current
> with ObjectShare's current VM.

Woh.  A few months ago, several folks around here were looking for the
Analyst, but nothing was turned up.  If you actually *have* a copy, I"m
sure that lots of folks around here are willing to chip in some time to
"upgrade" it to a current VW VM.

Please post more!  There's at least a dozen people I know that would
like to revive it.

:-)

> Thanks for any info!
> --
> Mike O'Brien

> There is no 'x' in my real email address.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Is anyone keeping "The Analyst" alive?
I think I have a copy that we originally used on either Macintosh or perhaps
an HP 700 series workstation.  How would we go about getting permission from
Xerox to port it to VW3.0?  Lynn Hales
Quote:

> Xerox Special Information Systems (XSIS) released a product several years
> ago called "The Analyst".  It was an all-in-one environment that they'd
> created for the CIA.  It supported document preparation, spreadsheets,
> maps, (small) databases, and several other tools, all running out of
> the same Smalltalk image, and all susceptible to being linked one to
> the other according to keywords.  A rule-based link generator and a
> general-purpose expert system shell ("Humble") were optional extras.

> As far as I can tell, XSIS doesn't exist any more, and The Analyst is
> no longer a supported product of Xerox.

> My question is: is anyone still using and/or supporting this system?
> I've kept a copy, and now I have an application for which it would be
> perfect, but our copy is dependent upon a VM from (then) ParcPlace which
> runs only under SunOS.  I'm looking for someone who's kept it current
> with ObjectShare's current VM.

> Thanks for any info!
> --
> Mike O'Brien

> There is no 'x' in my real email address.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Is anyone keeping "The Analyst" alive?
All I know, is that I hope someone can:
1) find a full copy of the sources
2) convince Xerox to opensource it since they obviously aren't interested in
it anymore.

Wishfull thinking I suppose...

William

Quote:

> I think I have a copy that we originally used on either Macintosh or perhaps
> an HP 700 series workstation.  How would we go about getting permission from
> Xerox to port it to VW3.0?  Lynn Hales

>> Xerox Special Information Systems (XSIS) released a product several years
>> ago called "The Analyst".  It was an all-in-one environment that they'd
>> created for the CIA.  It supported document preparation, spreadsheets,
>> maps, (small) databases, and several other tools, all running out of
>> the same Smalltalk image, and all susceptible to being linked one to
>> the other according to keywords.  A rule-based link generator and a
>> general-purpose expert system shell ("Humble") were optional extras.

>> As far as I can tell, XSIS doesn't exist any more, and The Analyst is
>> no longer a supported product of Xerox.

>> My question is: is anyone still using and/or supporting this system?
>> I've kept a copy, and now I have an application for which it would be
>> perfect, but our copy is dependent upon a VM from (then) ParcPlace which
>> runs only under SunOS.  I'm looking for someone who's kept it current
>> with ObjectShare's current VM.

>> Thanks for any info!
>> --
>> Mike O'Brien

>> There is no 'x' in my real email address.

--
Live without fear; your Creator loves you     | William Barnett-Lewis

road and may God's blessing be with           |
you always.                                   |
St. Claire                                    |

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Is anyone keeping "The Analyst" alive?

Quote:

>All I know, is that I hope someone can:
>1) find a full copy of the sources
>2) convince Xerox to opensource it since they obviously aren't interested
in
>it anymore.

>Wishfull thinking I suppose...

It has been widely reported that this package was developed for the CIA.  I
suppose the question which needs to be answered is "Who holds the copyright
on this program?".  If Xerox retained copyright then there may be a slim
chance they can be persuaded to release it, although I have no idea who to
contact.  If it was a "work made for hire" and copyright is held by the CIA
I think the chances are zero that you'll ever get permission to play with
it.  Just my gut feel.
--
Bob Jarvis
Mail address hacked to foil spammers!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Is anyone keeping "The Analyst" alive?

Quote:

> >All I know, is that I hope someone can:
> >1) find a full copy of the sources
> >2) convince Xerox to opensource it since they obviously aren't interested
> in
> >it anymore.

> >Wishfull thinking I suppose...

Actually, there *is* a group of people researching just those points.
In fact, we've got 3 different sources for the Analyst, and one of them
is within a group that *does* have the power to decide to open source
the whole thing.

Sometimew wishfull thinking will see you through....

:-)
pete

Quote:
> It has been widely reported that this package was developed for the CIA.  I
> suppose the question which needs to be answered is "Who holds the copyright
> on this program?".  If Xerox retained copyright then there may be a slim
> chance they can be persuaded to release it, although I have no idea who to
> contact.  If it was a "work made for hire" and copyright is held by the CIA
> I think the chances are zero that you'll ever get permission to play with
> it.  Just my gut feel.
> --
> Bob Jarvis
> Mail address hacked to foil spammers!
> Remove "ob" from address to reply

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Is anyone keeping "The Analyst" alive?

says...

As a side issue, is there anyone out there who would be willing
to share a copy of the Analyst documentation?
I'm something of a documentation {*filter*} and would like to add
the Analyst set to my collection.  It would not be filed away
to languish in the back of a cupboard, but would be shared with
interested others as part of my ongoing Smalltalk proselytization.
I preserve and share what history I can...

Thanks,
Bill Felton
Gryfon Technologies

Spam-block email address can be corrected
by converting 'xlax' to
ibm

Quote:

> > >All I know, is that I hope someone can:
> > >1) find a full copy of the sources
> > >2) convince Xerox to opensource it since they obviously aren't interested
> > in
> > >it anymore.

> > >Wishfull thinking I suppose...

> Actually, there *is* a group of people researching just those points.
> In fact, we've got 3 different sources for the Analyst, and one of them
> is within a group that *does* have the power to decide to open source
> the whole thing.

> Sometimew wishfull thinking will see you through....

> :-)
> pete

> > It has been widely reported that this package was developed for the CIA.  I
> > suppose the question which needs to be answered is "Who holds the copyright
> > on this program?".  If Xerox retained copyright then there may be a slim
> > chance they can be persuaded to release it, although I have no idea who to
> > contact.  If it was a "work made for hire" and copyright is held by the CIA
> > I think the chances are zero that you'll ever get permission to play with
> > it.  Just my gut feel.
> > --
> > Bob Jarvis
> > Mail address hacked to foil spammers!
> > Remove "ob" from address to reply

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Is anyone keeping "The Analyst" alive?

: As a side issue, is there anyone out there who would be willing to
: share a copy of the Analyst documentation?  I'm something of a
: documentation {*filter*} and would like to add the Analyst set to my
: collection.  It would not be filed away to languish in the back of a
: cupboard, but would be shared with interested others as part of my
: ongoing Smalltalk proselytization.  I preserve and share what
: history I can...

I have a little bit of the documentation for Analyst and Humble in my
filing cabinet at home. I'll try to get it scanned and on the web
ASAP. Last time I promised someone this, I found it and did not have a
working scanner. Now I have both, so I'll let you know when it is
available.

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

3. Anyone here of "wizards"

4. Anyone know "Kingston Turbochip 5x86"

5. ANYONE ELSE GETTING "UNKNOWN" NEWS POSTINGS

6. Anyone Heard of "H"?

7. Does anyone know anything about "METAMON"?

8. CALL X"81" anyone with documentation

9. HELP, anyone heard of "edit_datalib"

10. Any plans to support "Keep-Alive" in http.tcl package ??

11. Has anyone implemented "Spin widget"?

12. Can anyone help a "newbie"?