Objectworks R4.1 under windows 95
Author Message
 Objectworks R4.1 under windows 95

On a number of pc's running window 95, objectworks crashes with a general
protection fault. We suspect that this problem may be caused by a different
file allocation table, which is not supported by older programs. If anyone
knows the cause of the problem or a possible solution, please let us know,

Thanks,

Marc Geilen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Objectworks R4.1 under windows 95

Quote:

> On a number of pc's running window 95, objectworks crashes with a general
> protection fault. We suspect that this problem may be caused by a different
> file allocation table, which is not supported by older programs. If anyone
> knows the cause of the problem or a possible solution, please let us know,

Marc, this is all from a _very_ long time ago, so my memory may not provide all the answers, but I'll try and explain.

OW4.1 was released early in 92 way before windows3.1 even became
common. We (ParcPlace-as-it-was-then-and-when-I-was-PC-boss) actually
delayed the release somewhat in order to be able to test under early
release copies of w3.1 and make changes.
Part of the problem was that OW ws always a 32bit application and as
you miht remember window was (still is in some parts I hear) a 16 bit
system. It had _pathetic_ suport for trying to use the cpu in 32bit
mode; so pathetic we ended up writing our own sorta-win32S system to
allow OW to run. It was fragile, dangerous and based on 'evil
magicks' that you wouldn't want to admit knowing.

When win32S was released, we swapped over to using it, since there
was less for us to support on our own, and some chance of de{*filter*}s
etc working with it. I think this happened with the release of VW1.0b
for windows.

So the essence of the problem is that you have an executable that is
trying to force a 16bit OS to allow it to work in 32bit modes and you
are running it on a totally different OS that likes to pretend to be
32bit. I can't imagine that there is any serious chance of it
working, let alone working well.

I don't think the file stuff is likely to have very much to do with
it, because the vm simply used normal file calls - which are in the
OS not the vm executable.

Sorry to sound so negative, but I think you have very little chance
of getting this to work.

tim

--
Useful random insult:- Went to the dentist to have his cranial cavity
filled.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Objectworks R4.1 under windows 95

As far as I can remember, the ObjectEngine only crashes if started within a
directory which contains one or more "long names". The graphics adaptor might
be a problem, too. Try starting OE20 with a different color depth.

Thilo Schmid
SageKHK, Frankfurt, Germany

Quote:

> On a number of pc's running window 95, objectworks crashes with a general
> protection fault. We suspect that this problem may be caused by a different
> file allocation table, which is not supported by older programs. If anyone
> knows the cause of the problem or a possible solution, please let us know,

> Thanks,

> Marc Geilen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Objectworks R4.1 under windows 95

Quote:

> As far as I can remember, the ObjectEngine only crashes if started within a
> directory which contains one or more "long names". The graphics adaptor might
> be a problem, too. Try starting OE20 with a different color depth.

If Marc has 'OE20.exe' he isn't running ObjectWorks 4.1; and he wouldn't have the problems with the 16/32bit code systems I pointed out. OE20.exe was the vm for the VisualWorks 2.0 release.

--
Useful random insult:- An expert on the historical significance of
cottage cheese.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. MidiShare and Smalltalk\Objectworks R4.1

2. User Interface Builder for Objectworks\Smalltalk R4

3. Objectworks/Smalltalk R4 display update problem

4. Printing from Objectworks R4

5. Objectworks / Smalltalk R4

6. Objectworks R4 Bug in Mac

7. ANNOUNCE: Helga - ODBC,CGI,Tcl,Windows NT,Windows 95,MS Windows

8. Object Studio 5.0 for Windows 95 announced with Microsoft Launch 95

9. Win '95 DDE calls in ObjectREXX for Windows 95/NT

10. Ada 83 or 95 Compiler for Windows 95 or NT

11. ADA 95 Compiler Windows 95/QNX

12. Help - Developing Windows 95 apps with ADA 95