Wanted: Good Intro/Reference text for Smalltalk
Author Message
 Wanted: Good Intro/Reference text for Smalltalk

I am about to begin an introductory course for Smalltalk.  Can anyone
recommend a good reference text.  I would prefer to purchase a text that
has a comprehensive index, concise examples, etc. (ie., something I can
use in the real world once the course is finished!).

Thx!
Peter Samson
CAP Gemini America
Seattle, WA

Thu, 06 Mar 1997 00:34:31 GMT
 Wanted: Good Intro/Reference text for Smalltalk

Quote:
>I am about to begin an introductory course for Smalltalk.  Can anyone
>recommend a good reference text.  I would prefer to purchase a text that
>has a comprehensive index, concise examples, etc. (ie., something I can
>use in the real world once the course is finished!).

>Thx!
>Peter Samson
>CAP Gemini America
>Seattle, WA

A number of years ago, BYTE covered Smalltalk. Check it out for
the highlights. From there you should proceed to the Blue Book,
the documentation of the Smalltalk-80 programming system.
It was written by this leady (forgot her name, sorry, she was
working at Xerox/Parcplace, goldburg?)

Good luck,

Roeland Loggen

--
// ===========================================================================

// Cambridge Technology Partners        The things you would have done
// Cambridge MA                         yesterday, if you had the time

Sat, 08 Mar 1997 11:08:52 GMT
 Wanted: Good Intro/Reference text for Smalltalk

Quote:

>>I am about to begin an introductory course for Smalltalk.  Can anyone
>>recommend a good reference text.  I would prefer to purchase a text that
>>has a comprehensive index, concise examples, etc. (ie., something I can
>>use in the real world once the course is finished!).

>>Thx!
>>Peter Samson
>>CAP Gemini America
>>Seattle, WA

>A number of years ago, BYTE covered Smalltalk. Check it out for
>the highlights. From there you should proceed to the Blue Book,
>the documentation of the Smalltalk-80 programming system.
>It was written by this leady (forgot her name, sorry, she was
>working at Xerox/Parcplace, goldburg?)

The "Blue" book has been out of print for a number of years, and has
been superceded by the "Purple" book:

        Goldberg, Adele, and Robson, David, _Smalltalk-80: The
        Language, Addison-Wesley, 1989. ISBN 0-01-13688-0

The "Blue" book was written, I believe, while Adele was still manager of
the Learning Research Group at Xerox PARC. The "Purple" book was done
after ParcPlace Systems, Inc., had spun off as a company separate from
Xerox, with Adele as CEO.
--

Tue, 11 Mar 1997 05:16:10 GMT
 Wanted: Good Intro/Reference text for Smalltalk

If you're going Digitalk, I would recommend "Discovering Smalltalk".  I found
it quite helpful in reading before, during, and after training.  (Sorry - I
don't have the author name with me).  It was published within the last year
or so, so the bookstore should know about it.  Good luck!

Julie

Thu, 20 Mar 1997 01:17:01 GMT

1. Wanted: Good Intro/Reference text for Smalltalk

2. Wanted: references on using Scheme for Intro CS courses

3. Good Intro Text for Forth

4. Intro Modual-2 Text recommendations wanted

5. Intro Modual-2 Text recommendations wanted

6. Your vote for best verilog intro text?

7. Good intro book on Smalltalk?

8. HELP: Intro to Smalltalk book wanted

9. I need references for good texts...

10. Good Reference Books for Objectworks/Smalltalk?

11. Ned a good reference for smalltalk.

12. Good Smalltalk training references