Smalltalk and SuSE?
Author Message
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:

>> I in particular like the freedom of such things as Tcl/Tk (executables?
>> What executables?  :-) ), but there are so many other things to choose
>> from: Gtk++, Java, Smalltalk (I think), Motif/Notif/Lesstif, and
>> even good old Athena (it's old, but reliable) and curses (light footprint,
>> but limited graphics).

>As an aside, SuSE comes with smalltalk. Just so's you know :)

Which implementation?

- GNU Smalltalk?
I don't think this one includes class libraries for graphical
interfaces.

- Squeak?
Cool...

- VisualWorks Smalltalk?
[Grumblings about it "not really being free" omitted...]

--
Wow!  Windows now can do everything using shared library DLLs, just
like Multics did back in the 1960s!  Maybe someday they'll discover

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:

> >> from: Gtk++, Java, Smalltalk (I think), Motif/Notif/Lesstif, and
> >> even good old Athena (it's old, but reliable) and curses (light footprint,
> >> but limited graphics).

> >As an aside, SuSE comes with smalltalk. Just so's you know :)

> Which implementation?

> - GNU Smalltalk?
> I don't think this one includes class libraries for graphical
> interfaces.

> - Squeak?
> Cool...

> - VisualWorks Smalltalk?
> [Grumblings about it "not really being free" omitted...]

Do not forget Smalltalk/X (from www.exept.de) under Linux !

Marten

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:

>> >As an aside, SuSE comes with smalltalk. Just so's you know :)

>> Which implementation?

>> - GNU Smalltalk?
>> I don't think this one includes class libraries for graphical
>> interfaces.

>> - Squeak?
>> Cool...

>> - VisualWorks Smalltalk?
>> [Grumblings about it "not really being free" omitted...]

>Do not forget Smalltalk/X (from www.exept.de) under Linux !

So which one is included with SuSE?

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

just out of curiousity; if VisualWorks were free, how do you suppose that
ObjectShare would stay in business with it ?  Even RedHat sells their (value
added) Linux distribution.  Free is great, until you realize that lack of
corporate sponsorship also means lack of commercial adoption...

Quote:

> - VisualWorks Smalltalk?
> [Grumblings about it "not really being free" omitted...]

> --
> Wow!  Windows now can do everything using shared library DLLs, just
> like Multics did back in the 1960s!  Maybe someday they'll discover
> separate processes and pipes, which came out in the 1970s!

--
<Talk Small and carry a Big Class Library>

Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those
of my employer

  jarober.vcf
< 1K Download

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:

> just out of curiousity; if VisualWorks were free, how do you suppose that
> ObjectShare would stay in business with it ?  Even RedHat sells their (value
> added) Linux distribution.  Free is great, until you realize that lack of
> corporate sponsorship also means lack of commercial adoption...

Redhat ad ObjectShare are in different businesses. ObjectShare sells
software they wrote themselves, therefore if they drop their rights to
their IP they're in bug trouble. Redhat packages software written by other
people, and what they primarily give people is peace of mind. Corporate
'sponsorship' is important to different people in different ways.

Simon

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?
Hi:

Haven't used SuSE yet, but I have VisualWorks NC and Commercial working fine in
Caldera as well as RedHat.  Since Caldera uses older glibc libraries, I had to
use the _library work around_ posted on ObjectShare's website.  If SuSE uses the
same glibc as RedHat, it should work _out of the box_.  Otherwise, I'm fairly
certain that the _library work around_ would fix the problem.

BTW - If I read the VWNC license correctly, VWNC is free, provided you don't sell
the resulting software.  And since you are obviously a supporter of free
software, you wouldn't be charging for the software you create, right?  No double
standard, right?

Quote:

> >> I in particular like the freedom of such things as Tcl/Tk (executables?
> >> What executables?  :-) ), but there are so many other things to choose
> >> from: Gtk++, Java, Smalltalk (I think), Motif/Notif/Lesstif, and
> >> even good old Athena (it's old, but reliable) and curses (light footprint,
> >> but limited graphics).

> >As an aside, SuSE comes with smalltalk. Just so's you know :)

> Which implementation?

> - GNU Smalltalk?
> I don't think this one includes class libraries for graphical
> interfaces.

> - Squeak?
> Cool...

> - VisualWorks Smalltalk?
> [Grumblings about it "not really being free" omitted...]

> --
> Wow!  Windows now can do everything using shared library DLLs, just
> like Multics did back in the 1960s!  Maybe someday they'll discover
> separate processes and pipes, which came out in the 1970s!

--
Thanks!!!

Joseph Bacanskas, Lead Software Engineer
Mutual Travel
1201 Third Avenue
Suite 1800
Seattle, WA  98101
USA

v:      206-676-4993
f:      206-676-4666

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:
> So which one is included with SuSE?

GNU Smalltalk is the only one I see in 6.0. The description mentions X
interface class "stix", but I have not looked at it.

-Bill

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:
> Hi:

> Haven't used SuSE yet, but I have VisualWorks NC and Commercial working fine in
> Caldera as well as RedHat.  Since Caldera uses older glibc libraries, I had to
> use the _library work around_ posted on ObjectShare's website.  If SuSE uses the
> same glibc as RedHat, it should work _out of the box_.  Otherwise, I'm fairly
> certain that the _library work around_ would fix the problem.

So far as I can tell, Suse 6.0 does.

I think.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:

>>> Which implementation?

>>> - GNU Smalltalk?
>>> I don't think this one includes class libraries for graphical
>>> interfaces.

>>> - Squeak?
>>> Cool...

>>> - VisualWorks Smalltalk?
>>> [Grumblings about it "not really being free" omitted...]

>>Do not forget Smalltalk/X (from www.exept.de) under Linux !

> So which one is included with SuSE?

Hang on a sec, I'll just look...

<Rummaging on installation CD's>

GNU Smalltalk, FWIW.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:

> > Hi:

> > Haven't used SuSE yet, but I have VisualWorks NC and Commercial working fine in
> > Caldera as well as RedHat.  Since Caldera uses older glibc libraries, I had to
> > use the _library work around_ posted on ObjectShare's website.  If SuSE uses the
> > same glibc as RedHat, it should work _out of the box_.  Otherwise, I'm fairly
> > certain that the _library work around_ would fix the problem.

> So far as I can tell, Suse 6.0 does.

> I think.

Yes it does.  And, "yes" VisualWorks will run on SuSE 6.0.  The only
problem with the older versions was that they weren't glibc2-based and
VisualWorks is compiled against glibc2 (since that's the way the trend
went).  But, SuSE 6.0 has the correct versions of the 6 system libraries
that VW connects to.

It will also work on Pacific HiTech's Turbo Linux 3.0.1.  And
Zentropix.  Caldera too.  But those are the only ones I've got here.

Cheers,
pete

Quote:
> --

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:

> >...Do not forget Smalltalk/X (from www.exept.de) under Linux !

> So which one is included with SuSE?

I've got the "Suse January 1999 Snapshot", and it comes with Smalltalk/X.  I haven't tried it out
yet to see what version it is, whether it's lamed or not (because its normally an expensive
product), etc.

- Robb

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk and SuSE?

Quote:

>And, "yes" VisualWorks will run on SuSE 6.0.

It also runs on SuSE 5.3 if you install the glib compatibitily pack.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  ...and now something completely different

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Soliton APL and SuSE Linux again

2. Soliton APL and SuSE Linux

3. A+ how? (Linux: SuSe 8.0)

4. Installing Squeak with SuSE Linux

5. VW5i3 NC crashes frequently under SuSE Linux 7.0

6. Squeak & Suse 7.3

7. can't install vw5i.4 on suse 7.1

8. Jun386 with VW5i.4 on Linux SuSE 7.2 causes core dumps

9. vw5i.2nc on SuSE/KDE2 segfaults

10. FlagShip SuSE Linux 6.4

11. can't run FlagShip pgms under SuSE 5.2 Linux

12. Ocaml installation on SuSE Linux 8.0