Difference between JUN and Java 3D API
Author Message
 Difference between JUN and Java 3D API

Can somebody provide a pros/cons from a functionality perspective
between JUN and the JAVA 3D API. I told that the Java 3D API is also
an OpenGL wrap , is the performance essentially the same between the
two?

thanks

Charles
OCIT

Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:54:02 GMT
 Difference between JUN and Java 3D API
As long as I know...

On 9 Sep 2002 12:54:02 -0700

Quote:

> Can somebody provide a pros/cons from a functionality perspective
> between JUN and the JAVA 3D API.

  Basically the same in a sense that, as you mentioned, both are
  OpenGL wraps.

  Java 3D uses a Scene Graph based object model, like vrml and
  Web3D, but Jun does not.

  Java 3D provides some utility APIs including collision
  detection, but Jun does not.

  Jun provides Topology handling APIs besides Geometry handling,
  but Java 3D does not.

  Jun provides many viewer examples which can be used as
  frameworks to build your own applications.

Quote:
> I told that the Java 3D API is also
> an OpenGL wrap , is the performance essentially the same between the
> two?

  I've never compared these two with the performance viewpoint,
  but I guess their performance of rendering (without a hardware
  acceleration) are essentially the same.

                            Best regards,

Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:11:57 GMT
 Difference between JUN and Java 3D API
Forgot to mention a major difference. :-)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:11:57 +0900

Quote:

> On 9 Sep 2002 12:54:02 -0700

> > Can somebody provide a pros/cons from a functionality perspective
> > between JUN and the JAVA 3D API.

>   Basically the same in a sense that, as you mentioned, both are
>   OpenGL wraps.

>   Java 3D uses a Scene Graph based object model, like VRML and
>   Web3D, but Jun does not.

>   Java 3D provides some utility APIs including collision
>   detection, but Jun does not.

>   Jun provides Topology handling APIs besides Geometry handling,
>   but Java 3D does not.

>   Jun provides many viewer examples which can be used as
>   frameworks to build your own applications.

  Jun comes with the source code, but Java 3D does not.

                            Best regards,

Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:23:47 GMT
 Difference between JUN and Java 3D API
Can we expect from JUN to soon include utilities such as collision
detection sometime soon? If so when.

Also are the Smalltalk and Java versions of JUN totally comparable?

If one is interested in representing relationships and interactions of
nodes
in a network would JUN's topology API provide an advantage?

thanks

Charles
OCIT

Quote:

> Forgot to mention a major difference. :-)

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:11:57 +0900

> > On 9 Sep 2002 12:54:02 -0700

> > > Can somebody provide a pros/cons from a functionality perspective
> > > between JUN and the JAVA 3D API.

> >   Basically the same in a sense that, as you mentioned, both are
> >   OpenGL wraps.

> >   Java 3D uses a Scene Graph based object model, like VRML and
> >   Web3D, but Jun does not.

> >   Java 3D provides some utility APIs including collision
> >   detection, but Jun does not.

> >   Jun provides Topology handling APIs besides Geometry handling,
> >   but Java 3D does not.

> >   Jun provides many viewer examples which can be used as
> >   frameworks to build your own applications.

>   Jun comes with the source code, but Java 3D does not.

>                             Best regards,

Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:11:42 GMT
 Difference between JUN and Java 3D API

On 10 Sep 2002 08:11:42 -0700

Quote:

> Can we expect from JUN to soon include utilities such as collision
> detection sometime soon? If so when.

  I'm not for sure.  It depends.

Quote:
> Also are the Smalltalk and Java versions of JUN totally comparable?

  The latest version of "Jun for Java" is 347.  It is comparable
  with the same version of "Jun for Smalltalk".

Quote:
> If one is interested in representing relationships and
> interactions of nodes in a network would JUN's topology API
> provide an advantage?

  If you need to apply Eulerian operations on the network, Jun
  will help.

  If you just need to represent nodes and links, Jun provides a
  grapher library.

    http://www.sra.co.jp/people/aoki/Jun/Manuals/Jun/OpenGLGrapherModel/O...

                            Best regards,

Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:50:03 GMT

1. Q: Best 3D API for Java ???

2. Q: Best Java 3D API ???

3. Java 3D API, implementation ?

4. SUN RELEASES JAVA 3D API SPECIFICATION FOR PUBLIC COMMENT

5. Using 3D Graphics Library JUN

6. 3d graphics with Jun?

7. Jun for Java (Jun392)

8. Jun for Java (Jun379)