INFO-CLS Digest - 13 Oct 1996 to 14 Oct 1996
Author Message
 INFO-CLS Digest - 13 Oct 1996 to 14 Oct 1996

Eli writes,

Quote:
>Does anyone know how can I intentionally activate the garbage collection
>process in gemstone ?
>If I activate markForCollection and wait for the garbage collection only
>about 10% of the garbage is collected. That's why I would like to activate
>it myself and find out what exactly happends.

As far as I know, running a markForCollection to completion and then
waiting for GemStone to reclaim object marked as dead is the only way to
collect garbage that has been flushed to disk. A markForCollection should
reclaim all possible dead objects. How do you know it only reclaims 10%
of the garbage. A markForCollect does not collect garbage, it only marks
garbage for collection. The stone must then process the reclaim list. How
big is your database?

Jody Schraden

Fri, 02 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 INFO-CLS Digest - 13 Oct 1996 to 14 Oct 1996

The markForCollection marked 128M of dead objects space.
The system is set up to run the Garbage collection at night.
The next day only 10M where reclaimed.

I think that the client's problem has something to do with the Settings of the
 garbage collection.
Maybe you have an idea of a suitable setting for them if they want to reclaim
 all the dead object's space once a day at night.

Thanks,
Eli

Date: 10/15/96
Time: 10:09:11

This message was sent by Chameleon
-------------------------------------

Sat, 03 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. INFO-ADA Digest - 12 May 1996 to 13 May 1996 - Spe

2. INFO-ADA Digest - 2 Oct 1996 - Special issue

3. INFO-ADA Digest - 3 Dec 1996 to 4 Dec 1996 - Special issue

4. INFO-ADA Digest - 20 Nov 1996 to 21 Nov 1996

5. INFO-ADA Digest - 26 Sep 1996 to 27 Sep 1996 - Special issue

6. INFO-ADA Digest - 2 Aug 1996 to 4 Aug 1996 - Special issue

7. Dispatch interface - PythonWin 1.4 (Oct 26 1996)

8. INFO-ADA Digest - 16 Oct 1994 to 17 Oct 1994 - Special issue

9. INFO-ADA Digest - 9 Oct 1993 to 10 Oct 1993

10. INFO-ADA Digest - 16 Apr 1996

11. INFO-ADA Digest - 2 Feb 1996

12. comp.lang.forth FAQ: books (14 Jan 1996), part 5/6