Smalltalk programming idioms and styles
Author Message
 Smalltalk programming idioms and styles

Are there any books, articles, papers that talk about "idioms" and "styles"
when using the Smalltalk language that are used by more experienced
programmers?

I am looking for something like Coplien's book, "Advanced C++ Programming
Styles and Idioms", which illustrates snipets of code that are used as
building blocks repeatedly.  In "C", an example is

while (*cp1++ = *cp2++);

An example of a code "idiom" in Smalltalk that is used by more experienced
programmers would be to use inject:into: rather than other collection
methods.

Any pointer, comments, or other examples are greatly appreciated.

- Alexis

Sun, 11 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk programming idioms and styles

Quote:

>Are there any books, articles, papers that talk about "idioms" and "styles"
>when using the Smalltalk language that are used by more experienced
>programmers?

>I am looking for something like Coplien's book, "Advanced C++ Programming
>Styles and Idioms", which illustrates snipets of code that are used as
>building blocks repeatedly.  In "C", an example is

Not directly, but Coplien is the co-editor of a new book on "Pattern
Languages of Program Design," and some of the included articles mention
Smalltalk and use it for examples.

I just bought it. It looks pretty good, but is certainly not for Smalltalk
what Coplien's C++ book was for C++. The relative sizes of the markets
for C++ vs. Smalltalk suggest such a book may not be coming for a while.

--Tim May

Timothy C. May       | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,

408-728-0152         | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
Corralitos, CA       | black markets, collapse of governments.

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Smalltalk programming idioms and styles

Quote:

>>Are there any books, articles, papers that talk about "idioms" and "styles"
>>when using the Smalltalk language that are used by more experienced
>>programmers?
>The relative sizes of the markets
>for C++ vs. Smalltalk suggest such a book may not be coming for a while.

In fact, Kent Beck is working on such a book for Smalltalk.  If you
see any references to "Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns" then you will
know that this is what is meant.  SBPP is much more exhaustive than
Advanced C++, since it talks about a much broader range of issues.
It will end up being several volumes, and it will probably be six months
to a year before the first volume is out.  In the meantime, the book
"Smalltalk with Style" is pretty good, though it doesn't have nearly
as much information in it.

There is a sense in which Smalltalk doesn't need a book like this as much as
C++ does.  The image is a pretty good teacher.  I've noticed that most
Smalltalkers with several years of experience have a more similar style
than programmers in other languages, and I think it is because they've
all read the same code to learn the language.  Of course, most
Smalltalk programmers don't have several years of experience, and
books like this are important until they do.  They are even helpful
for more advanced programmers because they provide a common vocabulary
and help us to think about why we do what we do.  But Coplien had to
invent style for C++, while there is already a consistent style for
Smalltalk.

-Ralph Johnson

Wed, 14 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Smalltalk programming idioms and styles

2. Command/Style/Idiom - post-result actions

3. Book about good styles, common idioms?

4. Smalltalk Programming Style Paper Wanted

5. Smalltalk programming style

6. differences bwetween smalltalk idioms

7. Smalltalk Idioms (in English)

8. A few idioms and programs for new J'ers

9. Programming Idiom

10. Pythonic idioms / Programming Puzzle

11. Smalltalk style

12. Smalltalk with Style?