Access of 16 Bit DLLs from Windows NT
Author Message
 Access of 16 Bit DLLs from Windows NT

     I am posting this for my friend...

     ParcPlace states on pg. 107 of DLL and C Connect Manual, that they do
     not support 16-bit DLLs in Windows NT version.

     Any ideas/comments/suggestions in accessing 16 bit DLLs from NT in
     Visual Works 2.0?????

     Thanks in advance

     Srinivas

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Access of 16 Bit DLLs from Windows NT

Quote:
>     I am posting this for my friend...

>     ParcPlace states on pg. 107 of DLL and C Connect Manual, that they do
>     not support 16-bit DLLs in Windows NT version.

>     Any ideas/comments/suggestions in accessing 16 bit DLLs from NT in
>     Visual Works 2.0?????

We had a 16 bit DLL we ended up rewriting (luckily we had the source code).
Moving to 32 bit isn't very hard - in fact the C code looks like C code
should without all those bogus _far pointers and other associated
Windoze garbage.

The DLL and C Connect on Windows '95 and NT doesn't like directly
calling 16 bit dll's - I believe the problem is related to differences
between the win32s subsystem for WfWg 3.11 and the actual 32 bit
systems in the newer operating systems.

The only way around it is to write "wrapper" DLL's which do the
pointer thunking for you between your original DLL and your new
32 bit wrapper. It's ugly though, and we haven't had a chance to test
it but I would imagine that it should work OK.

dave.

---
David Rubie
Macquarie Bank Ltd.

Sun, 07 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Access of 16 Bit DLLs from Windows NT
Quote:

>      Any ideas/comments/suggestions in accessing 16 bit DLLs from NT in
>      Visual Works 2.0?????
> I faced a similar problem and I ended up writing a piece of C code to conver 16

bit pointers to 32 bit.  It is really simple to do.  You program will be just a
passthrough casting the pointes on the way.  Or you can declare your variables to
be 32 bit and assign 16 bit values into them.

A word of warning - make sure that your compliler's optins are set to C code
generation - VW does not digest C++ compilation as far as I remember.

--
Eugene Lipkin
ObjectSpace, Inc.

http://www.objectspace.com

Sun, 07 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. 16-bit DLL calling from VW on Windows NT

3. Accessing 16 Bit DLLs

4. 16 bit dll problems with VW 2.5 for NT

5. 16-bit DLL on Visual Work 2.0 Windows 3.1

6. 16-bit Windows DLL

7. WATCOM F77 and 16 bit dll for Windows

8. Using TCL dlls with 16-bit Windows application

10. Tcl - 16 Bit Windows DLL?

11. CW v2.0 16-bit APP under Windows NT v4.0