Q: Lex&YACC smalltalk version ?
Author Message
 Q: Lex&YACC smalltalk version ?

I would like to know if there exists a version of the famous unix
utilities Lex & YACC for Smalltalk.

THANK YOU
C.ASSEMAT
INGENIA SA FRANCE

Sun, 06 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Lex&YACC smalltalk version ?

Quote:

>I would like to know if there exists a version of the famous unix
>utilities Lex & YACC for smalltalk.

>THANK YOU
>C.ASSEMAT
>INGENIA SA FRANCE

Go to the UIUC Smalltalk archive (http://st-www.cs.uiuc.edu:/ or by ftp
at st.cs.uiuc.edu) and look for TGen.

David Buck

_________________________________
| David K. Buck                 |

| The Object People             |
|_______________________________|

Mon, 07 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Lex&YACC smalltalk version ?

Quote:
>I would like to know if there exists a version of the famous unix
>utilities Lex & YACC for smalltalk.

>THANK YOU
>C.ASSEMAT
>INGENIA SA FRANCE

There is no original LEX/YACC port to Smalltalk as much as I know, but if
you use VisualWorks, you may add the AdvancedTools-Package which includes
a very nice Compiler-Generator. Its syntax is very YACC-like. There is a
BNF-like notation with semantic actions included as blocks. You have the
possibility to push any Smalltalk-Objects onto the parser stack and
manipulate them using their own protocol. For me as a former BISON-fan
this is my favorite tool to access arbitrary languages. It took me
2-3 hours to run my first example.

Have fun,

Reinhold

Mon, 07 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Lex&YACC smalltalk version ?

Quote:

> >I would like to know if there exists a version of the famous unix
> >utilities Lex & YACC for smalltalk.

> >THANK YOU
> >C.ASSEMAT
> >INGENIA SA FRANCE

> There is no original LEX/YACC port to Smalltalk as much as I know, but if
> you use VisualWorks, you may add the AdvancedTools-Package which includes
> a very nice Compiler-Generator. Its syntax is very YACC-like. There is a
> BNF-like notation with semantic actions included as blocks. You have the
> possibility to push any Smalltalk-Objects onto the parser stack and
> manipulate them using their own protocol. For me as a former BISON-fan
> this is my favorite tool to access arbitrary languages. It took me
> 2-3 hours to run my first example.

> Have fun,

> Reinhold

I believe IBM VisualAge has such a tool. It has the table walkers for
various favours of YACC generated outputs on different platforms, e.g.
Unix and Windows. Email me if you need more info.

Alex

Tue, 08 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Lex&YACC smalltalk version ?
CA> I would like to know if there exists a version of the famous unix
CA> utilities Lex & YACC for smalltalk.

RS> There is no original LEX/YACC port to Smalltalk as much as I know, but
RS> if you use VisualWorks, you may add the AdvancedTools-Package which
RS> includes a very nice Compiler-Generator.

Agreed that it is a reasonable "compiler-generator," but it's biggest
drawback is that it requires the VisualWorks parser engine.  Not a problem
unless you wish to deliver run-time versions of your tool-set.  The process
of creating a closed image REQUIRES that you remove all vestiges of the
parser and complier code that ParcPlace(-Digitalk) puts in VisualWorks.

An alternative, as a previous post alluded to, is to use TGEN, which offers
nearly the same functionality but does not rely upon the VisualWorks
compiler.

Eric Engstrom, Research Scientist, SW Eng. Methods, Honeywell/HTC, Mpls, MN USA

 <baroque \b*-'ro-k\ adj [F,fr. barocco]: of, relating to, or having no monet>

Tue, 08 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Lex&YACC smalltalk version ?
I am currently using VisualWorks 2.0 and Oracle driver with ObjectLens
from Parcplace, but I am upgrading to 2.5.
Does someone knows a bibliografy of boooks or articles about Oracle
ObjectLens, other than the documentation included in the VisualWorks
pachage?

Thanks

Gisella Arienti - Object Oriented Division

AIS - Milan, Italy

Fri, 11 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Lex&YACC smalltalk version ?
I am currently using VisualWorks 2.0 and Oracle driver with ObjectLens
from Parcplace, but I am upgrading to 2.5.
Does someone knows a bibliografy of boooks or articles about Oracle
ObjectLens, other than the documentation included in the VisualWorks
pachage?

Thanks

Gisella Arienti - Object Oriented Division

AIS - Milan, Italy

Fri, 11 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Q: Lex&YACC smalltalk version ?

|> CA> I would like to know if there exists a version of the famous unix
|> CA> utilities Lex & YACC for smalltalk.
|>

|> RS> There is no original LEX/YACC port to Smalltalk as much as I know, but
|> RS> if you use VisualWorks, you may add the AdvancedTools-Package which
|> RS> includes a very nice Compiler-Generator.
|>
|> Agreed that it is a reasonable "compiler-generator," but it's biggest
|> drawback is that it requires the VisualWorks parser engine.  Not a problem
|> unless you wish to deliver run-time versions of your tool-set.  The process
|> of creating a closed image REQUIRES that you remove all vestiges of the
|> parser and complier code that ParcPlace(-Digitalk) puts in VisualWorks.

Are you sure ? Where does your information comes from ?

|> An alternative, as a previous post alluded to, is to use TGEN, which offers
|> nearly the same functionality but does not rely upon the VisualWorks
|> compiler.
|>
|> --
|> --
|> Eric Engstrom, Research Scientist, SW Eng. Methods, Honeywell/HTC, Mpls, MN USA

|>  <baroque \b*-'ro-k\ adj [F,fr. barocco]: of, relating to, or having no monet>

Markus

Sat, 19 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Lex & Yacc for Smalltalk

2. Lex & Yacc for Smalltalk (ParcPlace)

3. Scheme versions of lex and Yacc

4. LEX and YACC in Smalltalk

5. Harbour Project | Lex & Yacc Guide

6. Clipper lex & yacc and parser, build 8

7. Clipper lex & yacc build 6

8. Clipper lex & yacc

9. LEX & YACC

10. (YACC&LEX) PL/I Grammar