Squeak can't 'condenseChanges'
Author Message
 Squeak can't 'condenseChanges'

On my Mac (OS 7.1), I tried to do the recommended
'condenseChanges' as coded in the initial window when you first launch
Squeak. The 'condense' ran for an hour, and did almost nothing.

Doing some simple debugging, I determined that the method executing
(looping endlessly?) was:

        ClassDescription-> fileOutChangedMessages: on: moveSource: toFile:

'self' in this case was class 'Behavior'.

I haven't changed this image much (I just started it!). If I can't
condenseChanges with Squeak, I am not sure what use it will be to me.

I have all 3 files (.image, .changes, .sources) defined on the same
folder as Squeak.

Thanks,

Tim Coffey.

Would someone post a Squeak site URL, or a Squeak mailbox, if there
is/are one.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak can't 'condenseChanges'

Quote:

> Would someone post a Squeak site URL, or a Squeak mailbox, if there
> is/are one.

                http://squeak.org
        ==      http://www.create.ucsb.edu/squeak

There are archives of the original mailing list at the above URL.

After an incident with the machines at CREATE the squeak list was
moved to UIUC.  The announcement is below.

Ian

  Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 13:50:41 -0800

  Folks:

  Thanks to John Brant, following aliases have been
  established for the Squeak mailing list:

  Mail to the Squeak lists should be posted to these addresses.
  To add or remove yourself, send mail to:

  with with the subject of "subscribe" or "unsubscribe".

  John has also set up archiving for these lists:

    I setup an archive at http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/mail/squeak/. The
    squeak-annc list is at http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/mail/squeak-annc/,
    but there aren't any messages there yet.

  We did our best to get everyone from the old lists onto the new
  ones. If you had removed yourself from the list just before the
  computer system problems at UCSB, you may have re-appeared on this
  list. In that case, my apologies; we didn't want to lose anyone.
  You should be able to unsubscribe by following the directions
  above.

  This would be a terrific time to thank Stephen Pope for hosting
  the Squeak list for this past 1.3 years <pause until the wild
  cheering subsides> and to thank John Brant for setting up the
  new lists.

  Onward into the future!

          -- John

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak can't 'condenseChanges'

Quote:

> On my Mac (OS 7.1), I tried to do the recommended
> 'condenseChanges' as coded in the initial window when you first launch
> Squeak. The 'condense' ran for an hour, and did almost nothing.

Tim -

What version of Squeak?

Quote:
> Doing some simple debugging, I determined that the method executing
> (looping endlessly?) was:

>         ClassDescription-> fileOutChangedMessages: on: moveSource: toFile:

> 'self' in this case was class 'Behavior'.

This is where it should be much of the time.
Did you have a Transcript open?  If so, what did it say?
        If not, then retry with Transcript open  and tell me what happens.
        Feel free to email me directly.

Quote:
> I haven't changed this image much (I just started it!). If I can't
> condenseChanges with Squeak, I am not sure what use it will be to me.

> I have all 3 files (.image, .changes, .sources) defined on the same
> folder as Squeak.

Is there plenty of disk space available?

Quote:
> Would someone post a Squeak site URL, or a Squeak mailbox, if there
> is/are one.

The Squeak mail list is

        - Dan

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Squeak can't 'condenseChanges'

Quote:

> On my Mac (OS 7.1), I tried to do the recommended
> 'condenseChanges' as coded in the initial window when you first launch
> Squeak. The 'condense' ran for an hour, and did almost nothing.

condenseChanges seems to work ok on my AcornRPC, and my (spit) W95PC. I think I successfully did it once on my Mac8100, but I wouldn't swear to it. Takes 10-20 minutes at worst. It's not something to do very often - why would you consider it so important?
Quote:

> Would someone post a Squeak site URL, or a Squeak mailbox, if there
> is/are one.

There are plenty:-
http://www.squeak.org
http://www.create.ucsb.edu/squeak
plus _loads_ linked from these two, not forgetting my own at http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim

--
Useful random insult:- Couldn't balance a checkbook if Einstein
helped.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Squeak can't 'condenseChanges'

3. squeak won't squeak...

4. It's not bad canned meat...

5. It's not bad canned meat...

6. It's not bad canned meat...

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

9. Wanted: Hints'n'Tips'n'Bits'n'Bobs

10. There is an 'U'|'X'|'W'|'Z'|'-' in an arithmetic operand

11. ( 2.31.New operators: 'eq', 'ne', 'last', '..' ) ?

12. What means, e.g., ('';'/')"_