Has anyone used Intelligent Documents' Document Workbench?
Author Message
 Has anyone used Intelligent Documents' Document Workbench?

I've been looking at the IntelligentDocuments site casually for a few
months now ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).  I'm pretty curious as to
the features it provides, but when I contacted ID about getting an
evaluation copy I was told that I would need to purchase the product and
that I had 30 days to evaluate it (via the 30 day money back
guarantee).

Well, the product is $1500 and I don't think I can really evaluate it
within 30 days (it has taken me about 2 months to fully evaluate the
Aragon widgets/extensions to the point where I now want to purchase
their product).  The problem I have is that in order to evaluate a
product such as widget kits or Doc. Workbench I need to use them in a
few prototypes which takes me longer than a month to do.

So, I'm looking for some feedback from people who have used the Document
Workbench on real apps.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!
pete

--
______    _______________    _____
      \  /Peter W. Hatch \  /
       >< Zen Smalltalker ><
______/  \_______________/  \_____

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Has anyone used Intelligent Documents' Document Workbench?

Quote:

> I've been looking at the IntelligentDocuments site casually for a few
> months now (http://www.intelligentdoc.com).  I'm pretty curious as to
> the features it provides, but when I contacted ID about getting an
> evaluation copy I was told that I would need to purchase the product and
> that I had 30 days to evaluate it (via the 30 day money back
> guarantee).

> Well, the product is $1500 and I don't think I can really evaluate it
> within 30 days (it has taken me about 2 months to fully evaluate the
> Aragon widgets/extensions to the point where I now want to purchase
> their product).  The problem I have is that in order to evaluate a
> product such as widget kits or Doc. Workbench I need to use them in a
> few prototypes which takes me longer than a month to do.

> So, I'm looking for some feedback from people who have used the Document
> Workbench on real apps.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

I used it in a real estate contracts preparation application several years
ago under VSE Smalltalk. It was outstanding. Used it again in an intelligent
catalog application a couple years ago under Visual Works. It was even
better. Recommend. Then we did not use it to build a proposal generator for
our salesforce automation application, and lived to rue that decision, as we
rolled our own proposal generator, interfaced to Word, and all these
approaches were duds.

Rob Brown is a veteran of building many document processors in Smalltalk,
and his code baseline is mature and workmanship, high.

-Alan Wostenberg
Aurum, a Baan Company, Colorado

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Has anyone used Intelligent Documents' Document Workbench?

Quote:

> > I've been looking at the IntelligentDocuments site casually for a few
> > months now (http://www.intelligentdoc.com).  I'm pretty curious as to
> > the features it provides, but when I contacted ID about getting an
> > evaluation copy I was told that I would need to purchase the product and
> > that I had 30 days to evaluate it (via the 30 day money back
> > guarantee).

> > Well, the product is $1500 and I don't think I can really evaluate it
> > within 30 days (it has taken me about 2 months to fully evaluate the
> > Aragon widgets/extensions to the point where I now want to purchase
> > their product).  The problem I have is that in order to evaluate a
> > product such as widget kits or Doc. Workbench I need to use them in a
> > few prototypes which takes me longer than a month to do.

> > So, I'm looking for some feedback from people who have used the Document
> > Workbench on real apps.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

> I used it in a real estate contracts preparation application several years
> ago under VSE Smalltalk. It was outstanding. Used it again in an intelligent
> catalog application a couple years ago under Visual Works. It was even
> better. Recommend. Then we did not use it to build a proposal generator for
> our salesforce automation application, and lived to rue that decision, as we
> rolled our own proposal generator, interfaced to Word, and all these
> approaches were duds.

> Rob Brown is a veteran of building many document processors in Smalltalk,
> and his code baseline is mature and workmanship, high.

> -Alan Wostenberg
> Aurum, a Baan Company, Colorado

Huh.  Makes it sound really good.

It looks to me like Document Workbench (DW) contains a word processing
framework.  It this correct?  If so, how basic it it?  Does it contain a
"CommonWordProcessor" for instance, which gets you up and running with
50-60% of the features you need?  What I'm looking for is a platform
independent way to generate scientific journal papers from my app.  The
app does all of the calculations (the largest part of these papers is
the tables I already generate), but I think it would be very nice to
allow my users to be able to do the whole paper from within my program
(while still giving them the option of using WP or Word).  I looked for
a bit at interfacing with Word for this, but my market has a significant
WP/other contingency which would make this strategy a poor use of my
time.

From everything that I read (and from your post) it looks like DW will
give me everything I need.  BTW, I mailed Rob Brown several times when I
initially stumbled upon DW.  He was very prompt in replying, and was
very helpful.  I only wish they could release a *.pcl-only evaluation
copy of the system so I could prove to myself how miserable life's been
without it :-)

-pete
--
______    _______________    _____
      \  /Peter W. Hatch \  /
       >< Zen Smalltalker ><
______/  \_______________/  \_____

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Has anyone used Intelligent Documents' Document Workbench?

Quote:

>I've been looking at the IntelligentDocuments site casually for a few
>months now (http://www.intelligentdoc.com).  I'm pretty curious as to
>the features it provides, but when I contacted ID about getting an
>evaluation copy I was told that I would need to purchase the product and
>that I had 30 days to evaluate it (via the 30 day money back
>guarantee).

>Well, the product is $1500 and I don't think I can really evaluate it
>within 30 days (it has taken me about 2 months to fully evaluate the
>Aragon widgets/extensions to the point where I now want to purchase
>their product).  The problem I have is that in order to evaluate a
>product such as widget kits or Doc. Workbench I need to use them in a
>few prototypes which takes me longer than a month to do.

>So, I'm looking for some feedback from people who have used the Document
>Workbench on real apps.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

>Thanks!
>pete

ONe year ago the entire developer manual was available for inspection.
That was a good source on what the product did.
Do you need a full-featured word processor in your app or are
you looking just for a report writer?

- alexis

>--
>______        _______________    _____
>      \      /Peter W. Hatch \  /
>       >< Zen Smalltalker ><
>______/  \_______________/  \_____

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Has anyone used Intelligent Documents' Document Workbench?
Yes.

Document Workbench is a wonderful tool.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Has anyone used Intelligent Documents' Document Workbench?

Quote:

> >I've been looking at the IntelligentDocuments site casually for a few
> >months now (http://www.intelligentdoc.com).  I'm pretty curious as to
> >the features it provides, but when I contacted ID about getting an
> >evaluation copy I was told that I would need to purchase the product and
> >that I had 30 days to evaluate it (via the 30 day money back
> >guarantee).

> >Well, the product is $1500 and I don't think I can really evaluate it
> >within 30 days (it has taken me about 2 months to fully evaluate the
> >Aragon widgets/extensions to the point where I now want to purchase
> >their product).  The problem I have is that in order to evaluate a
> >product such as widget kits or Doc. Workbench I need to use them in a
> >few prototypes which takes me longer than a month to do.

> >So, I'm looking for some feedback from people who have used the Document
> >Workbench on real apps.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

> >Thanks!
> >pete

> ONe year ago the entire developer manual was available for inspection.
> That was a good source on what the product did.
> Do you need a full-featured word processor in your app or are
> you looking just for a report writer?

> - alexis

I'm looking for more of a word processor.  The problem I have is that
there isn't a template for journal articles, instead the end-user needs
to have the flexibility to do it "their own way" as as far as formatting
and layout go.

I've looked at the DW developer manual (at least I think it was the
developer manual).  The problem I have is that I've grown fairly jaded
towards written descriptions, so I'm now a "seeing is believing"
consumer.

Thanks,
pete

Quote:

--
______    _______________    _____
      \  /Peter W. Hatch \  /
       >< Zen Smalltalker ><
______/  \_______________/  \_____

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Has anyone used Intelligent Documents' Document Workbench?
An Idea:

Get three different entities to order the thing in succession and
return it one after another.  File out your stuff from the last
one and into the next one.  etc.  for as long as you need.

What's the reason this wouldn't work?

Besides the old standard: "it just isn't done."

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Anyone with well documented program using threads

2. Announce: Document Workbench 2.0

3. Help with Document Workbench

4. Global Document Handling Template - Document Send Extension

5. Most ANSI Critics Haven't Read and Used ANSI Documents

6. Most ANSI Critics Haven't Read and Used ANSI Documents

7. Most ANSI Critics Haven't Read and Used ANSI Documents

8. document, document

9. This is NOT 'Documenting'.. yuk

10. EXEC CICS DOCUMENT INSERT 'AT' parameter

11. Document'er and Diagram'er ???

12. Does anyone have a document writer handy?