Help: Need all changes in a date-range 
Author Message
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a date-range?  
(Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)
Thanks in advance.
-Joe P.


Sun, 12 Sep 2004 05:42:40 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range
changes in code or a database of production data?

can you be a little more specific on what you are doing and looking for?

as for being a novice in VW, WHY? there isn't even enough paid work for
those of us with 9 years of experience. why not pick something you can get
some money for, like VB?

--
******************************
Fred Parker
I hail from Hotmail
My Handle is eticket2000
******************************


Quote:
> Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a date-range?
> (Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)
> Thanks in advance.
> -Joe P.



Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:47:42 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:
> changes in code or a database of production data?

> can you be a little more specific on what you are doing and looking for?

> as for being a novice in VW, WHY? there isn't even enough paid work for
> those of us with 9 years of experience. why not pick something you can get
> some money for, like VB?

Its like saying, why would you ever want to go play golf/tennis/whatever,
there are already many professionals competing each other and you're just a
newbie that will never get to make money playing it anyway, so play lottery
instead.
Why is there so much flaming on this group lately? I don't think Joe was
asking any advice in choosing the language to learn.

Just my $.02

--
-Boris Popov
http://members.shaw.ca/popov/

Quote:

> --
> ******************************
> Fred Parker
> I hail from Hotmail
> My Handle is eticket2000
> ******************************



> > Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a date-range?
> > (Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)
> > Thanks in advance.
> > -Joe P.



Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:01:38 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:
>changes in code or a database of production data?

>can you be a little more specific on what you are doing and looking for?

>as for being a novice in VW, WHY? there isn't even enough paid work for
>those of us with 9 years of experience. why not pick something you can get
>some money for, like VB?

>--
>******************************
>Fred Parker
>I hail from Hotmail
>My Handle is eticket2000
>******************************



>> Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a date-range?
>> (Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)
>> Thanks in advance.
>> -Joe P.

I'm looking for changes in code, within a specific date-range.


Sun, 12 Sep 2004 23:21:27 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:

> as for being a novice in VW, WHY? there isn't even enough paid work for
> those of us with 9 years of experience. why not pick something you can get
> some money for, like VB?

That has been the case for most technologies over the past 6 months,
however things are picking up.  And I wouldn't be too surprised to see
Smalltalk skills being demanded in saavy entrepenurial companies that
have never used ST before, especially if consultants that know the
language are willing to work with smaller companies.


Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:09:32 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:

>Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a date-range?  
>(Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)
>Thanks in advance.
>-Joe P.

On a similar note..  Sometimes when I go "More Recent Editions" it shows
several other older editions.  I'd like to be able to clear out those old
"More Recent Editions" from showing up in the list..  Anyone know how?
Maybe I should just write a filter that only shows the more recent editions
for a given package that are newer than the latest versioned class.

Ian

---
http://www.upright.net/ian/



Mon, 13 Sep 2004 00:37:08 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range
i am just trying to give the newbie some advance warning. ST has been dead
for a long time. Cincom has done a great job with it and it may come back.
my feeling is it wont. why? it is too good. it requires more effort to do
things right. with competition from something as simple as MS-Access where
any Schmo can build an application in an afternoon there is no hope for ST
to be big like COBOL, JAVA or BASIC.

like it or not, and i don't like it but have accepted it, the is a language
that will never get a market share. even the big parties that can make a
difference that came from PARC, Digitalk and the UML crowd know this. it
just doesn't pay the bills.

sorry to crash the party

--
******************************
Fred Parker
I hail from Hotmail
My Handle is eticket2000
******************************


Quote:


> > changes in code or a database of production data?

> > can you be a little more specific on what you are doing and looking for?

> > as for being a novice in VW, WHY? there isn't even enough paid work for
> > those of us with 9 years of experience. why not pick something you can
get
> > some money for, like VB?

> Its like saying, why would you ever want to go play golf/tennis/whatever,
> there are already many professionals competing each other and you're just
a
> newbie that will never get to make money playing it anyway, so play
lottery
> instead.
> Why is there so much flaming on this group lately? I don't think Joe was
> asking any advice in choosing the language to learn.

> Just my $.02

> --
> -Boris Popov
> http://members.shaw.ca/popov/

> > --
> > ******************************
> > Fred Parker
> > I hail from Hotmail
> > My Handle is eticket2000
> > ******************************



> > > Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a date-range?
> > > (Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > > -Joe P.



Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:34:41 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range
If that's what you think, why do you spend time reading the newsgroup?


Quote:

>i am just trying to give the newbie some advance warning. ST has been dead
>for a long time. Cincom has done a great job with it and it may come back.
>my feeling is it wont. why? it is too good. it requires more effort to do
>things right. with competition from something as simple as MS-Access where
>any Schmo can build an application in an afternoon there is no hope for ST
>to be big like COBOL, JAVA or BASIC.

>like it or not, and i don't like it but have accepted it, the is a language
>that will never get a market share. even the big parties that can make a
>difference that came from PARC, Digitalk and the UML crowd know this. it
>just doesn't pay the bills.

>sorry to crash the party

>--
>******************************
>Fred Parker
>I hail from Hotmail
>My Handle is eticket2000
>******************************





>> > changes in code or a database of production data?

>> > can you be a little more specific on what you are doing and looking for?

>> > as for being a novice in VW, WHY? there isn't even enough paid work for
>> > those of us with 9 years of experience. why not pick something you can
>get
>> > some money for, like VB?

>> Its like saying, why would you ever want to go play golf/tennis/whatever,
>> there are already many professionals competing each other and you're just
>a
>> newbie that will never get to make money playing it anyway, so play
>lottery
>> instead.
>> Why is there so much flaming on this group lately? I don't think Joe was
>> asking any advice in choosing the language to learn.

>> Just my $.02

>> --
>> -Boris Popov
>> http://members.shaw.ca/popov/

>> > --
>> > ******************************
>> > Fred Parker
>> > I hail from Hotmail
>> > My Handle is eticket2000
>> > ******************************



>> > > Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a date-range?
>> > > (Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)
>> > > Thanks in advance.
>> > > -Joe P.

--
James A. Robertson
Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

<Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>


Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:34:47 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range
Fred:

The guy you spammed (not Boris, Joe Palumbo) is struggling to learn
how to use Smalltalk because it is his job.  He is trying to support
an application about which he knows very little, in a language he
doesn't really know.  He has (as far as I can guess from his posts
over the past ~6 months) been told that there isn't any money for any
ST contractor help and to learn it on his own.  Give him a break and
either answer his *technical* question, or go bother some other
newsgroup.

Quote:

> i am just trying to give the newbie some advance warning. ST has
> been dead for a long time. Cincom has done a great job with it and
> it may come back. my feeling is it wont. why? it is too good. it
> requires more effort to do things right. with competition from
> something as simple as MS-Access where any Schmo can build an
> application in an afternoon there is no hope for ST to be big like
> COBOL, JAVA or BASIC.

> like it or not, and i don't like it but have accepted it, the is a
> language that will never get a market share. even the big parties
> that can make a difference that came from PARC, Digitalk and the UML
> crowd know this. it just doesn't pay the bills.

> sorry to crash the party

> --
> ******************************
> Fred Parker
> I hail from Hotmail
> My Handle is eticket2000
> ******************************





>> > changes in code or a database of production data?

>> > can you be a little more specific on what you are doing and
>> > looking for?

>> > as for being a novice in VW, WHY? there isn't even enough paid
>> > work for those of us with 9 years of experience. why not pick
>> > something you can
> get
>> > some money for, like VB?

>> Its like saying, why would you ever want to go play
>> golf/tennis/whatever, there are already many professionals
>> competing each other and you're just
> a
>> newbie that will never get to make money playing it anyway, so play
> lottery
>> instead.
>> Why is there so much flaming on this group lately? I don't think
>> Joe was asking any advice in choosing the language to learn.

>> Just my $.02

>> --
>> -Boris Popov
>> http://members.shaw.ca/popov/

>> > --
>> > ******************************
>> > Fred Parker
>> > I hail from Hotmail
>> > My Handle is eticket2000
>> > ******************************



>> > > Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a
>> > > date-range? (Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)
>> > > Thanks in advance.
>> > > -Joe P.

--
Thanks!!
Joseph Bacanskas [|]
--- I use Smalltalk.  My amp goes to eleven.


Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:52:04 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:

>i am just trying to give the newbie some advance warning. ST has been dead
>for a long time. Cincom has done a great job with it and it may come back.
>my feeling is it wont. why? it is too good. it requires more effort to do
>things right. with competition from something as simple as MS-Access where
>any Schmo can build an application in an afternoon there is no hope for ST
>to be big like COBOL, JAVA or BASIC.

So if someone builds an app that is as powerful as MS-Access, but they write
it in Smalltalk, and it is infintely more flexible than MS-Access, there is
still no hope for ST for ever being big?  If you still think that, I think
you would be very wrong.

Can you prove to me that such apps won't exist in the future?  If not, then
your statements are as useful as telling us when the second coming will be.

Ian

---
http://www.upright.net/ian/



Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:57:48 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:

> i am just trying to give the newbie some advance warning. ST has been dead
> for a long time. Cincom has done a great job with it and it may come back.
> my feeling is it wont. why? it is too good. it requires more effort to do
> things right. with competition from something as simple as MS-Access where
> any Schmo can build an application in an afternoon there is no hope for ST
> to be big like COBOL, JAVA or BASIC.

Maybe.  But even if not big, it can continue to be better. And I can
guarrantee you that it does things that none of those languages does - I
have written major stuff in COBOL and enough in BASIC to know first
hand.  And I know many good JAVA people who agree as well.

True, better doesn't always make it really big, but growth is still a
reasonable expectation.



Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:37:54 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:

> Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a date-range?  
> (Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)
> Thanks in advance.
> -Joe P.

I don't know about the ENVY part (I would imagine ENVY has some sort
of timestamps and can manage them).

For changes with VW only there is no (build-in) way to filter
code-changes by date. VW can be extended to include timestamp every
time you accept a method (it's simply in comment) and the change list
browser to use those timestamps for filtering purposes. This solution
has 2 disadvantages for you:
1) such changes to VW base are not easy to make for a novice (I'll try
to find the time and dig out the code)
2) obviously, you can only filter code-changes made after you install
such patch, so it won't help you with already existing code-changes

Regards, radoslav
--
"Afraid to ship strangers"



Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:21:41 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:
> If that's what you think, why do you spend time reading the newsgroup?

i have been here a long time. i was and still am a big fan of ST. i wrote a
ton of systems in it and i like it very much. the only 2 languages that i
really like at ST and COBOL.

the dunder heads at PARC single-handedly destroyed the company (both parc
and digitalk) and the market for smalltalk. for that i am bitter (from the
purist point of view). i had the parc idiots out at my company many times
and they just didn't get what the business community needed. that is why
they went bust. digitalk knew what we needed, but in the end they got picked
up by the great and powerful parc only to have their product line killed.

now, as st rises from the ashes it has challenges and an old stigma to wipe
off. good luck to them. if i could find work in st i would. so far, only the
same old players are using st and most of them are using va. not to fault
the guys at ibm, but i really don't like their product.

btw, if cincom hires goldberg or lyons, RUN!

--
******************************
Fred Parker
I hail from Hotmail
My Handle is eticket2000
******************************



Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:03:53 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:
> Is there a way that I can view all changes made within a date-range?
> (Please be specific, since I'm a novice at VW.)

I'm not sure if you want to look in the database or whether you are just
wanting the methods in the current image. If you are just wanting methods in
the image that have been modified, you can use something like:

    | allMethods start end |
    start := EmTimeStamp new: (Date today subtractDays: 10) asSeconds.
    end := EmTimeStamp now.
    allMethods := OrderedCollection new.
    Smalltalk allBehaviorsDo: [:each |
          each selectors do: [:sel |
               | method |
               method := each compiledMethodAt: sel.
               (method timeStamp between: start and: end) ifTrue:
[allMethods add: method]]].
    allMethods

This will open an inspector on all methods modified in the last 10 days. If
you have the Refactoring Browser loaded, you could execute:

    (BrowserEnvironment new methodsModifiedDuringTheLast: (10*24*60*60))
openEditor

John Brant



Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:04:09 GMT  
 Help: Need all changes in a date-range

Quote:
> Fred:

> The guy you spammed (not Boris, Joe Palumbo) is struggling to learn
> how to use Smalltalk because it is his job.  He is trying to support
> an application about which he knows very little, in a language he
> doesn't really know.  He has (as far as I can guess from his posts
> over the past ~6 months) been told that there isn't any money for any
> ST contractor help and to learn it on his own...

talk about a setup for failure. st is hard enough to learn with training.
and on top if it, it looks like he doesn't even have a version/change
control software in place. he should run from that place. that is called
'management by stupidity'

--
******************************
Fred Parker
I hail from Hotmail
My Handle is eticket2000
******************************



Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:06:14 GMT  
 
 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages 

1. CW2.003 File copy changes the date.....need a way to copy w/o date change

2. Need help on date range fot sales tax

3. changing date range from print station

4. CW4 - Ranges question - changing range values while running

5. HELP: SQL ODBC date range, 2nd post

6. Need help with ranges

7. Need help CW2002 with BrowseBox Filter/Range.

8. Run-time Range Limit Help Needed

9. I Need help with Range Limits on a Browse (Keyed File)

10. coding a date range

11. DB Date Range Field Type

12. CW Browse Template Date Range & ODBC

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software