smalltalk and Macintosh..Wow!
Author Message
 smalltalk and Macintosh..Wow!

Hello everyone again!
    Thanks sooooo much for the input! I didn't expect much of a response
from such a simple question but, you've really helped a lot!  I'm going
to try out squeak and see how it runs....Now for the second
question....... I'm super new to Smalltalk (actually I've never
programmed with it before) and I'd like to get a good book on the
subject. Could someone suggest a good one? I'd like on that gives a good
overview of classes and their implementation. Thanks in advance!

Sincerelty,

and e{*filter*}dly waiting,

Brian Gilman

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 smalltalk and Macintosh..Wow!

Quote:

> Hello everyone again!
>     Thanks sooooo much for the input! I didn't expect much of a response
> from such a simple question but, you've really helped a lot!  I'm going
> to try out squeak and see how it runs....Now for the second
> question....... I'm super new to smalltalk (actually I've never

----------------> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <--------------------------------

Quote:
> programmed with it before) and I'd like to get a good book on the
> subject. Could someone suggest a good one? I'd like on that gives a good
> overview of classes and their implementation. Thanks in advance!

Being 'super new' is very "smalltalk-ish" ... B-)

    Davide
---
Davide Grandi

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 smalltalk and Macintosh..Wow!

Quote:

> ... I'm super new to smalltalk (actually I've never
> programmed with it before) and I'd like to get a good book on the
> subject. Could someone suggest a good one?

To get a good understanding of the language philosophy in general, one can
do no better than the original work "Smalltalk-80, The Language" by Adele
Goldberg and David Robson, also knows as "The Purple Book" (or "The Blue
Book" in the original edition).

Sure, it's dated, and it describes no current Smalltalk version (I'd guess
Squeak is closest, VisualWorks second), but it is a lucid description of
the whole OO concept, as implemented in Smalltalk, by the single person
most responsable for the invention of the language.

Quote:
> I'd like on that gives a good
> overview of classes and their implementation.

The Purple Book has a good description of most basic classes, but is weak
on UI classes, which is good, since they've changed the most. But I'm
hoping you want to understand things like Dictionaries, Streams, and
possibly even Behavior before doing too much programming.

Quote:
> Thanks in advance!

You're welcome, and welcome to Smalltalk!

--
: Jan Steinman (jan AT bytesmiths DOT com)
: 19280 Rydman Court, West Linn, OR 97068 USA

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. smalltalk and Macintosh..Wow!

2. Smalltalk on ancient Macintosh

3. SmallTalk for Macintosh Needed

4. Smalltalk for Macintosh?

5. Smalltalk for Macintosh?

6. Smalltalk and Macintosh?

7. Smalltalk/V v2.0 for Macintosh available

8. smalltalk for macintosh

9. ANNOUNCE: Little Smalltalk for Macintosh v3.1.4

10. What SmallTalks for a Macintosh?

11. Macintosh Common Lisp or Smalltalk Agents?

12. Will GNU Smalltalk run on Macintosh?