VisualWorks Opensource Components???
Author Message
 VisualWorks Opensource Components???

I am going to write an Internet/XML based application in Dolphin, but
I want it to be portable to other dialects. I recall that the XML and XSL
frameworks in VisualWorks are opensource but looking on the web
I only found the source code for XML. I also read a while ago on Les
Tyrrel's wiki that the Internet Connectivity parcel is under the LGPL,
but the link from Les's page was only to a small part of the parcel. I'd
like to attempt a port of all these important components to Dolphin;
is this true that the missing parts are opensource? Can I simply
take them out of VisualWorks (there is no opensource notice in
the .pst files I found in VWNC) and use the code without breaking
copyright?

Sincerely,
mb

--
Posted from chiarapc.rett.polimi.it [131.175.6.76]
via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:55:08 GMT
 VisualWorks Opensource Components???
The XML code is open, and the XSL code is supposed to be - so with those
two, you are certainly in the clear.  As to the IC package, it's not
open source, outside the small part you mentioned.

On the other hand, we do want to encourage greater cross vendor
portability.  While I can't give you a legal answer, I can say that the
Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager is not opposed to the idea ;-)

Quote:

> I am going to write an Internet/XML based application in Dolphin, but
> I want it to be portable to other dialects. I recall that the XML and XSL
> frameworks in VisualWorks are opensource but looking on the web
> I only found the source code for XML. I also read a while ago on Les
> Tyrrel's wiki that the Internet Connectivity parcel is under the LGPL,
> but the link from Les's page was only to a small part of the parcel. I'd
> like to attempt a port of all these important components to Dolphin;
> is this true that the missing parts are opensource? Can I simply
> take them out of VisualWorks (there is no opensource notice in
> the .pst files I found in VWNC) and use the code without breaking
> copyright?

> Sincerely,
> mb

Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:08:01 GMT

1. opensource ADA software and components

2. ENVYized VisualWorks Components?

3. Win95 Explorer-like component for VisualWorks?

4. Arbitray Components in VisualWorks 2.5

5. BlackBox / Component Pascal - Compound Components

6. get component name and hilite component

7. Help with an opensource project

8. MSN OpenSource project

9. OpenSource stuff for you all

10. OpenSource Napster

11. GemStone releases GemConnect for Sybase to OpenSource

12. OpenSource-Project: Assistance wanted