No Dolphin On UIUC Smalltalk Archive
Author Message
 No Dolphin On UIUC Smalltalk Archive

I noticed about a year ago that the UIUC Smalltalk Archive doesn't
have Dolphin in the list of dialects.  I wanted to upload some public
domain Dolphin code, but couldn't (quickly) figure out how to do it as
the www upload form didn't have Dolphin as a dialect option.  I
briefly looked into it but this got lost in the stack of other stuff I
was tackling.

Is there some other site like the UIUC Smalltalk Archive I don't know
about where Dolphineers post code?

If not, do folks think it is worth messing with to get Dolphin in the
list of dialects?

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:10:00 GMT
 No Dolphin On UIUC Smalltalk Archive
Richard,

Quote:
> I noticed about a year ago that the UIUC Smalltalk Archive doesn't
> have Dolphin in the list of dialects.  I wanted to upload some public
> domain Dolphin code, but couldn't (quickly) figure out how to do it as
> the www upload form didn't have Dolphin as a dialect option.  I
> briefly looked into it but this got lost in the stack of other stuff I
> was tackling.

> Is there some other site like the UIUC Smalltalk Archive I don't know
> about where Dolphineers post code?

It's usually done on personal web sites.  OA has a third party library, but,
it's easier for OA and the rest of us if we maintain our own web sites.

Quote:
> If not, do folks think it is worth messing with to get Dolphin in the
> list of dialects?

The exposure wouldn't hurt.  IIRC, I've never been able to get UUIC's search
engine to work, so it's not the first place I visit.  The Dolphin Wiki can
always use some polishing though, and you can link from it to any site that
you want.  In particular, you can put stuff on a personal web site that
moves around, but have a stable page on the Wiki that you edit to reflect
where the files can be found.

On a different topic, are you "the SIF guy"?  Some time ago, I dropped the
ball on something related to a VW->Dolphin file in problem, and I think it
was you who kindly offered to send me some files.  If there's anything along
those lines that would be helpful, please feel free to send it.  If I have
you confused with somebody else, then feel free to ignore this.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:30:32 GMT
 No Dolphin On UIUC Smalltalk Archive

I got behind a little in my email and news groups, sorry.

On Wed, 9 May 2001 12:30:32 -0400, "Bill Schwab"

Quote:

>> I noticed about a year ago that the UIUC Smalltalk Archive doesn't
>> have Dolphin in the list of dialects.  I wanted to upload some public
>> domain Dolphin code, but couldn't (quickly) figure out how to do it as
>> the www upload form didn't have Dolphin as a dialect option.  I
>> briefly looked into it but this got lost in the stack of other stuff I
>> was tackling.

As I remember Squeak is not listed either.  It has its own site also
at UIUC.

I sent an a couple of emails about adding Dolphin to the contact
person listed on the page, but I assume they are very busy folks, and
I failed to follow up.

Quote:

>> Is there some other site like the UIUC Smalltalk Archive I don't know
>> about where Dolphineers post code?

>It's usually done on personal web sites.  OA has a third party library, but,
>it's easier for OA and the rest of us if we maintain our own web sites.

My personal site may go away in a couple of months, so I was looking
for a more permanent location.

Quote:
>> If not, do folks think it is worth messing with to get Dolphin in the
>> list of dialects?

>The exposure wouldn't hurt.  IIRC, I've never been able to get UUIC's search
>engine to work, so it's not the first place I visit.  The Dolphin Wiki can
>always use some polishing though, and you can link from it to any site that
>you want.  In particular, you can put stuff on a personal web site that
>moves around, but have a stable page on the Wiki that you edit to reflect
>where the files can be found.

I think it would also help if there were a few well recognized places
to look for Dolphin stuff.

I think it is useful to have a central location for Smalltalk stuff of
any dialect.  I often spot something useful there when looking for
something else.  There is a lot of great stuff for VW and ST/V in the
UIUC Smalltalk Archive.

Quote:
>On a different topic, are you "the SIF guy"?  Some time ago, I dropped the
>ball on something related to a VW->Dolphin file in problem, and I think it
>was you who kindly offered to send me some files.  If there's anything along
>those lines that would be helpful, please feel free to send it.  If I have
>you confused with somebody else, then feel free to ignore this.

Yes, I'm "the SIF guy".  I reworked Eric Arseneau's SIF 2.0 to create
a Dolphin package from a SIF file in, and to file out a package in
SIF.  This is for Dolphin 3.0.  My reworked version is now available
for downloading at my new web page location:

        http://home.rconnect.com/~raharmon/

I have to get a better understanding of how packages work in Dolphin
4.0 to get them in and out in SIF properly.

I hope there can be common SIF implementation for all dialects.  Eric
Arseneau's excellent SIF 2.0 available now for Dolphin, Squeak, VA,
and VW at:

        http://www.pocketsmalltalk.com/sif/

I've emailed him about the rework and he said he will check it out as
soon as he can.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"

Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:08:21 GMT

1. How to connect to Smalltalk Archive (st-www.cs.uiuc.edu)

2. UIUC Smalltalk archive

3. UIUC archive status?

4. UIUC Archives still posting submissions?

5. Hierarchical-Inspector from UIUC-Archive

6. ANNOUNCE: Adventure in VisualWorks posted to UIUC Archive

7. Dave's Smalltalk FAQ online at UIUC

8. Smalltalk/X Demo 2nd release at UIUC

9. Dolphin Smalltalk Testimonial / Smalltalk testimonial

10. Dolphin SmallTalk & Smalltalk/MT

11. Dolphin Smalltalk & Pocket Smalltalk Forums

12. Dolphin and Advocacy groups added to Deja (was Re: Reading directory contents in Dolphin)