assert (FailureOfPPD = FailureOfSmalltalk)
Author Message
 assert (FailureOfPPD = FailureOfSmalltalk)

I've seen numerous postings in this newsgroup that seem to imply (or
directly state) that if PPD fails then Smalltalk will fail.

Historical note:  Visio invented the spreadsheet.  Visio failed.
Spreadsheets definitely did not.

Even if PPD fails, which is yet to be determined, there are other
successful Smalltalk vendors who are large enough to accommodate PPD's
customer base.
--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 assert (FailureOfPPD = FailureOfSmalltalk)

Quote:

> I've seen numerous postings in this newsgroup that seem to imply (or
> directly state) that if PPD fails then Smalltalk will fail.

> Historical note:  Visio invented the spreadsheet.  Visio failed.
> Spreadsheets definitely did not.

> Even if PPD fails, which is yet to be determined, there are other
> successful Smalltalk vendors who are large enough to accommodate PPD's
> customer base.

AMEN!!
Bill F.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 assert (FailureOfPPD = FailureOfSmalltalk)

Quote:
> Even if PPD fails, which is yet to be determined, there are other
> successful Smalltalk vendors who are large enough to accommodate PPD's
> customer base.
> --

Well, you use the plural: vendors, but there is only one credible Vendor,
IBM.
The other vendors are more flakey financially then PP-D.  So the thing
about PPD failing, is, it leaves one vendor.

One vendor makes Smalltalk a "proprietary" solution, like FoxBase or Forte.

Also, that one vendor is IBM. Some people love IBM. A lot of people hate
IBM.
To the extent that Smalltalk==Mainframe, or Smalltalk==IBM -- I think a lot
of people are turned off by that -- we in general are PC/Desktop folks and
not
mainframe programmers.

        Jordan

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 assert (FailureOfPPD = FailureOfSmalltalk)

Quote:

>Also, that one vendor is IBM. Some people love IBM. A lot of people hate
>IBM.
>To the extent that Smalltalk==Mainframe, or Smalltalk==IBM -- I think a lot
>of people are turned off by that -- we in general are PC/Desktop folks and
>not
>mainframe programmers.

>    Jordan

A common complaint of Smalltalk in the early stages I'm sure was that it
wouldn't easily scale to the mainframe.  It would be rather ironic don't you
think that IBM Smalltalk fails because it's too geard towards the mainframe?
Oh yes, and I presume Lotus Notes is far too geared for the mainframe as
well, because after all, it's from IBM.

Ian

                  http://www.peacesummit.com/ian/home.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 assert (FailureOfPPD = FailureOfSmalltalk)

--------------98B0981FA96C2EB5F0B910E9

Quote:

> [snip]Also, that one vendor is IBM. Some people love IBM. A lot of
> people hate
> IBM.
> To the extent that Smalltalk==Mainframe, or Smalltalk==IBM -- I think
> a lot
> of people are turned off by that -- we in general are PC/Desktop folks
> and
> not
> mainframe programmers.

Jordan,
I'm confused by your complaint about mainframe programmers.  IBM
Smalltalk doesn't require you to use a mainframe.  On the contrary,
there were 3 versions of the product released before a mainframe version
was even available.  It runs very nicely on Windows (95, NT, 3.1), OS/2,
and Unix, and IMO combines many of the best features of VSE and VW.  I
do agree with your earlier statements about it being "bloated" somewhat,
but Envy allows you to unload those parts that you don't want in your
image.

FWIW,
David
David Whiteman                          Applied Reasoning
Made with 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup 111 Corning Road, Suite 220
whiteman at appliedreasoning.com        Cary, NC 27511-9231
919-851-7677                            http://www.appliedreasoning.com
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/3261

--------------98B0981FA96C2EB5F0B910E9

begin:          vcard
fn:             David Whiteman
n:              Whiteman;David
org:            Applied Reasoning
adr:            111 Corning Road;;Suite 220;Cary;NC;27511;USA

title:          Senior Member, Technical Staff
tel;work:       919-851-7677
tel;fax:        919-851-9297
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
end:            vcard

--------------98B0981FA96C2EB5F0B910E9--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. assert 'assert'

2. what's more efficient? retract-assert, or assert-assert

3. zero cost assert

4. ASSERT problem

5. Assert error

6. ASSERT Problem

7. assert error

8. c4a Newbie: Assert Failed

9. Assert problems after conversion from 4 to 5

10. Asserting the RTS signal for serial ports

11. Prolog's assert in other languages.

12. Assert() and Friends