PC Serial Port from VW 2.5
Author Message
 PC Serial Port from VW 2.5

Hi,

I'm new to Smalltalk and to VisualWorks, and I need to do input/output through a PC Serial Port.

I can't find in any of the VW reference materials how to do this. If someone could point me in the right direction,
I'd be eternally grateful.

Yours,
Kwin

Sat, 19 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 PC Serial Port from VW 2.5

Kwin,

    Assuming that you are coding for Windows 95 or Windows NT, you need to
use the Win32 Communications API.  You use functions like CreateFile to
open a handle to the comm port, SetupComm to set parameters, ReadFile and
WriteFile to read from and write to the comm port, and CloseHandle to
close the handle to the comm port.  I recommend that you write a DLL with
relatively simple interface that calls these Win32 API functions.  You can
then use DLL & C Connect to interface your Smalltalk code to the API.

   This is non-trivial but not beyond the ability of someone who is
experienced in PC programming (especially if you have Win32 experience)
and willing to roll up their sleeves.  By the way, my understanding is
that the general approach that I have outlined (except possibly the part
about writing a separate DLL) is what ParcPlace recommends--but of course,
I don't speak for them.

Gordon Davis

ObjectSpace, Inc.

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP: VW 2.5 Mac -> WinNT Port

2. accessing the serial port in VW

3. vw to serial port

4. Help: VW Smalltalk 2.5

5. VW 2.5 startup screen HELP

6. Stone Age text editing in VW 2.5

7. Sound in VW 2.5

8. VW 2.5 Rubberbanding, howto?

9. VWave 1.0 (VW 2.5 may apply)

10. VW 2.5 MultiRow Select Table Widget Needed

11. VW 2.5 menuBar hide, show

12. VW 2.5 automated testing tools