- VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available
Author Message
 - VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available

The Fall 2003 Non-Commercial release of Cincom Smalltalk:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

is ready for download.  If you haven't registered before, register
here:

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

If you have registered, then just use the link that came in the email
you were sent when you registered.

We are working on a network installer, and should have something to
post fairly soon - within a week or less, I'm hoping.  That will be a
small download - on the order of 3-4 MB.  Starting the downloaded
application will run a version of the VisualWorks Installer that will
look for components from the website instead of from an ISO or CD.
James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 08 May 2006 23:34:01 GMT
 - VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available
Hi, I have downloaded VW7.1 and OS 6.8 about a month or so ago.  Also,
I have downloaded several of the optional packages.  Thus, I was
wondering, what do I really need to download for this release to
ensure that I get all of the newer components/products?

Thanks,

-Conrad

Quote:
> The Fall 2003 Non-Commercial release of Cincom Smalltalk:

> http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

> is ready for download.  If you haven't registered before, register
> here:

> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/scripts/ProductRegistration.ssp.

> If you have registered, then just use the link that came in the email
> you were sent when you registered.

> We are working on a network installer, and should have something to
> post fairly soon - within a week or less, I'm hoping.  That will be a
> small download - on the order of 3-4 MB.  Starting the downloaded
> application will run a version of the VisualWorks Installer that will
> look for components from the website instead of from an ISO or CD.
> <Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
> James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Tue, 09 May 2006 04:50:25 GMT
 - VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available

Quote:
>Hi, I have downloaded VW7.1 and OS 6.8 about a month or so ago.  Also,
>I have downloaded several of the optional packages.  Thus, I was
>wondering, what do I really need to download for this release to
>ensure that I get all of the newer components/products?

Everything has been updated, so you'll need to get all new components.
The good news is, we are working on a network based installer that
should be ready soon

Quote:

>Thanks,

>-Conrad

>> The Fall 2003 Non-Commercial release of Cincom Smalltalk:

>> http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

>> is ready for download.  If you haven't registered before, register
>> here:

>> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/scripts/ProductRegistration.ssp.

>> If you have registered, then just use the link that came in the email
>> you were sent when you registered.

>> We are working on a network installer, and should have something to
>> post fairly soon - within a week or less, I'm hoping.  That will be a
>> small download - on the order of 3-4 MB.  Starting the downloaded
>> application will run a version of the VisualWorks Installer that will
>> look for components from the website instead of from an ISO or CD.
>> <Talk Small and Carry a Big Class Library>
>> James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
>> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Tue, 09 May 2006 05:23:28 GMT
 - VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available
On WinXPPro, After installing the cd image, I continuously get the error
message
"Source files invalid". But the path is set up correctly.
Any idea?

Ciao

...Jochen

Thu, 11 May 2006 00:04:42 GMT
 - VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:04:42 +0100, "Jochen Riekhof"

Quote:

>On WinXPPro, After installing the cd image, I continuously get the error
>message
>"Source files invalid". But the path is set up correctly.
>Any idea?

In the launcher:

File>>Set VisualWorks Home

That should point to the top level VW directory.

Quote:

>Ciao

>...Jochen

James Robertson, Product Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/blog/blogView

Thu, 11 May 2006 02:09:47 GMT
 - VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available

Quote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:04:42 +0100, "Jochen Riekhof"

> >On WinXPPro, After installing the cd image, I continuously get the error
> >message
> >"Source files invalid". But the path is set up correctly.
> >Any idea?

> In the launcher:
> File>>Set VisualWorks Home
> That should point to the top level VW directory.

And if that doesn't work, maybe it's the WinZip settings

Installing under Windows
4. Configure WinZip's preferences (important):
   Open Options -> Configuration -> Miscellaneous
   and ***UNCHECK*** "TAR file smart CR/LF conversion".

I misread this :-(

UNCHECK that WinZip preference and then extract the files

best wishes, Isaac

Thu, 11 May 2006 07:33:56 GMT
 - VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:23:28 -0500, James A. Robertson

Quote:

>>Hi, I have downloaded VW7.1 and OS 6.8 about a month or so ago.  Also,
>>I have downloaded several of the optional packages.  Thus, I was
>>wondering, what do I really need to download for this release to
>>ensure that I get all of the newer components/products?

>Everything has been updated, so you'll need to get all new components.
>The good news is, we are working on a network based installer that
>should be ready soon

A word to the wise... ( or stupid, or average intelligence or whatever
).

Not all computers that people may want to install software on
want to do it off the net. Especially programmers who know
the problems that can entail.

In many cases ( me for example ) the machine(s) they have connected
to the net are not the ones that they install software on.

I alreasy suspect that among technical people the popularity of
install over the net is dropping, and will soon be held in major
disdain ( go to the netscape groups and see how often people
ask how to download the browser instead of installing it over the
net ). This is especially true given some the hijinks of MS.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a net install, but that you
should have a standard install too, with clear and obvious directions.
----------------------------

This is an address I ignore.
To reply via email, remove 2002 and change yahoo to
interaccess.
----------------
Thaddeus L. Olczyk, PhD
Think twice, code once.

Thu, 11 May 2006 17:17:28 GMT
 - VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available

Quote:
> That should point to the top level VW directory.

Yeah, that did it. I was puzzled as the path was to the  <VW_HOME>/image
directory and this looked somewhat correct :-)

Tnaks!

Ciao

...Jochen

Thu, 11 May 2006 18:30:46 GMT
 - VW 7.2 and OS 6.9 available

Quote:

> I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a net install, but that you
> should have a standard install too, with clear and obvious directions.

We are in the process of reviewing and changing our download/install
strategy, but we are not planning to abandon the ISO/whole-shebang
approach in favor of a net-based installer.

Most likely, we will add a net installer, move to platform-specific
installs, and keep the ISO download for those who want to burn CDs.

The goal is to make the whole download process simpler, faster, and
more obvious for newbies.

Regards,

M. Roberts
Cincom Systems, Inc.

Fri, 12 May 2006 16:50:12 GMT

1. VW 5i.2 and Linux 7.1 or 7.2

2. wish problem on SUN/OS 4.4.3 with Tcl 7.2 and Tk 3.5

3. Various Ruby RPMs available for Red Hat Linux 7.2

4. Jun386 with VW5i.4 on Linux SuSE 7.2 causes core dumps

5. Looking For Post It 7.2

6. Data Plotting Library DISLIN 7.2

7. Database Consultant - 5 years DBA, Oracle 6 - 7.2 - 7.3, PL/SQL, UNIX, backup/recovery - NE

8. Can't use md5.rb with openssl on RedHat 7.2

9. mit scheme 7.2 for sun 4 (Sparc 2)

10. install of mysql-ruby-2.3.1 on mandrake 7.2