segmentation fault on gabage collect
Author Message
 segmentation fault on gabage collect

Hello,

I encounter a big problem with my current image (quite big : 135 Mo) :
visualworks 5i.4 (Linux) crashes on each garbage collect, so I cannot
publish code with StORE. It crashes also very often on simple actions.
All I can do is to save my code on with "File out as...".
I really don't want to start again from a blank image !
Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Gael

PS: my system is a PIII 800Mhz with 512 Mo
--

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:05:07 GMT
 segmentation fault on gabage collect

Quit, rebuild a fresh image.  Load from Store.  Now select each package, file
in the changes you pushed out

Quote:

--
James A. Robertson
Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:14:46 GMT
 segmentation fault on gabage collect
Thank you,

That allows me to start not too much back. But it's really annoying to
suffer such segmentation faults. Bugs in my code or problems with loaded
packages should not (in a perfect world :-) end with a crash of the virtual
machine with no possible cleaning.
My data are difficult to build and load from file. Having to start from
fresh images is a shame.

Gael

(Note that I tried the vwlinux86dbg VM but it crashes immediatly)

Quote:

> For each Store package, select the package in the package browser.
> Select File Out --> Changes on the package menu for each of your
> packages.

> Quit, rebuild a fresh image.  Load from Store.  Now select each package,
> file in the changes you pushed out

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:55:34 GMT
 segmentation fault on gabage collect
Have you contacted support?

Quote:
>Thank you,

>That allows me to start not too much back. But it's really annoying to
>suffer such segmentation faults. Bugs in my code or problems with loaded
>packages should not (in a perfect world :-) end with a crash of the virtual
>machine with no possible cleaning.
>My data are difficult to build and load from file. Having to start from
>fresh images is a shame.

>Gael

>(Note that I tried the vwlinux86dbg VM but it crashes immediatly)

>> For each Store package, select the package in the package browser.
>> Select File Out --> Changes on the package menu for each of your
>> packages.

>> Quit, rebuild a fresh image.  Load from Store.  Now select each package,
>> file in the changes you pushed out

--
James A. Robertson
Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:10:23 GMT
 segmentation fault on gabage collect
No, I didn't. I was thinking that the non commercial version does not
include support. Am I wrong ? I will look at the web site to find
informations. Thanks.

Gael

Quote:

> Have you contacted support?

>>Thank you,

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:21:09 GMT
 segmentation fault on gabage collect

Quote:
>No, I didn't. I was thinking that the non commercial version does not
>include support. Am I wrong ? I will look at the web site to find
>informations. Thanks.

No, the NC is not supported - although you could try posting to the
vwnc mailing list.  Do you have any DLL's linked with your Smalltalk
system?  What parcels have you loaded?

Quote:

--
James A. Robertson
Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:24:15 GMT
 segmentation fault on gabage collect
Quote:

> No, the NC is not supported - although you could try posting to the
> vwnc mailing list.  Do you have any DLL's linked with your Smalltalk
> system?  What parcels have you loaded?

No linked DLL, but almost all parcels in the distribution are loaded :-/
(Certainly I should not load all this code that I don't use everyday, but my
curiosity is great and I want to try and learn everything...)
I tried to unload some parcels but it crashes as it wants to do a garbage
collect...

Gael

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:39:01 GMT
 segmentation fault on gabage collect
Many of the parcels - especially goodies - are not compatible.

Quote:

--
James A. Robertson
Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:27:32 GMT
 segmentation fault on gabage collect

Quote:
> No linked DLL, but almost all parcels in the distribution are loaded :-/
> (Certainly I should not load all this code that I don't use everyday, but my
> curiosity is great and I want to try and learn everything...)
> I tried to unload some parcels but it crashes as it wants to do a garbage
> collect...

Your problem is most likely a corrupted image. Sorry, there's really not
much you can do about that (except rebuild the image). Although it is
not entirely impossible that the VisualWorks VM has goofed up, it is
also possible to corrupt an image by storing it on a network file
server. I've seen cases on several operating systems where files (not
just Smalltalk images) were damaged that way.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:22:49 GMT
 segmentation fault on gabage collect
OK. Thanks to you and Hans-Martin. I will try to behave more safely in the
future.

Cheers.

Gael

Quote:

--

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:36:04 GMT

1. GP Fault using collect:

2. visual works 3.1 image has segmentation fault on 2.4 kernel (red hat 8.0)

3. Character output yields segmentation fault under Linux

4. Segmentation faults

5. Segmentation Fault while compiling Eiffel classes.

6. Segmentation faults

7. Segmentation fault in POPLOG Linux.

8. Segmentation fault

9. Segmentation fault on VADSself

10. reasons for segmentation faults on linux

11. segmentation faults

12. Segmentation fault on Windows